A Surprising Way to Transition Your Winter Wardrobe

Mar 19, 2015

how-to-style-chunky-ponchos 


how-to-style-sweaters-with-skirts


We've been having some transitional fun on the blog lately, and seeing how the temperatures have been teasing us with both hot and cold in the same given hour, we're no closer to stopping. It's parkas one day, sandals the next. Wool pants on a Tuesday, and pleated skirts with ice cream cones in hand on Wednesday. Today's outfit literally clashes the two seasons into one look, and the result is surprisingly wonderful. Who knew some forceful combining could turn out so well?


how-to-style-floral-skirtshow-to-style-sweaters-for-spring

What I did here was take a chunky, knit sweater and pair it with a midi that embodies everything right with spring: the pastels, the florals, the pleats. It makes my heart want to do a somersault in my chest just thinking about it. And while pairing two such opposing pieces might sound like a mess on paper, it works for two main reasons: 

  1. Both are in light, soft colors
  2. Both have similar proportions
The sweater comes in a light oatmeal color, which blends easily against the soft green and pinks of the midi skirt. Also, the knit is rather baggy and loose, which fits well with the boxier, longer midi proportions of the skirt. While some might worry that they'll drown in the heavy layers, I remedied that by tucking the sweater in partially into the waistline, dragging the eye to my natural waist and anchoring it there. 

The end result was an effortless look that was both every inch ans cozy as our winter outfits, and just as sweet and flirty as our spring looks. Best of both worlds!


tips-on-styling-midi-skirts

Let's discuss: What are some winter items that you've been combining with your spring looks? Which has been your favorite?


PS: Want some more a winter transitioning ideas? Why don't you read:



outfit details
SWEATER: Zara
SKIRT: c/o Dressed in the Dark Vintage
SHOES: TJ Maxx

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg

21 comments :

  1. I love that skirt on you! You dress so cool!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt is utterly gorgeous. I am in love <3

    captaincharghley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfit is perfection! Such a well-timed post for me as the weather has been pretty schizophrenic here in London and I am in dire need of these tips! <3

    Andini xx | Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knits and florals, one of my favourite combinations! Looking lovely, as always, lady :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. super:) xx
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  6. that skirt is so springy! I love the mix of the chunky sweater and your skirt!

    Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning! You look amazing! I want to wear this exact outfit! You're a styling genius! xx

    www.foxandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way the sweater is a light color to match the skirt makes so much sense! I'm dreaming of sweaters withs shorts, but we are just not there yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO CUTE.
    I'm really digging this outfit - it has me dreaming of flowy floral skirts, and you pull it off so well!

    I'm so excited for some consistency in the weather. Yesterday was leggings + a long shirt + a sweater on top, and no need for a jacket during the day, but then at night I needed my parka again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the skirt is so pretty and I love how you paired it with the oversized knit. It is a brilliant pairing!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES, this is such a stunning pairing. Both work together beautifully and I'm always a sucker for a slouchy knit. Plus yes, us too, caught between ice-cream weather and parkas. Haha!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, that skirt is such a pretty spring piece! It works perfectly with the light, knit sweater too. Another winning combination from you :)
    I'd have to say my winter piece has been my plaid button down - I wear it nonstop and will probably wear it well into spring and summer as well...

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is an amazing Outfit!

    Beccs
    www.ruhrstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love both of these pieces on their own, and they look so great together as well! it's actually been so warm over here that i've only worn thicker jumpers at home and would get too hot in them while walking to uni or at uni (all the buildings at my uni are so hot, haha). but maybe i'll try and lose my coats and go out in just nice knits if the weather stays like this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beau-ti-ful! I love the outfit, especially the little twist with the tucked in jumper! You always have the best styling ideas! You are definitely the queen of transition outfits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is truly wonderful, Marlen - one of your most inspiring! Love how you described the process too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do you do it? This outfit is amazing!!! I love that maxi skirt and it seriously looks super cool with that sweater. Gah!!! I love it!
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look of this sweater and the way you styled it. So chic and also comfortable. I love it when those combinations come together!

    www.stylewaxpoetic.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I love this. I would have never thought to tuck in a sweater like that! It's so effortless but perfect.

    Alysia Ave

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>