Weekends are meant for playing and exploring, and when one does that she needs to dress the part. You can't just wear any old dress to that new underground speakeasy bar. And will pants or a jumpsuit work better to that one book reading you heard about last week? In the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to try out this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them.
Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)
- Pair a summer dress with a turtleneck and cargo jacket and head to Columbia College on Saturday, December 6th for a Pop Up Book Expo. Discover new books and finally get those that you've been meaning to read, listen in on interesting panels, and meet and talk with bonafide authors. Also, according to Chicago Mag: "Don’t miss the hilarious memoirist Rachel DeWoskin, who is giving a talk about her book Foreign Babes in Beijing, currently being adapted for HBO." Sounds like fun times!
- Match velvet with denim for a classic dark-bohemian look and support local businesses by going to Bridgeport's Renegade Craft Fair, which starts this Saturday, December 6th. Forget malls and instead mingle with the shop owners themselves, picking out quirky, from-the-heart Christmas gifts for your people.
- Combine a sheer dress with some fall staples like plaid and knits and go to a waffles and rap concert at the Empty Bottle on Saturday, December 6th. Just like it sounds, you get to listen to local talent while munching on waffles and fried chicken into the early morning. Every concert needs to be like this.
- Play with deep jewel tones and head to Lakeview to participate in Dinner with a Side of Murder this Saturday, December 6th. One minute you're eating tasty lamb chops and the next- boom- you're being interviewed by detectives because of the murder that happened right under your nose. Spend the night requesting seconds for deserts and piecing together evidence, trying to find the culprit before the check comes to the table.
- Mix prints by pairing a striped cardi with a floral midi and head to the Wicker Park bar Barley & Brass, a bar full of cozy leather seats and drinks with names like "Not a Basic Bitch", "Bitter Blonde", and "Basil Jalapeno Cobbler"...I'm especially curious to see how that last one will taste.
- Style a denim jacket with a ribboned bow around the collar and head to the Hideout this Saturday, December 6th for an afternoon of free pancakes, not-free Bloody Marys and comics practicing their sets. But it's not just maple syrup and jokes at the bar- no, that'd be too easy. In between sets there are game show type of questions, the occasional puppet show, and a pie fight or two. Just what you'd expect from a bar that's open at 3 PM.