TRANSITIONING A SUMMER WARDROBE INTO FALL

Sep 15, 2014

how-to-layer-summer-dresses
how-to-style-sheer-blousehow-to-wear-sheer-shirt

You guys, it's official. The last of the summer wind has passed by my window and left only a quick promise over its shoulder to return next year as it moved on to its next romance. It's officially fall in Chicago. Sock wearing, jacket shrugging, boot zipping fall. I am not thrilled. All those lovely flimsy dresses have to be packed away into the basement as thick sweaters and clunky shoes make their appearance. And what's worse is, I don't seem to remember how to dress for the season? Everything I'm coming up with seems so...boring and basic. It's a crisis.

So while I was in the midst of panicking in my underwear in front of my closet, I managed to at least come up with this outfit if not many others. And I have to (begrudgingly) admit, I'm kind of, if just a little, smitten with this one. If more of my fall looks end up looking like this I might warm up to the change. I really like that it's still soft and romantic and uses light colors, but still manages to look sweater-weather-y. I took one of my favorite linen summer dresses and tucked the collar on the inside (i just folded it under) so I could pair it with a sheer billowy blouse to add some sleeves to the look. Then to give it a more autumnal feel, I paired it with suede booties and a brown belt to keep the color scheme taupe. What do you think? Would you wear something like this?

 how-to-transition-summer-dresses-to-fall
american-apparel-sheer-blousehow-to-style-sheer-pieces

Tweet this! Part of the minority that's not thrilled about fall? Here's an idea on how to wear summer dresses longer! #SangriaOverPSL 

OUTFIT-DETAILS
DRESS: thrifted (vintage option: here, here)
BLOUSE: American Apparel (vintage option: here)
BOOTIES: Macys (vintage options: here, here)
BELT: Calvin Klein (thrifted)

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg

25 comments :

  1. I love how you styled this outfit! Fall is just beginning here too and I am a little sad to say goodbye to my flowey summer outfits, but looking forward to coming up with some new autumn styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that dress! It's the perfect layering piece and the texture looks so soft and flowy! The color palette is perfect for fall, too--light and crisp but more muted that summer bright whites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice:) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always look flawless, this color looks great on you. I'm so happy fall has arrived.

    www.lavishingg.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the layering here! I always get a little sad when it officially is not summer anymore. But fall is cool too. But winter's gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha, panicking in front of the wardrobe in underwear is totally my morning routine :D
    I like how you transition girl, this outfit is perfect! ^^ Love the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I love this vibe dearly! you have a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress looks awesome underneath that blouse (: And I really love the belt you paired with it. You'll definitely get back into your game for dressing for cooler temps soon enough. Your outfits last year were amazing, so I definitely have faith in you! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I love autumn dressing, I've also been having those panicky I-have-nothing-to-wear mornings lately. I might be heading to your posts on layering - your tips are always so clever! And this is a gorgeous ensemble! The pairing of the light shades is so feminine and romantic, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This color washes me right out.. however I do love the monochromatic look for all seasons... remember turtle necks with blazers, boots, scarves & chambray... layer like an onion... ;)
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been without internet for so long and I am finally catching up on blog posts! I have to say, you are the layering queen. Tucking the collar inwards?! - pure genius! Though contrary to you I am super excited for winter but it's still so warm here I've had to shun my boots and jumpers to the back of the wardrobe.

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off, I absolutely love your blog design and content! Thanks for stopping by mine so I could know about you!!

    Also, I really like this look and it's totally something I'd wear out and about or just to work. Thanks for the inspiration. Much appreciated!

    -Kate
    www.brilliantlykate.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first thought is "I feel like Edna St. Vincent Millay would totally wear this." You just look very poetic, with a lovely 1920s/30s vibe!

    ~Isabella
    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  14. AAAWUUUHH YES JEDI OUTFIT no but seriously I can't unsee that ever but it's super cute and I love it. Maybe it's just the belt color against that outfit and the general robe-likeness of it, but hey, I love it. You look so good. I would totally wear this and don't think it's "boring and basic" at all; heck, I know I haven't been able to put together any decent outfits myself lately, so I feel those feels, but maybe it's just the changing of the seasons. POINT BEING: you look good girl and keep on doing your awesomeradtastic layering THANG.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Giiirl you can wear your summer dresses with layers for another month! I deem it appropriate! You're the layering queen after all. Floral dresses look great with sweaters and with long sleeved blouses layered underneath. Also I'm jealous of your fall weather. I'll be up there for a wedding in October and am looking forward to some real fall weather not the half assed "fall" we get here!

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is fabulous and I think we should swap. I'm uneasy for the summer months coming up and feeling rather uninspired myself. Winter dressing is more effortless and comfortable for me. Sigh.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, you nailed this one Marlen. Haha, and maybe it's begrudgingly to you, but I full-fledged LOVE this outfit! The soft neutrals make for a pretty palette. Can't wait to see how more of your fall looks turn out!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm actually pretty jelly. It felt like fall in Germany in August, but summer has returned! I had just about switched my wardrobe over to cold-weather gear, knitted myself some new scarves, crocheted a pair of leg warmers and now it's in the 70s on a daily basis again! I'll trade climates with ya! You can even bring this outfit! It looks sheer enough that you should be comfy in our random reprisal of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great way to continue wearing your summer dresses! You look great in this outfit! I'm not the biggest fan of fall coming around either, but once it's really there it'll be just fine, haha! Right now, I'm sticking to the idea of the 'socks in sandals' trend, so I will be able to wear my summer heels a bit longer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel this has a slight 70s/Diane Keaton vibe to it that I just love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Firstly, thank you for all your sweet words on my blog! You're seriously the biggest sweetheart - sending you a virtual hug, right now!! And agreed, this outfit is fab. Love adding booties to everything and layering with pretty blouses or simple 3/4 length sleeve tees. As for us?! It's almost starting to feel like fall here. Although, this week we are heating up! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loooooove this dress over that top! I am going to have to try this with some of my own dresses. hmmmm..... :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>