ABOUT ME

Sep 4, 2014

new-old-fashion-vintage-dress
nofv2

About me:

I like the disaster of the night sky, stars spilling this way and that as if they were upturned from a glass. I like the way good madness feels. I like the way laughter always spills. That's the word for it. It never just comes, it spills. I like the word 'again'. Again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. I like the quiet sound a coffee cup makes when it's set down on a wooden table. So hushed. So inviting. Like morning light yawning through the window and stretching out onto the kitchen floor. I like the way girls' lips look like they're stained with berries. I like the way morning light breaks like a prism through the empty wine bottles on our dusty apartment floor. Glasses empty except for the midnight hour. I like the way blueberries stain my fingers during the summer. I like the way light hits your eyes and turns it into a color that doesn't exist anywhere else other than in this moment. I want it all. I want the breeze to call my name as it rushes down my street, looking for me. I want to feel grass underneath my bare feet and I want to feel the sun kiss freckles onto my cheeks. I want to hear you yell hello as you make your way towards me and not goodbye as you have to go. 

That's just a little bit about me.

test
nofv

Now a little bit about this dress and New Old Fashion Vintage:

Amelia, the owner, lives in a sunny house from the 1800's. Her dress form's name is Dolly and she bribes her sister with chicken tacos to model her pieces. She treasure hunts for a full time job. She finds dresses that were once part of someone's first date, someone's summer picnic, someone's ridiculously fun dinner party (where tinsel garlands were included. I'm assuming.) All years and years and years ago. Then she puts a stamp on them and mails it out to a new girl, where she'll shake out the dress and give it some new event to shine through. Each item holds a story and it's fun to thumb the sleeve and try to imagine what it lived through. It makes you want to put it on and experience just the same- that's the fun part of vintage. So if you're in a shopping mood, be sure to pop over to New Old Fashion Vintage here and give a big hello to Amelia!


selections


OUTFIT-DETAILS
DRESS: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage
SANDALS: Zara
PURSE: thrifted
RIBBON: craft store
SHIRT: Zara

 photo divider_zps9a1dedc9.jpg

44 comments :

  1. Minor gush about your look (I love it I love it I love it) before a MAJOR gush about your writing. You are phenomenal! Every little moment of life you described, I felt all of it. You have a way of describing the best parts of living: the little, sweet bits of life that make it so special and sweet and all things good. Do you write poetry? I think you have the voice of a poet, although as we can see here, your prose is also fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress, and sweet prose! I loved it. Your imagery is fantastic and that last line made me smile in a bittersweet way.

    sampzandsuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVING the colors. Looks like that dress was made just for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your words so much, they really take me away to another moment. I love imagining who wore vintage clothing before me, what they wore it to, what they thought about the piece, it makes getting dressed much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy shit! I love this (no surprise there though... all your outfits are great). The print on this dress is rad though. Perfect Summer to Fall transition piece. The white shirt w/ bow underneath is a great idea too. I'm definitely going to be copping this look! :)

    Mariel
    http://drippingdreamvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I looooove that dress! It's so summery and retro <3 And perfect layering once again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE this post. The writing and the dress are equally beautiful, and I thought the dress was all one piece before I read the outfit details (shoulda known better!) I love how you described the sound of a coffee cup. I just placed a giant (plastic) tub of ice coffee on a (formica) table in panera and i don't think it had quite the same effect ;)
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another thing about you--you are a very talented writer. I love this pretty little mod dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I said on Facebook, I absolutely love that dress! The print and shades are perfection. And so nice to read some tidbits about you... beautifully written :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice:) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness I love this dress! So flipping fabulous!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This screams fall! Love the colors.This reminds me a bit of a monarch butterfly :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh this dress is absolutely gorgeous, you look lovely <3

    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful poem! And you look adooorsable in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ughhhhh I love your writing so much.. when is your book coming out?!

    That is an amazing dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this little write up and your super cute dress with that bow tie. One of my favorite looks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the loveliest post I've read in a long time! I think I'll be popping back to read that first paragraph again and again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely vintage dress! Treasure hunting is so fun so I'm sure she loves her job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man this dress. I need. It's so amazing! I love that print and how perfectly it fits you.
    Also I love reading everything you write.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This outfit is so perfectly fall!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, so beautiful. The imagery in your writing is just breathtaking, I love it! :)

    -Jessica
    http://sweetnessandsolitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this dress! and I love that you wore a collared top underneath and put a bow on it! so gorgeous! I'm going to try that out, too x

    x Francesca of http://primpandpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that print on your dress!!
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aaaw, Amelia sounds like a lovely lady!
    You're so poetic Marlen, I loved your About me, I can see we're quite alike, only I'm not that good at writing beautiful things :D
    This dress is everything, the perfect Fall piece, just look at the amazing colors! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahem, AND, you are a writer. A truly gifted one, who strings together words in such an enchanting way, you cast magic.
    Can't forget that part!
    Anyway, loooove that print and the fall colors. Looks like you're getting into the fall spirit whether you want to or not ;)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a fabulous dress and what a cute little shop! i love your about me as well, and now I want to shout hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oo what a fun dress! I love the look and floral prints! Plus it looks really great on you!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok so the dress is beautiful! But I think I'm more in love with your writing. Seriously, it's so lovely and true and I just want to keep re-reading it. And side note, just realized I was never following you through Blogger? What have I been doing with my life?!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that dress for fall! Your lipstick is beautiful!
    xo ClassToCloset

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing dress! I really love the collar!
    Victoria | GlamFizz
    or follow on Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  31. This dress is the bee's knees! Love the addition of the shirt and pussy bow.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your writing is beautiful and so is that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always enjoy reading your writing, there's something really calming about it? :) you look lovely here!

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Marlen! x Tagged you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! http://primpandpaper.blogspot.com/2014/09/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. that dress is STUNNING! just discovered your blog and i'm in love!

    Makeshift Munch

    ReplyDelete
  36. First, I love this dress. Second, the way you've written this post is absolutely lovely and paints a wonderful picture. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The print on that dress is just beautiful! And wow, you write just as beautifully... <3

    xo, Serli
    www.lesoleilchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your writing is so captivating. When I was reading that paragraph, I was getting so many pictures in my head. I know I've told you this a hundred times, but I just get so blown away that I have to let you know every time it happens, haha. This outfit is pretty awesome, too (: I love that you wore a collared blouse underneath the dress and tied a little ribbon around your neck! That was a really sweet touch.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This dress is stunning, but your "About Me" description was even better. You're such a beautiful writer. Truly. My favorite line was "I like the way girls' lips look like they're stained with berries," just because it's something I always think about but have never managed to work quite so well.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>