Going completely monochrome can be a tricky trend to pull off. First of all, you don't want to look like a walking popsicle, and secondly it can feel a tad lazy. Piling on the same hue from head to toe isn't exactly what you call inspired, but it can look incredibly chic if the correct balance is struck.
I know that it's starting to sound like a delicate tightrope between looking stylish or like your Aunt Verna at the family picnic (the white capris, the white bucket hat, the white bra strap peeking out from her white top), but it's not that hard! Just keep these four simple rules in mind:
- Break The Color Into Different Shades: Don't go the same hue of white from head to toe. Instead incorporate different shades to add some dimension to the look: Pull out your oatmeals, your beiges, and your eggshells. A little variation goes a long way.
- Keep Accessories In A Close Color Family: The accessories are going to be the thing that helps your outfit from looking too one-dimensional, but make sure they don't stray too far from the intended color. For example, here my belt is a soft caramel color. It's clearly no where near white but it's a distant cousin to beige, which still makes it work. The small variation adds some interest without breaking the monochrome vibe.
- Lipstick Will Be Your Friend: A great trick to help spice up your all white outfit is to pick a bold lipstick to add some personality into the look. Go either really dark and vampy to add some contrast, or go bright and electric to make it playful and flirty.
- Focus On Proportions: To keep your outfit from looking too basic, focus on combining pieces with different proportions together. For example, pair high waist pants with crop tops; shorts with bell-shaped tops; midi skirts with boxy crops; or high waist pants with loose and baggy tunics or button downs. The interesting shapes and lines will make up for the monochromatic hue.
Let's discuss: What's your go-to trick for wearing all of one color? What do you focus on to make it feel stylish?
PS: For more summer styling inspiration, why don't you read:
- The Right Way to Wear Sheer This Summer
- The Secret to Balancing Two Different Styles
- Make This Tweak to Your Summer Wardrobe Game
Shorts: American Apparel
Belt: Mom's closet
Purse: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage