3 Ways to Think Outside the Box with 3 Summer Staples

Jun 29, 2015

Remember back when it was chilly and still spring, back when you'd stand in front of your kitchen window with a hot cup of tea, willing the last of the frost to melt with your narrowed eyes? As you moved the hot cup from hand to hand, you'd plan all the beautiful outfits you'd zip up and smooth down once the days got warmer and longer, imagining all the white prairie dresses and cheeky bralette tops.

But now that we're in it- and preparing to say goodbye to June no less!- we've found ourselves in the usual ruts. White dress? Check. Pair it with the gladiator sandals. High waist shorts? Check, and toss a crop top over 'em. Floppy hat? Yep, and don't forget to match it with a shift dress.

Tried and true and still lovely, if not a little...repetitive. And while me and you both love a classic formula, it's fun to roll up your sleeves every once in a while and reinvent the wheel. That's exactly what I did today with Grayson Shop, working together to take your three summer staples (bohemian wide leg trousers, open backed tank top, and a striped maxi) and played and tinkered with them until we found a way to give them new life.

The results? Pretty dang transformative looks that are every bit as fun.




Look One: Bohemian Wide Leg Trousers


how-to-style-wide-leg-pants


The wide leg pants were all the rage last year, turning every one of us into carefree, messy braided, heavy lided bohemian babes. Paired with white tops, crochet crops, or flowy tunics, none of us had any qualms pretending we were Goldie Hawn in her heyday. But when you bookmark a piece for just one specific look, that item doesn't too much air time in your closet. It only gets paired with like-minded vibes.

So break its stereotype and pair it with something completely different! In this ensemble, I matched my wide leg pants with a preppy striped top, giving it a playful, nautical vibe full of color and cheek. The polar opposite of bohemian, and just as perfect.


outfit details
Pants: c/o Grayson Shop (only $17!)
Shirt: Forever 21
Purse: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage
Sandals: Target

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg





Look Two: The Open Backed Tank


Styling-open-back-tank-tops

A flowy tank usually looks its best paired with jeans or classic shorts, but what if you change up the look by hiding that loose and baggy hem? For example, tuck it into a skirt and turn it into a minimalist top with a fancier touch. Change the script of the piece by changing it from a basic, casual tank to an elegant and statement-making blouse, pairing it with a printed skirt and a statement bag. Especially with its open back and sandy color, that's an easy feat to pull!


outfit details
Tank: c/o Grayson Shop (only $10!)
Skirt: Thrifted
Purse: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg





Look Three: The Striped Maxi


layering-summer-maxi-dresses

The maxi dress is a staple for all of us, and is usually reached for when we're feeling stightly lazy sartorially-wise. It just takes no thought: You pop it over your head and go. Add a little oomph to the look with some clever layering by either adding a chambray shirt underneath for some color, or a short sleeve oxford blouse for the pop of a collar. Cinch the waist with a belt to give it a put-together feel, and knot the hem to the side to break up that long, column line. The end result? An interesting but still classic look that gives your dress some more potential!


outfit details
Dress: c/o Grayson Shop (only $9.99!)
Shirt: Thrifted
Belt: from mom
Sandals: Target

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg




Let's Discuss: What's a fresh new way you're styled a piece away from its intended trend? My favorite look has to be the bohemian pants one! So fun and unexpected.


For more out-of-the-box styling, continue reading:






29 comments :

  1. The open back tank is a summer look I love so much, but with what I'll call my advanced cup size, is sadly not an option for me except in desperate circumstances. So I will live vicariously through your beautiful backless summer look - and through you wearing those gorgeous wide leg trousers, too, how fabulous!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you back, lady! I love the wide legged trousers, the print is so lovely!! In the last month I've gotten addicted to genie pants...they're so comfy, effortless, and look chic as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that second dress on you! And these are such creative summer outfits. I often see outfits that are just skimpy and short for summer, but I love how you put these together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore the second look! It's just perfect!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the open-backed tank with the tropical skirt and that gorgeous bag. So 40's in Hawaii. Also those trousers are to diiiiie for.

    xx
    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the different ways you styled these summer staples! I'm usually not creative with my summer outfits since I'm just trying to avoid the heat, so I really enjoyed these suggestions. I love the idea of combining wide leg trousers with a nautical top. My favorite combination, though, has to be the chambray skirt underneath the striped maxi dress.

    -Helen
    Sweet Helen Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the bohemian pants - I LOVE it. I've recently broken my patterned loose pants out of the summer-box and am loving them. Now I want something with wide stripes to pair them with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just too cute. I love the open backed tank top and I definitely need a striped maxi dress soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too get in these ruts. Which usually leads to an unnecessary shopping binge. I need to shop my own closet and tap into some creativity. (; I swear you come up with the coolest looks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite part of the day is when I find out you've posted on the blogsie! Seriously I need more posts from you, I know you have a life and all, but I am dying for your style shots and tips! The three outfits here are spectacular, especially love the wide keg pants, I'm kind of tired of all the same outfits that have been circulating the net, these here are a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE all of these looks! I wish I could rock a low back shirt like that, but unfortunately I need to wear a bra! Dang boobs!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely repetitive as hell. I throw on some slight layers, eg. a kimono, but usually end up taking it off once I put myself out in the hot sun.These looks are so cute, Marlen. I haven't yet stumbled across these wide legged bohemian pants but... they look like rugs for your legs, so I am totally digging them. #ruglife

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving those wide leg trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exactly the inspiration I needed, as I'm currently dying in 90+ degree weather and feeling redundant, for sure. That last outfit is my favorite, love the layering and the maxi dress, but I can never figure out how to do the knot without it looking like a terrible mistake?! Haha, either way yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy it's finally summer! The backless cami is gorgeous, love the floaty relaxed vibes x

    aforvogue

    New Post

    ReplyDelete
  16. hihi love all 3 looks...perfection as always!!
    kisses from dubai ♥
    www.mahryska.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Creative, all. My favorite was the skirt and tank top.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these looks, that first outfit looks super summery and so light!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all three outfis and the colour palettes you put together. My favourite though has to be number one! I love the red and blue together, so bright and summery! And it looks like a wonderfully comfy ensemble too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely adore the palazzo pants on you! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. How did you come up with the maxi look? It's more than a lil oomp.

    windycitywardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of slipping on a denim top or button up underneath a maxi. I would never think to do that! I'm not super adventurous, although I've been trying to wear belts more, haha, which I know sounds lame but I never really utilize them and I'm just now figuring out they can really change how an entire outfit looks. I loved your tips! :)

    www.jessandtonic.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your summer look girl! Very bohochic.

    XO, Jessi
    mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. great looks :)
    kisses from dubai ♥
    www.mahryska.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love them all especially that open back tank! Meow! I really enjoyed seeing all your beautiful images of your vacation on IG! So jealous!
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always thought it's so risky to match different motives - stripes with other prints, but I have to admit it looks really good. Especially in those bright, intensive colors.
    I love the striped dress and the whole open back tank outfit!

    Natalie
    www.indecision-and-reveries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how you styled the open-back tank, red lips and all. such a beauty :)

    x Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marlen!! Girl, I miss seeing your posts so I had to come back and comment again. Hope everything's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wish I were brave enough to try the wide leg trousers or open back tank. They look awesome on you though! ❤
    munchies&musings

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>