3 Tips to Rock Denim on Denim

Mar 5, 2015

holliday-june-statement-headband



holliday-june-minimalist-headband

I've always been on the fence when it comes to the denim on denim look. On the one side, I love it. On the other side...I hate it. I just keep swinging from extreme to extreme, depending on the day. And it looks like today, I'm a total advocate!

I'm not sure what exactly makes me so fickle about it, but I do know that when I do like it, it's because of a few unbudging rules:


  1. 1. The two denim pieces have to be different colors. Or else we're encroaching Canadian tuxedo territory. Sisterfriend, unless you're about to walk down the aisle with a Coors Light in your hand, something like that should never be on your body. Promise me, okay?
  2. 2. The look gets broken up with just one (count 'em: one) piece. Whether it be a duster vest like I have here, or a neon cross-body bag, or a pretty jacket, there should only be one element adding extra flair to the overall simple look. That way the outfit stays chic and unfussy.
  3. 3. Adding a statement accessory is okay, as long as you don't overdo it. Here I added a gold headband from Holliday June to add a little summin-summin to the look, but that's where I cut things off. A statement necklace or a pair of attention-grabbing shoes would be interesting, too, but only if it's one at a time!
The perk of a denim on denim look is that it's so easy- it's minimal styling but with a lot of wow-power. What do you think? Have you ever worn the look?


holliday-june-headpiece
holliday-june-hair-piece


Psst- if you found yourself liking the leather headband, be sure to enter my Holliday June giveaway to win your own- there's only a couple days left!

MEET THE ETSY STORE




22 comments :

  1. I love this! #1 that's too funny. I can't help but think of Britney and Justin with their matching denim outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely on the same boat as you with the denim drama! I know that they're supposed to be different colors and that's that! I prefer your interpertation, so much richer and stylish! The headpiece is magical, so 20's, I'm obsessed! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually kinda love denim on denim- but I especially love the way you accessorized- perfection, always!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the classic 70s vibe of this look - it suits you so well!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you wear denim on denim! That duster vest makes the look really unique. I agree, one piece has to be a different shade, otherwise it's just not cute!

    Alysia Ave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having two different shades of denim is so important! I got rid of my denim shirt and it is one of my biggest regrets in life. Double denim is sometimes tricky to pull off but you have done so splendidly!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me laugh so much with the first tip haha! Great great piece of advice xx

    Beatriz // Classy and Trendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that head piece! I agree - sometimes I love the denim on denim and sometimes I'm not a fan.. I love the way you've done it though! -♥- Rachel (For the Birds)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha so much emphasis on tip no1--you don't know how many people I've seen wearing the same color head to-toe/very similar shades. Oh goodness it is a mess! Your look here is so fabulous and I love your tips! xx You're such a beauty~

    <(') Hoda | JooJoo Azad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even I feel the same way bout the denim-on-denim look but I totally love how you put together the outfit and how simple the pictures are. Amazing.

    xx
    Niziya | www.threefourbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful outfit...I love the denim on denim look!

    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denim and brown are so beautiful together!

    xx freshfizzle

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love these tips! that vest totally breaks up the look and adds interest. I am in love with the color of and length of that vest, I need it haha!

    Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hardly ever wear jeans, but lately every time I do I reach for the same denim shirt to go with them. It just feels so cute and easy. I can't wait until it warms up a little bit - I have this idea in my head of denim on denim with a fur cape that I own and bright, floral scarf as a turban.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You definitely know what you're talking about - that outfit is stunning. Perfect way to keep it simple, subtle and modern!

    LIKE A HARTE // BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this look. You have such great style.
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice post! You look amazing in this outfit and thanks for sharing this great tips.
    http://www.shoplinkz.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good advice. I like the denim on denim with others but have been unsure how to make it work myself. I'll have to try your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The contrast of brown ajd denim <3 absolute love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is weird because I almost wore an incredibly similar look today! (I just bought new jeans and was itchin' to wear them) Unfortunately a different top won out. I really like your sleeveless jacket. It's pretty BA!

    -Hannah
    www.theoutfitrepeater.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need that long vest in my life! I can't focus on anything else, right now. Haha. I'm stunned. <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your approach, I think you have great tips, though I think same tone pieces can also have a great impact - it depends what you're trying to express... I wore both shirt+skirt for a "denim dress" effect, and shirt+wide legged trousers (you could say for a jumpsuit effect I suppose). Would be interested to hear what you think - http://inthewriterscloset.blogspot.com/2015/02/girl-next-door.html and http://inthewriterscloset.blogspot.com/2014/05/inspired.html Canadian tuxedo, eh? ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>