Weekends are meant for playing and exploring, and when one does that she needs to dress the part. You can't just wear any old dress to that new underground speakeasy bar. And will pants or a jumpsuit work better to that one book reading you heard about last week? In the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to try out this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them.
Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)
- Pair a fur collar with your blanket scarf and head to Dusek's in Pilsen to warm up from the biting cold with a Belgian-twist cocktail. Tasting faintly of raisins and caramel, it'll get you right into the cozy mood and make living in the mean Midwest a fraction better.
- Match a thick knit cardigan with a summer jumpsuit and treat yourself to a gingerbread donut at Bottlefork in River North. Just say the word "donuts" and I'm there, but for those of you that need more coaxing, this sweet treat is part of the restaurant's brunch menu, which is chock-full of fun options like Bourbon jam and coffee cocktails. I...I think I found my new hangout.
- Pair a casual cardigan wit a full evening skirt and attend Culinary Fight Club at Hub Studio Loft on December 29th. An amateur cooking showdown, attendees get to join in taste bud challenges as the chefs battle it out to claim the top prize. And bonus points: it's to raise money for Fight2Feed, a charity that feeds hungry Chicago residents :)
- Layer lacy summer tops underneath a cable-knit sweater and take your white skates onto the new Ice Ribbon skating rink at Maggie Dlaey Park in downtown. A quarter mile of winding icy paths, it's definitely a lot more fun than going round and round the usual circles. And at the end of the road? A hot chocolate cafe to warm up that cold nose of yours.
- Layer a turtleneck underneath a summer dress and finally learn all those different cocktails the sophisticated seem to know about by joining in the Classic Cocktail Class at Henry's Swing Club in River North. Are you like me and just discovered what a Manhattan was about a week ago? It's shameful, I know. I'll save you a seat and we'll not only learn the names, but how to make 'em! After that, we'll be fit to rejoin society again. Yay for being adults!
- Pair a denim pinafore over a peter pan collar dress and go to Lincoln Park Zoo to enjoy the animals and the decked out trees at night. Wander and moon over the holiday displays with spiced wine or hot chocolate in hand, and afterwards go take a spin at the ice skating rink to show off your killer parka-padded moves.