GOLDEN HOUR

Sep 24, 2014

classic-fall-outfits-street-styletrench-coat-outfits-fallclassic-outfits-street-styletrench-coat-outfits-autumn

I had a moment yesterday by the river walk. I had songs that sounded like daydreams in my ears and my hands were in my over-sized coat pockets, trying to keep warm as the brisk wind swept across the water and snapped and cracked around my head, as if it was annoyed with me and wanted me to notice. Doing my part in the spat, I turned my head and pretended not to care. It was six o'clock and the sun started to fade, its rays slowly melting like thick wax onto the sidewalk, turning everything into a wet gold. It poured into the river and drifted slowly to the bottom, its light curling like smoke under the green waves. Feeling the warmth in my hair, I tipped my face up and smiled, expecting softness. Instead the light snapped and cracked against my eyes, jut like the wind but with intention.

And for a moment, I saw the world like I was supposed to. Awash with white, full of intensity, heart full of light, hair drenched in bronze, shivering with energy, and just sinking in ignited gold. Then, like fingers brushing your cheek in goodbye, the sun skimmed the last of its rays across my face and made its exit from the sky.

And as I looked around the world again, back in it's purple and gray shadows, I saw it. That belief that, at any moment, something wonderful could happen. That, at any moment, the light will hit your eyes and let you see things as they really are. Not just how you were used to noticing them.


simple-outfits-street-stylepolka-dot-skirt-outfits

OUTFIT-DETAILS
SKIRT: bought in Thailand (vintage option: here, here, herehere)
SHIRT: Zara
TRENCH: thrifted (vintage option: here)
LOAFERS: Urban Outfitters (vintage option: here, here, here (30%off)
PURSE: thrifted (vintage option: herehere, here (only $12!), here)

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg

32 comments :

  1. Beautiful girl, clothes, and writing. Love this little passage. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the way you write. This post reminds me of how Edgar Allan Poe describes the garden in "To Helen" (Sarah Helen Whitman).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! So true about the light and seeing things as they are... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooooooooove this long jacket on you. You look like you should be strolling the streets of Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice:) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this whole outfit, you always look so put together and beautiful! xx

    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so adorable, I love how classy the trench coat and the polka dots are! And it looks great and pulled together with the button down.

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that statement you made about having belief that in any moment something wonderful can happen. I think that's a great way to look at your day. Instead of thinking about all the ruff stuff that could come up, why not think about the good stuff :)

    Thanks Marlen. Happy Wednesday to you!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love your skirt and the bag!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely on my list of favorite outfits of yours! The top and skirt are incredibly adorable, and the trench layered over it was a really nice touch! (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so lovely and chic!! I love this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the pieces of this outfit are so classic! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written! Love the outfit, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo.... I saw the first photo on this blog post and stopped reading. Not for anything bad!- but rather, the outfit was just so lovely and perfect, I knew I'd want to save your post till last out of my blogroll so that I could savory it. This outfit is just- perfect. So perfect. Classic and just the right amount of boyishness mixed with femininity. You look like a character out of a classic romcom film!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah that outfit is so simple but so amazing at the same time. Like a chic Parisian who understands all the secrets of class and beauty. Also have you gotten a book published? Cause if not you should.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do you find the best things thrifting?! That coat is seriously fabulous and I you have convinced me I need a polka dot midi!!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favourite outfits of yours, very classy. I adore the coat and polka dots are of course my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a cute outfit! I absolutely love your polka dot skirt!

    lifeisashoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved your writing, it's beautiful...
    You look gorg witht hat lipstick on, your pale skin is totally something I wish I had!!

    xMM
    THE LAME LIP

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your writing!! Great trench
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love this look! I need to get into midi skirts - I think I've always been a bit scared of them as I'm pretty short, but I think I should at least give one a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That moment is so powerful and I love the way you worded everything. That particular time of day always seems so serene - like everything is ok in the world. Also, jealous. I love trenches and I do not have one.

    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely writing as always. I hope I see the world this way again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great writing and lovely trench coat.

    xo, Jenny
    www.stuff-i-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the trench coat on you, this is a very classic look and so pretty. What a wonderful moment you described!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like a perfectly magical moment, Marlen! The trench and those polka dots- perfection as well! Have a lovely weekend :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thqt is really cool cause your title (read a bit quickly i admit) seems like golden Noir, and it reminds me James bond but also the old Hollywood dark noir films, and that is really in some kind of bond with what you are wearing today :)
    Vintage and also some strict lines with that trench coat.
    That's a good post from head to toes ;)

    xxx
    Lorna

    http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your skirt and trench. I was thinking about getting a trench coat for Europe. Still thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You truly have a special blog here. I love your words and how sweetly they hum through my brain as I read them. I also love your outfits, you have a feminine and quirky style that suits the writer and dreamer in me. I feel like I am in a fairytale!

    Well done x

    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>