Solved: How to Style Ponchos This Winter

Dec 10, 2014

how-to-wear-sweater-ponchos-this-winter


how-to-wear-sweater-ponchos-this-winter
how-to-wear-sweater-ponchos-this-winter

Ah, the poncho. The classic winter piece that either evokes images of perfect bedhead waves, chelsea boots, and wide brimmed hats covering down-turned eyes. Or...of gunslingers with sweaty bandannas tied around their necks and a crushed pack of cigarettes in their back pockets. 

I get it, not everyone thinks they can pull off the cape. Or want to pull the look off. But I'm here to let the shy know that you can make this piece work in your wardrobe if you style it a certain way. And that way is minimal and urban. Clean and simple. 

how-to-wear-sweater-ponchos-this-winterhow-to-wear-sweater-ponchos-this-winter

I've actually had this number hanging in my closet for two years before I figured out just what to do with it. Sometimes it's a process of walking around your house (resisting the urge to whip the corners across your face a la Zorro) and figuring out if you're comfortable wearing the outfit in that way. After much trial and error, I discovered that the look felt the most natural after I styled it around an easy, minimal outfit. I'm talking about high waist black pants, collared white blouse, a wide brimmed hat, and nothing else. I let the cape be the eye catcher, and nothing else. Then, I looped a belt around my waist (where only the front was belted, and not the back. The belt went around my pants in the back, and not the cape) and called it a day. 

And what did I end up with? A sleek but cozy winter look. 

how-to-wear-sweater-ponchos-this-winterhow-to-wear-sweater-ponchos-this-winter

PS: For more poncho posts like this, check out: Tip on How to Style Blanket Scarves: There's More Than One Way! and How to Wear Ponchos on a Casual Day Off


OUTFIT-DETAILS
TOP: American Apparel
PONCHO: Forever 21 (store similar: here | vintage similar: here, herehere)
PANTS: H&M- only $17!
BELT: Thrifted
BOOTIES: TJ Maxx (store similar: here | vintage similar: here)
HAT: Urban Outfitters (store similar: here)
NECKLACE: Urban Outfitters and Cocorrina

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg

29 comments :

  1. Love this, I've always wanted to try out the cape trend but wasn't sure of it's versatility and how to incorporate it into my wardrobe. I love that this one is from Forever21 and the way you've styled it is fab!

    Andini xx
    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  2. yessssss i love ponchos & capes, you seriously style everything so wonderfully, i love it. i want to raid your closet so badly!
    xo
    kerry
    www.kerryjune.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will also need to steal this from your closet next time I come home! I want to live in this poncho forever and ever… or at least until all the snow melts!
    : signe : the daily savant :
    Rodan + Fields Facial Giveaway
    $30 Love & Pieces Shop Credit (I got a bracelet from this shop that was recently featured on Pretty Little Liars!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next you need to show us how to go full Zorro. Hey, some people are into that! :P Love this look, I feel like a sleek belt and chelsea boots can make just about any outfit look polished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing style, following you ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poncho looks great on you! I love how you belted it and styled it with that adorable hat. Beautiful look, Marlen!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great outfit - you look fantastic! I literally love everything you are wearing! xx

    www.lulabelloves.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love this look! That poncho is great, love the color! :)

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty look! I especially love the way you've layered those necklaces - they work so well together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look out you! Your so dashing! Every time I read your blog, I want us to be friends and play dress up with you. You could have me stylin in no time I'm confident!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That poncho is so dreamy! I love how stylish the belt makes it all. Great look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wearing nothing but ponchos lately.
    Love how you styled it with the belt! I could totally see myself wearing this outfit :)
    www.voguevillain.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That poncho is from Forever 21?!?!?! I freakin' love it so much and you styled it perfectly!

    Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I really like this look! Your Poncho is soo cool!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your poncho and these styling tips are great! Though I have to say, I'm always a fan of acting like Zorro when I'm wearing a poncho or blanket scarf. Sometimes you just have to embrace it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep. Perfect statement piece and I"m totally with you... With such a statement piece you want to down dress it with a simple core. Lovely friend. as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you made the poncho a bit more shapely with the belt. Such a beautiful look! (:

    www.accordingtokiki123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the layering! You look so chic!
    x ClassToCloset

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah...there it is again: the absolutely fantastic way of wearing a blanket scarf, or in this case a poncho. I'm still waiting for a chance, i.e. the right blanket scarf, to recreate the look, but I literally can't get enough of it on you!

    Jasmin xx

    http://www.whatdefinesus.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, belted poncho- looks amazingly cool! You never cease to impress me with your styling creations :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This poncho is definitely a statement piece, and I'm glad that you finally found a way to wear it after two years of having it in your closet. It's a piece that, like you said, definitely looks best with a minimal outfit, because it allows you to truly appreciate how beautiful the pattern is.

    -Helen

    Sweet Helen Grace

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do really like this look- very... modern, or rather classic. Like you are an extra in Annie Hall of something. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember learning the hard way not to belt a cape all the around your middle. I kept getting frustrated that my arms were stuck and then I changed the position of the belt and it was like night and day. Then I ran around feeling like a superhero. haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely adorable!! :)
    www.belladorebeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm in love with ponchos. Lovely post.

    Eea P
    www.eeapetrescu.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>