6 Outfits to Try This Weekend

Dec 19, 2014

Weekends are meant for playing and exploring, and when one does that she needs to dress the part. You can't just wear any old dress to that new underground speakeasy bar. And will pants or a jumpsuit work better to that one book reading you heard about last week? In the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to try out this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them. 

Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)

Six-Outfits-to-Try-This-Weekend


  1. Pair a fur collar with your blanket scarf and head to Dusek's in Pilsen to warm up from the biting cold with a Belgian-twist cocktail. Tasting faintly of raisins and caramel, it'll get you right into the cozy mood and make living in the mean Midwest a fraction better. 
  2. Match a thick knit cardigan with a summer jumpsuit and treat yourself to a gingerbread donut at Bottlefork in River North. Just say the word "donuts" and I'm there, but for those of you that need more coaxing, this sweet treat is part of the restaurant's brunch menu, which is chock-full of fun options like Bourbon jam and coffee cocktails. I...I think I found my new hangout. 
  3. Pair a casual cardigan wit a full evening skirt and attend Culinary Fight Club at Hub Studio Loft on December 29th. An amateur cooking showdown, attendees get to join in taste bud challenges as the chefs battle it out to claim the top prize. And bonus points: it's to raise money for Fight2Feed, a charity that feeds hungry Chicago residents :)
  4. Layer lacy summer tops underneath a cable-knit sweater and take your white skates onto the new Ice Ribbon skating rink at Maggie Dlaey Park in downtown. A quarter mile of winding icy paths, it's definitely a lot more fun than going round and round the usual circles. And at the end of the road? A hot chocolate cafe to warm up that cold nose of yours. 
  5. Layer a turtleneck underneath a summer dress and finally learn all those different cocktails the sophisticated seem to know about by joining in the Classic Cocktail Class at Henry's Swing Club in River North.  Are you like me and just discovered what a Manhattan was about a week ago? It's shameful, I know. I'll save you a seat and we'll not only learn the names, but how to make 'em! After that, we'll be fit to rejoin society again. Yay for being adults!
  6. Pair a denim pinafore over a peter pan collar dress and go to Lincoln Park Zoo to enjoy the animals and the decked out trees at night. Wander and moon over the holiday displays with spiced wine or hot chocolate in hand, and afterwards go take a spin at the ice skating rink to show off your killer parka-padded moves. 

45 comments :

  1. I wish there was someone like you living in MY area to find me cool places to go and tell me what to wear for them. Sigh. But you always look amazing in everything. I love this series! If I ever come to your town, I'll know where to go and what to do!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the turtle neck mixed with the dress! Too cute!
    xo ClassToCloset

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love that turtleneck and summer dress outfit!!! The belted long sweater is perfect :) Have a great weekend, friend! :)

    <3 Daisy
    Simplicity Relished

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely and unconventional looks, all of which look fantastic on you! The emerald green skirt is an exceptionally striking piece that would complement any wardrobe :)

    aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all these outfits! I actually bought a blanket scarf a few weeks ago and I have zero idea how to wear it. Everything I try never looks as cool as what other bloggers do with them! :sigh:

    xo
    Kara
    www.thebostonista.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds so fun- must be quite dreamy to live in a place where there are things to do. Sometimes living in the middle of nowhere kinda stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great 6 outfits and inspirations c; xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute!!
    Hope
    www.hhdesignsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, beautiful outfits!! That green evening skirt is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great outfits!! That green skirt is just freaking fantastic!! :D

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your style is so classic and unique, I adore it! Totally keeping this in mind and trying some of these. Thanks for sharing, it's a great post!

    <3 http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that plaid coat, Have a great weekend
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these looks! That evening skirt and cardigan combo is adorable! I think I may have to try that for Christmas dinner this year!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is St.Vincent in my schedule for today, it s only a cinema, but still why not try to experiment a bit. Even honestly I constantly have to be pushed in that direction (-: Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! We are visiting my sister in a big city and looking at their zoo lights! So fun to finally be able to do one of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always such great inspiration, Marlen! I'd take any of these, but loving the idea of a belted cardigan over a printed summer dress. Super cool :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm loving blanket scarves right now! Cute post
    Fae xo | www.sodaberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your outfits are so cute, as always!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That green midi skirt in look #3 is a dream! Have a great Sunday :)

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all the cardigans! I definitely more bulky cardigans in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love how you style outfits for events! Looking so lovely in all of these. It's amazing how you share events and outfits. I love the turtleneck under the dress and I love the faux fur with the blanket scarf. These are all such lovely options!

    Denise
    www.fashionloveletters.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the blanket scarves!! and that green midi skirt is gorgeous!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eeeee, so many cute outfits!
    Loving the pinafore :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, look how beautiful you look in all those looks! It's so pretty and once again, I like the way you styled them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aaw how I love your style, these outfits are all so pretty! My favourites have to be the no. 3 and 5 though! Gingerbread donuts sound pretty amazing to me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Blanket scarves! That looks so cozy and chic! I will have to try that when it's actually cold over here :)

    be the plebeian

    ReplyDelete
  27. That green skirt is wonderful!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just love this series you have! Now that I know what to wear I just have to be social and find something to do in my small town ha. But seriously, I probably wouldn't have even thought of pairing a turtleneck with my summer dresses but it looks so good in your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fun series! I love all of these outfits. I LOVE the knits and lace outfit :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the idea of doing a post which pairs outfits with events. This is such a good idea. I have a friend who is home in Chicago for the holidays, and she was saying that she didn't know of much to do. I have to refer her to this post to give her some ideas. The culinary fight club sounds like such a fun event.

    -Helen

    Sweet Helen Grace

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your idea to match outfits with the possible events! Also jumpsuit + long knits is a nice combo. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i adore them all!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. The first one with the tartan scarf is my favourite by far!
    Merry Christmas sweetheart <3
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those outfits are perfect! I always love what you pull together!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. You look so cute !

    :D

    http://putrivalentinalim.blogspot.com/2014/12/christmas-is-doing-little-something.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. The fur collar and blanket coat look is my fav! Very festive and cosy looking :) xx

    xbeccabe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this post! I wish I lived closer to Chicago, these all sound like fabulous events. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are brilliant at layering! Your outfits look so well put together, yet cosy enough to keep you warm in the cold weather. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such a nice idea for a post! I like the lace layers!
    Hope you had nice time visiting the events!
    Happy Holidays!

    X, Marky
    www.mypinkboudoir.eu

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for sharing this post dear! I love the look with the green skirt and the look with the blue dress!
    Kisses Emina

    www.fashionbyemina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. My fav is the fur/blanket scarf. What a look!! Hope you had a wonderful holiday and a happy new year! -xx

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  42. Teehee. I love your round ups, and I love how you incorporate actual events and places around Chicago! That's so amazing, like my own personal tour guide to Chicago, minus the manfriend who went to UI loll

    Btw, LOVE the fur, blanket scarf, and beret combo! I just love the feel of the whole outfit :)

    Yvonne
    Dear Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  43. i love when you post about all these neat thing to do in chicago - always looking!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very cool! Reminds me of Parisian winter-chic...Could totally see myself rocking the first two on the right, however, you rock all of the above with effortless charm. Absolutely adore!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>