DRESSING DOWN EVENING SKIRTS FOR THE DAY

Oct 16, 2014

choies-emerald-green-skirt-4choies-emerald-green-skirt-5choies-emerald-green-skirt-1 
One of my favorite ways to style a look is to take something fancy and deconstruct it into something casual. I just really like the contrast between an evening gown and a cable-knit sweater, or a sequined skirt with a casual chambray top. It's playful and interesting all at once. Which is why my eyes lit up when I saw this full satin midi skirt from Choies. Holy hell did my heart race- there was so much styling potential! Ideas of striped turtleneck crop tops, or rust colored blazers, or thick fishermen sweaters half tucked into the waist instantly came to mind. But today I decided to go with a fall staple instead: the striped cardigan. I like how the navy and mustard colors accent the dark emerald green, and how the casual sweater has a radically different vibe from the full evening skirt. They war with each other, but they work!

And if you want to try out the evening-wear-during-the-day look, be sure to read my 10 Ways to Dress Down Your Fancy Pieces post and my How to Style Formal Wear Casually post. 

choies-emerald-green-skirt-2
OUTFIT-DETAILS
SKIRT: c/o Choies
SWEATER: Urban Outfitters (vintage version: here)
SHIRT: Zara
SHOES: Urban Outfitters

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg

19 comments :

  1. I love that skirt!! I really want one of those
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt is beautiful, absolutely love the color!

    prosecco in the park

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt drives me crazy! It's oh-so-damn-cool!!!

    http://follementefashion.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice:))
    AND Giveaway on my blog-> http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/2014/10/giveaway-echo-paul.html
    xx
    Bianka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this looks! Dressing down fancy skirts is definitely one of my faves too!
    Xx from the Girl in the Houndstooth Coat

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I have seen this skirt on a few people and am always so amazed how a) adorable it looks and b) how different it looks- it can be styled so differently. I think this is my very favorite styling and makes me want the skirt so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that skirt is AMAZING. And I need fancier pieces I can dress down, because I always love the way you do it!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving your long skirts as of late. Your current post with the long skirt/crop combo.. solid gold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHH I have that exact skirt and I LOVE IT TO PIECES!! I can't wait to see all the ways you style it! Isn't it beautiful! I wore it to death during the holidays last year. This looks absolutely fabulous on you and I really like that you dressed it down!! GORGEOUS!!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  10. This emerald skirt looks fantastic on you! It compliments your skin tone/hair color perfectly. And I love how you dressed it down for more of a day time look, though I think it would look fabulous dressed up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great look! The skirt looks really subtle and still sparkly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This outfit is perfffffect. You're too good Marlen! Too good! You're probably my favorite blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This outfit is so adorable! I just love that crisp white top, and then the bold printed cardigan to set it all off.. It's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEAUTIFUL! That skirt is an amazing find! I also like to take fancy things and make them more wearable for every day life.

    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually had my eye on that skirt but it looked really shiny in the pictures... there is regret! It looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look adorable! Love the full skirt the color makes me think of Spring! :) xo~ Lena
    www.felinecreatures.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>