Easy Tips on How to Wear Dresses During Winter

Feb 10, 2015

new-old-fashion-vintage-lace-dress
how-to-style-crochet-dress-during-winterNew-old-fashion-vintage-maxi-dress

I get that if your breath comes out in white puffs once you close the front door behind you, you might not be up to the task of putting too much effort into your morning's look. Couple that with a car that has a windshield frozen over and a wind that's trying to get under your coat, and we've all thrown up our hands and tapped out.

It's much harder to show your playful style during the frostbitten months, I know. Layers can be intimidating, and getting creative with what you have can be exhausting. But what if we broke the formula down a bit and, instead of thinking of complex turtleneck and sweater combinations, we just focused on a few key pieces to turn an outfit around. What if it was just as easy as throwing three things together and looking just as on-point as your summer counterpart? Read on and I'll prove it to ya sister friend.

New-old-fashion-vintage-dress

I'm a bit of a pants-hater, which means I have to go through the winter months either A) being okay with a three month bout of pneumonia as I flounce around in skirts, or B) I need to find ways to cozy up my dresses.

I usually strive to do B), and I've found that to achieve that it doesn't have to be a complicated dance of sweaters and patterns. Just focus on a few well-tailored focal points and call it a day. For example, let's take a vintage maxi dress and see how we can change it completely in three quick steps. This New Old Fashion Vintage crochet dress has summer written all over it: it’s white, it’s lacy, and it just about begs to be worn while walking barefoot through grass. So how do I make it look like it belongs with duster jackets and pompom beanies instead? Simple.

new-old-fashion-vintage-crochet-dress

I broke out on of my many scarves. The fastest way to cozy up your winter dresses is to wrap something around your neck. Be it a blanket scarf, a fur snood, or a chunky infinity knit, it’ll fix your summer-to-winter dilemma in seconds. To keep my blanket scarf looking sleek, I cinched the ends with a belt, keeping it tight against my body. This small move gave the look a bit more of a polished, put-together feel, while also offering a touch of color. Then, to round out the look, I chose well-tailored Chelsea booties and a structured bag, giving the dress just enough of a pop but without much effort.

And that’s the secret- that's it! During the colder months the look is all about the scarf, the boots, and the bag. Have a few well-made pieces, and it'll completely revamp your entire look and without much thought. Now, go on. Put on a pair of long johns and fleece lined tights and break out those dresses you've been missing!

how-to-style-vintage-dresses-during-winter


PS: Want more ideas on how to wear your dresses during winter? Try reading:



meet-new-old-fashion



29 comments :

  1. You made that beautiful crochet number SO perfect for winter, I absolutely love it. If I wasn't such a belt hater, I would totally be trying out the belt/ scarf combo (love the way they look, but hate the way they feel haha!) Hope you're staying warm :)
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous photos! I love how you've styled your dress with the blanket scarf :)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit - I would never have instinctively have thought of styling such a delicate looking dress for winter. But you absolutely nailed it with the cozy scarf and boots!
    xox,
    Cee
    www.cocoandvera.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this look! That floor-length dress is just stunning. It looks so cozy, too! Paired with that scarf = perfection :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    Circus & Bloom
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Marlen! Long time, no talk! I've been out of the blogging loop for a couple months. I'm so surprised by how much you've changed! Your hair got so long, it's unbelievable. I thought hair was supposed to grow slower in the winter, haha! Anyways, I hope your doing well (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this post speaks to my heart. Who says it's too cold to rock a dress. You totally prove them wrong! (;

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovey, you've been looking extra beautiful lately!! Love these photos of you and your outfit is absolutely delicious!! Loving this pop of plaid with your cream lace dress, and I'll def be taking your advice & trying the same!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This scarf is beautiful! I love how you've made it your statement piece :)

    www.wornandwritten.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is gorgeous and your hair looks so pretty here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that dress.. it's so gorgeous on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice look:) xx
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photos and your styling! In winter I always wear lots of dresses, but I go in the opposite direction... Comfy thick leggings, warm socks, a soft cami under a stretchy long sleeve T-shirt makes me all warm and toasty. On top of that I just throw a dress and I feel ready for anything! But hey, all ways are good, as long as we make it through winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this dress so much, it's gorgeous and suits you so well! i also like how you're wearing the scarf. i should try that. i feel like it really hasn't been that cold here this year and that i'm missing out on some layering action.. i'm already thinking about putting my winter coats away, haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving that dress and the scarf makes it even better! Is it still Winter.... ugh! Ha ha. I can't believ e how long your hair is getting. I swear, it just grew over night.
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great idea!! I have a whole box full of scarfs all waiting to be paired up with dresses and belts. Thanks for the inspo :)

    captaincharghley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. i adore this whole look! esp loving your scarf and how you belted it over your dress.

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful mix of textures and patterns with the scarf and dress. <3 Love how you wore the scarf, too!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omg you angel! I love this outfit and silhouette, creative as always!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh woooow, I love that dress so much! And it looks gorgeous with that scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look absoloutely gorgeous in this post, and I adore how you are able to mix in the vintage with the modern. Keep doing whatever you're doing, as you are doing with complete perfection
    ~Sara from myturquoisesummerdress.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for your advice :) love ur dress xx

    http://the-newone.blogspot.nl
    INSTAGRAM - hellodashi

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is the best way to wear the scarf! I like it soooo much! You're fab!

    Eea
    www.eeapetrescu.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love that dress! It looks so cozy and warm! i love how you tied your scarf, it adds texture and interest! Gorgeous as usual :)

    Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  24. I might make myself do this tomorrow when I go out! I was juust thinking earlier this week how untouched all of my dresses have been since it got cold.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this! I will definitely try to wear more dresses in winter. You make layering look so effortless too! I always feel so bulky!
    -Olivia.

    www.foxandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow, this is an amazing look Marlen!
    I'm in love with the scarf you've belted over the typically summery dress. But you've magically transformed it into the perfect wintry look!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looking amazing, as always, Marlen! That dress is so perfect for winter and the belted scarf is such a nice touch :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. oooooh my gosh obsessed with this look!!! -♥- Rachel (For the Birds)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You really are a layering wizard. I'm in love with this crochet dress you're wearing here! I think that plaid scarf is so perfect with it. Something about this feels Scottish. Like Outlander. In the best way possible. I love it.

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>