FROM DAY TO NIGHT: DENIM JACKET EDITION

Oct 22, 2014

HOW-TO-STYLE-FROM-DAY-TO-NIGHT 
I like making my closet work for me by never breaking up things into specific sections- there is no "casual wear" and "evening wear"; no "day pieces" and "night pieces". I like to wear evening gowns with chunky knit sweaters during the day, and flannel shirts with sequined evening skirts during the night. The fun contrasts make for some playful, inventive outfits, and it really makes the wardrobe you took the time to curate work for you. So in the spirit of that, I'm starting off a new series called "From Day to Night", where I take a piece of clothing and style it for dramatically different events- like grabbing coffee with a friend at 2 o'clock, and then going to get drinks at the swanky new bar at midnight. 

And today's piece? This New Old Fashion Vintage denim jacket (which I have also styled here). Let's see how versatile it really is!

how-to-style-denim-jacket-for-day
how-to-tyle-denim-jacket-for-day

FROM DAY: Bundle into a fisherman sweater and tassel scarf and pair the look with high waist shorts to juxtapose the chunkier top half. Pair it with some heeled booties to keep the fall vibe going, and add a camel colored hat for some interest and a gold clutch to add a touch of fancy. Then top off the whole look with your denim jacket for a touch of color and an extra layer for both warmth and interest. Now go get that coffee- your friend is waiting!

how-to-style-denim-jacket-for-nightHOW-TO-STYLE-DENIM-JACKET-FOR-EVENING

FROM NIGHT: When mixing fancy with casual it's all about balancing the two different vibes. For example, if you have an elegant full skirt, tone it down with a relaxed denim jacket. To make sure that the denim doesn't take over the look, pair it with a swanky accessory like a gold bauble necklace or a pair of chandelier earrings. Then to balance the extravagant top-half, choose shoes that are more casual like suede booties or a pair of Chelsea boots. That way you have two different forces in your look but an even amount of each. Now that you're all dolled up and ready to go, hail your cab and get ready to sip on pretty pink cocktails under those dim and dreamy lights!

Outfit One:

JACKET: New Old Fashion Vintage
SWEATER: Thrifted
SHORTS: American Apparel
SCARF: French Connection
CLUTCH: Mango
SHOES: Macys

Outfit Two:

JACKET: New Old Fashion Vintage
TURTLENECK: Thrifted
SKIRT: Choies (only $25!)
SHOES: Macys
NECKLACE: J Crew




34 comments :

  1. love both of these outfits, especially that night outfit. the emerald skirt is stunning!

    i think that's so smart that you don't break out your closet like others might, i totally agree that sometimes the most inventive and unexpected combos are the best!

    xo mk
    gold-hatted lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mixing casual with formal too! Beautifully styled sets!

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't ankle boots the perfect finale for a perfect outfit? They go with anything! I also love looove that scarf of yours. It's beautiful.
    xo,
    littleladychangblog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to add a denim jacket to my wardrobe. Love both these looks!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving that black embellished top from JCrew-- you have such good style, girl! Your thoughts on balancing more casual with more elegant pieces are right on :)

    <3 Daisy
    Simplicity Relished

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog! I just followed you on Bloglovin and Twitter, would you please follow me back? :)

    Michaella from http://quitealooker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how a denim jacket can be so versatile. The emerald green skirt is stunning!

    Jessica xo
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty post!

    You have a new follower! Adore your style! xx


    CLAIRELOUISE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these looks are so amazing!! In love with that green skirt!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. combinations looks really nice !

    www.madamedaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denim jackets are the ultimate staple piece. They go with everything! And they are suitable for most occasions. I love how you styled yours here. That fist outfit looks so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Stumbled on your blog from the Midwest Blogger Love Pinterest board. Loving your style and looking forward to coming back and reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your collages are awesome! and they are filled with such great picks :) love those booties!

    xo, carli
    www.puppiesandpolkadots.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE THE TRANSITIONING OF THIS LOOK THAT EMERALD SKIRT IS LOVELY !
    M♥
    Simply Sutter

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would wear the evening look in a heartbeat. During the day. For no special event. Because I'm cool like that. That skirt is so amazing, and I want it so badly!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com
    Cardigan Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh I love this.. that skirt is amazing!
    Hope
    www.hhdesignsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great transition! Love that green skirt.

    Heidi D.
    www.wishesandreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The perfect transformation from day to night. I honestly think that everyone should own at least one (I encourage owning many haha) denim jacket. Just perfect!
    Xo Amanda | http://sansscrubs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The fabric of the skirt is amazing, I love it :) You have such great clothes!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great outfits! A denim jacket is so versatile.Thanks for the tips of styling from day to night, was super helpful :)
    ♥Natalie
    Yours Truly, NY


    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this idea and you have one amazing wardrobe! Also that last necklace is so rad!

    xo

    Michaela

    http://michaelajeanblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. love that night look!! the emerald green skirt is so stunning!!

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a great idea! I think this is a super smart way to wear "new" outfits with breaking the bank too much. I love how you styled the denim jacket for both day and night! By the way, LOVING those beige booties <3.

    xo, Serli
    www.lesoleilchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these photos! You did a great job with the lighting. That skirt is amazing, I want it.
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nicely done. :) That green skirt is especially lust, what a deal! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the sound of your wardrobe. I'm so awful at transitioning clothing that I have one separate closet for all my 'around-the-house'/casual wear and another for all my fancy stuff. The two are hardly mixed. I wish I had your knack for mixing things up and making them look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG that night look is so fabulous! I'm obsessed with that skirt!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love both of your looks, especially the night one! I wish I could pair a chunky knit sweater and evening gown together,but I'm pretty sure I could never pull that off :)

    Shannon
    Clothes & Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  29. Obsessed with both these looks! I really love the juxtaposition between "day" and "night" pieces, and your denim jacket works so perfectly with both. Also as a side note I always look forward to the poetry notes in my inbox, been loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've always loved your collages of outfits and now seeing it with actually things you own is even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved this post so much! Great inspiration and I love the collage look :)
    - C
    Claudine Converses

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this its just so chic. The different shapes that you use: the hard edge of denim, the body-fitting shirt and sculptural skirt really create a nice effect. I would really love to look at it on.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>