6 OUTFITS TO TRY THIS WEEKEND

Nov 13, 2014

Weekends are meant for playing and exploring, and when one does that she needs to dress the part. You can't just wear any old dress to that new underground speakeasy bar. And will pants or a jumpsuit work better to that one book reading you heard about last week? In the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to try out this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them. 

Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)

Six Outfits to Try This Weekend


  1. Pair your polka dot skirt with a classic white blouse and satchel and on November 16th head to The Publican for a four-course family-style dinner in celebration of Chef Garbielle Hamilton's new cookbook, Prune. Featuring recipes from the book, expect an evening filled with interesting dishes like clams with hominy and smoked paprika butter, roasted pig with pickled tomatoes, and a heck of a lot of Bloody Mary's. 
  2. Layer a sleeveless summer dress over a sheer long sleeved blouse and round up a group of friends and go to The Field Museum on November 19th for a two hour whiskey class.  If you're a long-time lover or just curious to learn more, it'll be an eventful afternoon sipping on whiskey samples and staring up at the dinosaurs that live in the museum.  
  3. Belt your peacoat at the waist, working it more as a top layer than a piece of outerwear, and go to Bottlefork to try their Brandy & Cigars cocktail. Posted under the "Gentlemen's Cut" section of the menu, the brandy cocktails are infused with cigar smoke to give you a smokey, smooth aftertaste while sipping.  
  4. Layer your summer dress with a turtleneck and knit cardigan and go to the free acoustic shows that make up Chillfest on November 15th. Featuring over 100 independent musicians that will be playing homey, living room sets in over 30 storefronts around Wicker Park, there'll be something for everyone this afternoon. 
  5. Mix florals with checkers and head with a group of friends to Black Rock Pub on November 19th to hear a series of personal stories from locals around the city. This open-mic night is different from others around in the fact that they welcome everybody and anybody on stage- just as long they have a story they need to share. And bonus- they have $5 burgers and $3 microbrews! 
  6. Play with different shades of brown and visit just about the coolest festival on November 20th: The Chicago Food Film Festival.  Time Out explains it amazingly: "Have you ever sat down to watch a movie on an empty stomach and found yourself wishing you could get your hands on the grub being served onscreen? ... For hungry cinephiles, along comes the Chicago Food Film Festival, a three-day event that aims to get your taste buds in on the movie-theater experience." Save you a seat there?

32 comments :

  1. You are the queen of layering!!! so jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! I always find myself with 'nothing to wear' in the mornings and this has given me so many great ideas. And who better to take style tips from than you? <3

    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that last one! It's so cute, the layers are perfect and I love those green tights :)

    Simplicity Relished

    ReplyDelete
  4. These looks are all stunning, Marlen! The "Autumnal Colors" outfit is my favorite but I LOVE them all! xx

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of wearing summer dresses in fall and winter with cardigans and tights, it's such a cute look and a great way to stretch your wardrobe.

    prosecco in the park

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeep you are so cute. Makes me want to bundle up.
    Too bad LA is still showing no signs of snow. (Will I ever understand that it doesn't snow here?)

    xx
    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your style of layering! Such beautiful looks! Youve inspired me to get more layerable pieces!!

    xx Sera | STARDUSTBOHEMIAN.COM
    P.S GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG, CLICK HERE TO VIEW!<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such gorgeous layered outfits! My favourite is the Food Film Festival outfit - such perfect autumnal colours and what a coat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the peacoat and plaid skirt!!

    Xx,
    Jackie
    http://thejedition.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I particularly like the autumnal colors outfit, it's cute! I've been enjoying playing with tights and scarves recently. I love the look of a short skirt with layers in the autumn.

    You said in your "about me" page that you're writing a book, may I ask what it's about?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah! I have a very similar navy polka dot skirt that I still have as of yet to wear. Thank you for reminding me with that simple and impeccable style! :D Omgosh that plaid skirt is killer! Love it! <3 Beautiful colors and textures in that final photo, too. Well done!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually managed to catch one of your "things to do in Chicago this weekend" posts before the weekend is over? Win. I would love to get one of those brandy and cigar cocktails, that sounds amazing. I think I'd probably go for a similar outfit as well. I'm a huge fan of belting coats, it's such a chic look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I lived in Chicago, there's always something awesome happening over there. And I suppose there'd be stuff on where I live but it would no doubt be food related. They always are. Not that that is a bad thing, but yours sound so much better. Like the whiskey classes. I had the stuff but still, I wouldn't mind attending.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my it all sounds so fun- why oh why do I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere! Although we are hoping to head to Chicago for Christmas, I've never been and have always wanted to see it, so you will have to give some recommendations!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love that autumnal color outfit. it's so pretty and i love neutrals.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of these outfits!!! I think the top left is my favorite!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always have such unique and creative looks! I love the outfit with autumnal colors. They go so well together.

    - Deniz
    www.dressedupdeniz.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of the outfit are kicking ass, but the third from top to bottom is an absolute winner of my heart O_O
    Yeah, go Chicago inhabitants, we, the people in crappy Bulgaria, will have to settle with beer and staying home because it's raining all week! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh I'm a sucker for polka dots. All these outfit are great, I love the mix and match of patterns and colours. Great post!! :)
    ♥Natalie
    Yours Truly, NY


    ReplyDelete
  20. They're all so pretty and they look so good on you! They really give me some new inspiration which I love! ;) Plus, they look really warm to wear! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gah! I LOVE the Autumnal Colors look - it is too perfect for November!

    P.S. A girl can never have too many vampy lipsticks!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. These outfits all look incredible - so cosy and also fashionable! Wish I could go out like this but unfortunately I live right on the equator, so it's basically summer all year round. Nonetheless, if ever I find myself out of the country during winter season, this post will definitely come to mind.

    Thanks for this!! xx

    Much love,

    https://alyshamdn.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Universe, please teleport me to Chicago now! I wish I could partake in each of these awesome festivities! Also, I love your outfits. Definitely taking mental notes on your layering techniques.

    xo

    Michaela

    http://michaelajeanblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. YESSS to all of these looks, but especially the polka dots. I'm on a major polka dot kick this week!

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow these outfits are perfection and so chic this season! I love the layering of different textures and the prints are realy cute too! I really love your sense of style! :)

    New post on GIRL ABOUT TOWN BLOG
    GOOGLE + || BLOGLOVIN || FACEBOOK || INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all of these looks! I love the layers especially!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What fun looks! I love layering my summer dresses to get more wear out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just want to have your whole wardrobe. Everything is so perfect! I really love your neutral color looks.. the peacoats and plaid skirt yes yes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I think the floral and checkers is my favorite - though it's so hard to pick. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I'd try all of these, but especially the third and fourth ones!

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  31. The polka-dotted skirt! Ah love love love, so cute. That polka dot dress too!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>