This Is How to Take Tartan to the Next Level

Feb 4, 2015

fiery-finish-vintage-tartan-skirt



fiery-finish-vintage-skirt

When you think of winter clothing, what do you think? Puffy coats, sleek riding boots that would bring a tear to Mr. Lauren's eye, and wonderfully big blanket scarves. What else? Cable-knits, turtlenecks, vintage fur stoles, and- here's the big one- tartan. I don't think there's a female out there that hasn't worn tartan-something at least once when the temperatures put ice on the sidewalks. It's impossible. Like turning up your nose at hot chocolate or a hand-knit snood. No one's that strong. No one.

Because of that, I got together with Fiery Finish Vintage to see how I would style the favorited January staple. Chrissy, the owner, is from L.A. and was curious what my take would be on the piece, seeing how I live in the tundra. Where she would opt to don it with leather jackets and band tees, I had more of a traditional, warmer look in mind. But as I was thinking of options I found myself running into a surprising issue with the classic piece. I discovered that it was super easy to fall into a rut with it. Is there a way to wear it that doesn't just involve a turtleneck or chambray shirt? How can you give it some more diversity?

sweater-looks-for-winter

The answer, I found, is rather than trying to find matching pieces to pair it with, instead pick a mood you'd like to style it around, and then do just that. For example in this particular look I was feeling in a very "I vacation at Ralph Lauren's winter home" type of mood, which translated to slightly equestrian and preppy. To show that, I chose a long knit sweater that would give the look uneven proportions, and to balance out the lower cut of the waist, I added a turtleneck underneath to help drag the eye up. Then, I chose preppy details to emphasis my intentions, choosing sleek patent leather Chelsea boots, a boxy handbag, and a pompom cap. I'd probably never have thought to bring these pieces together if I was just picking items blindly out of my closet, rather than picking them based on a particular tone.

Once you bring it all together you have a look that's a tad more inspired than just adding a sweater, but just as easy!

how-to-style-vintage-during-winter
tips-on-how-to-dress-stylish-and-warm-during-winter


PS: Want more inspiration on how to style your tartan or plaid pieces? Try reading:



meet-fiery-finish-vintage

30 comments :

  1. Ohh, I love the idea of styling an outfit around an idea! Love your style, by the way. And also really digging that bag.

    Circus & Bloom
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this look you look great. skirt is fab!
    www.itsallaboutsonia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really into tartans lately so this just came at totally the right time for me. Now I need some thick and chunky sweaters to layer over top of things!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love every bit of this look. that hat seals the deal for me and i love how you styled your sweater with a skirt. you look classic and retro at the same time and i love it! I did a similar pairing on my blog today and i'm not sure why it took me so long to try this.

    Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you!! Adorable. I just love this out but I am a little bit obsessed with tartan at the moment. I so wish I could pull off a hat but alas they are just not for me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. super look:) xx
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! It looks cozy and warm too, which is always a plus! So much snow this week!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I vacation at Ralph Lauren's winter home" really shows through this outfit! I love the idea of styling for a mood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love a bit of a preppy look! You styled this so well and have made me want a tartan skirt! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How is it possible that I don't own any tartan yet? That needs to change! You look fabulous!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this long jumper + midi skirt combo, it's so refreshing! And your accessories are just perfect. I feel I own way too many tartan pieces now but I just can't let go of them haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this look, very envious of your bag!
    <a href="http://style-salt.blogspot.com/2015/02/cape-camel-and-burgundy.html>Style Salt</a>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sophisticated look.
    Love the preppy details and especially that tartan skirt, a classic :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. See, this is why you win at creativity. I'd totally go the band tee/leather jacket route, and that wouldn't be as interesting. Nice spin on tartan Marlen! You definitely took it to the next level :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks is perfect, everything works so well together. I completely admire your creativity and eye for style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, if this is what "I vacation at RL's winter home" looks like, I want it. I love this take on a preppy yet modern outfit :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so peculiar reading what you guys up North think in terms of clothing appropriate for winter. Over here a scarf and coat are basically it, oh and boots. More for a comfort thing than necessity like it is for you I imagine. I like tartan though I am also pretty particular to certain patterns and colours because there are a slight few that remind me of my high school uniform days hahaha!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really cute outfit and I love where you choose to take these pictures as well!

    Rae | love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
  19. The red plaid and dark green look so great together! :)

    Stray Birds and Lavender

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you styled this look! Tartan is soo good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect! I love the mood- and how you get the ideas. Inspires me to put more thought into my wardrobe!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's amazing how well that hat works with that skirt - I am so loving this look on you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I need to up my winter look game! I don't own a single piece of tartan! No excuses, your look has me on the hunt for my own.

    Alysia Ave

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish I was wearing this today. It's freaking cold here! I am slowly learning how to look fashionable while being warm... I think part of it is in my head, because just seeing winter prints like tartan makes me feel cozy. Whatever, I'll take what I can get!

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Plaid + knits- always a combo I love! Looking great, Marlen :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Girl, you are on FIRE with your style lately. I love this (perhaps because I secretly wished I vacationed with Ralph Lauren). The preppy look was cool and your explanations are always so interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. very pretty outfit ! love when you smile :)
    xx
    Lorna
    http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's so fun to style based around a mood, very cool! The only tartan I own is a scarf my friend in Scotland sent me for Christmas! It's fun to style with sleek sweaters, as well as warm sweaters, and its just good good.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>