How We Wore It: 7 Ways To Style The Grunge Trend

Sep 13, 2015


Ever seen a trend, liked it, but weren't necessarily sure if you could style it in a "you" kind of way? "How We Wore It" will show you how different women braved the trend and played with it until they got it to fit in with their styles- and hopefully that'll inspire us to poke a toe out of our comfort zones and try something new, too! Today's trend will be tying shirts around your waist. Happy creating!


shirts-tied-at-waist


Use it as an opportunity to bring a little pattern into your look by either tying a cameo jacket, printed blazer, or colorful cardigan around your waist. Bonus points if you have some other bold print already worked into your outfit.


shirts-tied-at-waist-look

Add a laid-back vibe to your polished look by tying a striped cardigan around your waist when you're wearing a prim button up.


shirts-tied-at-waist-outfit

Give yourself the illusion of more coverage when you're wearing a small mini or thigh-grazing shorts by casually slinging your denim or leather jacket around your hips. It gives your short proportions a little more volume.

shirts-tied-at-waist-outfit-1

Have it peek out from underneath the hem of your shirt by pairing it with a loose, boxy blouse. This gives your look a casually bohemian vibe.


shirts-tied-at-waist-outfit-2

Add some color to your minimalist look by knotting a denim jacket or playfully hued cardi around your neutral dress.


shirts-tied-at-waist-outfit-3

Give your overalls a chance to be layered by tying a shirt or blazer around your waist. Use the technique to either add more color or print to your look, or just to give the denim an urban touch.


shirts-tied-at-waist-outfit-4

Don't forget your plaids! Break up a monochrome look by tying a plaid shirt like an afterthought around your hips. Plaid will give it a grungier feel, while a chambray shirt or colored sweater will make a softer statement.



Let's Discuss: Which of these looks are doable with your style?

For more inspiration, check out the sources!: ONE| TWO| THREE| FOUR| FIVE| SIX| SEVEN


PS: If you'd like more "How We Wore It" series, why don't you read:

11 comments :

  1. Wrapping a button down shirt around ones waist can make an outfit look soo effortless! I love it!
    Also, can I own everything from look seven? Great inspiration post, as per usual! xx

    www.blancheneve.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a little grunge, it must come from my love of Nirvana but thats another thing haha! Using a little lace or some heels keeps it grounded, love the ripped jeans x

    http://www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/trousers/culottes/cropped-studio-trousers-c733899p2775618.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Finally, I can comment again! I don't know what was going on, but your page stopped letting me comment for forever. Anyway... I think it's funny how in fourth grade or so, my mum would always send me out with a shirt tied around my waist in case I got cold. By fifth grade, I hated the way it looked and swore I'd never do it... but I've recently jumped back into this trend!
    : signe :
    : the daily savant :
    Dia Bracelet GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks 1, 2, and 7 are totally me. Grunge is my thing in the fall. I live it and love it so I'm super excited to get out the ripped jeans and my favorite plaid shirt.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number was similar to what I wore today!! Instead of stripes, I had on an Aztec printed dress with the denim tied around my waist! :))
    ♥NY
    Yours Truly, NY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh! I love this. I have to say though, grunge isn't exactly what I can wear to work. ;) On a weekend though, anything over shorts is my style-- it's so hot here, still!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sincerely Jules look in #4. That top is so perfect. I love her style. It's so laid back, and not fussy. Thanks for the inspo!

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the styles are just awesome. I am thinking If I try all it would be awesome. I really love all the looks.

    Traditional clothing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how much denim is in these looks! I've been trying to acquire more, actually, and yesterday I finally FINALLY FINALLY found the perfect denim shirt. Ugh. After like three years, man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so many cute looks to try this fall! I've been looking for the perfect pair of destroyed denim, they are my favorite!
    www.samanthamariko.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this trend so much! Throwing a shirt around my waist makes the whole outfit much more effortless. I could imagine myself wearing almost all of these. If I had to choose my top 3 would be #1, #4 and #5. I love how you can wear it with any kind of outfit, elegant, boho, sophisticated, casual. These looks gave me some really good ideas, so thank you :)

    xo, Esther

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>