6 OUTFITS TO TRY THIS WEEKEND

Nov 7, 2014

Weekends are meant for playing and exploring, and when one does that she needs to dress the part. You can't just wear any old dress to that new underground speakeasy bar. And will pants or a jumpsuit work better to that one book reading you heard about last week? In the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to try out this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them. 

Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)

Six Outfits to Try This Weekend



  1. Tuck in your buttoned up vest into your skirt and head to The Kitchen in River North, a restaurant that's out to create a community through food. Named The Kitchen because they want their space to act much like a kitchen in your own home- a center of conversation and connection- they only source local farmers and vendors for ingredients to whip up their delicious menu. They're all about local, local, local.
  2. Add suspenders to your high waist pants and on November 10th head to the Moth Story Slam, a usually sold-out show that's been running for 15 years now. No scripts, the event is all about from-the-heart storytelling around a certain theme, with people coming on stage to tell their story from memory, as if you were having a chat in a friend's living room. The results are usually hilarious, gripping, and heart warming, all at the same time. 
  3. On Sunday Give your plaid shirt a feminine touch by pairing it with a full, A-line skirt and head to the Empty Bottle for a pop-up book fair. For five hours the bar will turn into a bookstore, and over 30 vendors will be there to buy drinks with you and tempt you with words. Buy an old favorite and find yourself a dim corner booth, where you can sip on craft beers and flip pages for a couple quiet hours.
  4. Layer a short floral dress over a longer denim pinafore and head to the 100-year old Movie Box Theater for a midnight viewing of Dumb & Dumber for its 20th anniversary. Mix some Milk Duds with your popcorn and get ready to shout the lines with Mr. Carey and the audience. 
  5. Layer a sleeveless dress like a vest and head to Drumbar to taste their new menu of deliciously paired shots. Tired of people only ordering bombs, the good people of Drumbar took it upon themselves to teach the public of finer things in life- of spirits that are meant to be savored and not just swung back. They have my attention with shot options like mulled apple cider and clarified milk punch- interesting!
  6. Layer a polka dot blouse underneath a dress with cap sleeves and go to Twisted Spoke to sample their spiked hot chocolate. Now that it's cold outside, satisfy your sweet tooth and your drinking mood by sipping their mug of hot chocolate that's topped with marshmallows, chocolate bits, and peppermint bark.

32 comments :

  1. Love that very last look on the right best. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfits are always so adorable :)

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all fun and amazing looks, Marlen! And the events sounds like fun. I look the plaid shirt look and "booze and books" would be right up my alley if I lived in Chicago!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO creative. Love that you always give me new outfit ideas to try :) And you make suspenders look amazing...

    Simplicity Relished

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like all of the looks! The floral one is my favorite :) Great tips!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these outfits are super cute! I especially love the third one, how perfect. Have a great weekend.

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The floral/denim dress combo is one of the best two-dress looks I've seen in awhile. I love all of these, but that one really stands out. Quite clever!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me want to move to Chicago!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can tell I will spend hours scrolling through your archives Marlen :) love these outfits, especially the red polkadot and dungaree one! you pull it off so well x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of these looks. You are so creative with all your outfits and I admire how you can mix and match different things so darn well! I especially love the suspenders and high waist pants. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first look is totally adorable! And I also really like the third one, I have been searching for a skirt just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That polka dot sweater is awesome!!
    Hope
    www.hhdesignsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The second and third ones. YES. I want them, head to toe!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fun blog post! I love playing with fashion and choosing outfits for different ocassions :) Great ideas. You have an amazing personal style and reading your blog is a pleasure.
    Love Life Every Day
    everydaybeauty instagram

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are ALL such fun ideas, I love your quirky sense of style. I remember when I was a goth and use to go out a lot how I so looked forward to the weekends because it meant I could get dressed up in flowing garments and extreme makeup...it really was a lot of fun.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not everyone can pull off a suspenders, but you rock this one just great!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the second and third one, soo pretty!

    Love, Karina
    TheLovelyLook

    ReplyDelete
  18. The second look with the suspenders is so awesome, I'd wear it for a Sunday lunch :)

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  19. we love the floral button up shirt!

    http://mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! Love the second look, in suspenders. I love them.

    Jasmine x
    For a Real Woman - Instagram - Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a cool idea, I really love the concept of this post with the real events and coordinated outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a fun idea for a post! Love all the looks and the events sound so much fun! I'll have to do some fun weekend planning in my own city :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are all so cute
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. You wear the quirkiest outfits!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love all of your outfits! Especially the one with polkadot T-shirt. Thanks for the idea.

    xx
    http://felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE look # 2 - you're making me covet suspenders!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, I don't even know where to begin... these are lovely outfits! I love the polka dot sweater too!

    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love all these outfits!! So creative :D You look adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your looks are always the cutest. You are so creative!

    - Deniz
    www.dressedupdeniz.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. great post! love these awesome looks! love how your style is so versatile but all screams you! love it!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. clever and pretty.. you're just the full package aren't you Marlen;) I think my favourite is the trousers with braces, that is such a great look!!XXX

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>