4 WAYS TO STYLE VINTAGE HATS

Sep 30, 2014

modern-ways-to-style-vintage-hats

Real talk, vintage can be intimidating for those that don't have a rockabilly sense of style. Because of that it's usually appreciated from afar, and girls just sigh quietly and continue on with their daily lives, wishing that some day they gather the courage to just wear that dress or go out with that hat. Well no more my loves. Today I teamed up with Hey Viv! Vintage- an Etsy store that has all that pinup and rockabilly glamour- to show you you can actually make vintage work with the style you already have! It's all about taking the vintage piece and giving it a modern twist. To prove it I took Hey Viv! Vintage's stewardess pillowbox hat and styled it in four different ways, spanning across different type of styles a girl might have: minimalist & simple, laid back & casual, cozy & feminine, and- lastly- just downright fancy & classic. See how effortless the statement hat looks in each one of the looks, and maybe gather the courage to try it yourself:


minimalist-styling-vintage-outfit

1. THE MINIMALIST LOOK: You'd probably pair a simple look like this with a wide brimmed hat or a sassy little fedora, right? Well why not a pillowbox hat then? If you're not looking to give off the vibe that you're heading to a soda-shop with your hunnie, pair the item with sleek, understated pieces. For example, in this look I chose form fitting overalls and a sheer box shirt to go underneath. The sheerness of the blouse is very on-trend and the fit of the overalls give a more youthful feel to the look, balancing out the vintage hat.

STYLING-vintage-hats-in-a-casual-modern-way

2. THE LAID BACK & CASUAL LOOK: When I first started playing with vintage I was under the impression that hats like these were only reserved for moments that called for full skirts and fancy prints. Sure, this hat would look killer with red lips and a dress that Betty Draper would kill for, but it amps up the charm factor when it's paired with something unexpected and laid-back. Like, say, a pair of high waist trousers and a rolled up plaid shirt. A beanie could have just as easily been paired with this look, but the vintage hat gave it a punch of class and a little more interest. 

fall-knits-and-peter-pan-collar-dress-fall-outfit

3. THE COZY & FEMININE LOOK: This is a look I see often on the blogoshpere and for good reason: the well known peter-pan-collar-dress-and-thick-over-sized sweater combo. It's a go-to for many during the fall season, and it never fails to make a gal feel cozy and cute without having to try too hard. I see many of you wear this look with a pompom beanie if you're feeling cheeky or with a beret if you want to add more to the sweetness, but as you can see here, a vintage hat brings in a slightly different vibe to the look. It helps make it feel a little more polished, a little more serious and lady-like. It takes your bundled-up fall look and transforms it into something you'd wear while pondering heavily over a cup of tea and stack of books.

CLASSIC-DRESS-outfit-and-hey-viv-vintage-hat

4. THE CLASSIC LOOK: And then sometimes a vintage hat needs to be worn in all its glory. But that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be worn with a vintage dress. It works with a lot of different styles, but I personally like it best with demure and flirty numbers like this H&M long-sleeved dress. The outfit would have been lovely without any extra accessorizing, but the hat really helped to raise up the overall lady-like vibe another notch.

See, not as intimidating as you thought! Have any of you styled vintage hats before? I'd love to hear your styling tips in the comments below. And if you're curious about Hey Viv! Vintage definitely check them out here- they have the best authentic vintage around. And- bonus- they're now carrying fun and sweet Halloween costumes!


selections



And for more tips on how to style vintage in a modern way, check out my post on how to blend vintage with your every day style and how to style vintage with modern pieces to make it less intimidating!



50 comments :

  1. OMG your style is the cutest! I think I like the overalls look the most - the minimalist!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute hat! The classic look is my favorite :)

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so interesting! I think the first is my absolute fav!
    xo ClassToCloset

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother-in-law got me the cutest green velvet vintage hat last year for my birthday, and I have no idea how to wear it. Now that I'm in the UK where people actually WEAR hats, though, I can't wait to break it out when the holidays roll around!

    <3 dani
    http://blog.shopdisowned.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute...you can certainly pull of the vintage look! My favorite look is the minimalist.

    Shannon
    Clothes & Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such amazing and bold style! I am insanely jealous of your creativity!

    xo

    Michaela

    http://michaelajeanblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. all ways looks beautiful ! but i like the most first and third !

    www.madamedaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, anything that has to do with hats is right up my alley! I lurve them. This is such a fantastic post! I am a fan of all of the above styles!

    I have a vintage green velvet hat that I used to wear with EVERYTHING! I had really really short hair (seriously, almost a buzz), and that darn hat looked so good with the short and growing out styles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your outfits are fantastic! I especially like the third one. Also, the red lipstick is a great touch:)

    Daisy | Simplicity Relished

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cozy and minimalist look!! Can't go wrong with classic.

    <3
    Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable hat! And such versatile styling ideas- I like the classic the best. That dress is amazing :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love the minimalist look, you look gorgeous.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post as always :) That hat is adorable!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, four outfits packed with awesomeness!! That first one is especially rad, so fresh and unexpected. I adore it!! Hope you're having a fabulous week, love!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. perrrrrfection, just like always!!! the last two are probably my favorites.....that chunky sweater! those nude ankle strap shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love being able to have that one piece that can be styled so many different ways! That oversized sweater with the plaid dress is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yup, the Classic takes the win for me! I love that green dress and those beige shoes!
    PS. where are those shoes from?
    Xx from the Girl in the Houndstooth Coat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is so unique, I love it! I think I vibe most with the classic vintage dress style here. Following you on instagram, pinterest, GFC and bloglovin now - Looking forward to future posts! :)

    Chelsea
    Chowing Down by the Bay
    Twitter
    Bloglovin
    Instagram
    Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm trying more, and more to become a hat person, because I love how they look on other people. I love all of these outfits, because they definitely show that hats can work for a variety of styles.

    -Helen

    Sweet Helen Grace

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm loving all of these looks! That hat is too cute on you! Number three is my fav, that layering is perfect!!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the casual look!

    Heidi Daoud
    www.wishesandreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fourth look is definitely my favorite! I am flabbergasted that that dress came from H&M, it has such a lovely vintage feel. My boyfriend gave me a beautiful teal vintage hat a while back, and I love it but have never worn it - this post reminds me that I could, and should!

    ~Isabella
    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  23. I guess I'm a cozy dresser, because I just want to crawl into that cardigan and fall asleep in it <3

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those overalls look so freaking cute on you! I love how the legs are more fitted than the Gap ones I lived in during the 90s :) I love this hat and how you paired it with some modern looks. As much as I love vintage, I definitely try not to look like I'm dressing in a costume or theme- it's fun to pair it with new pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really idolize you, you match outfits perfectly. Keep on blogging~

    Lou of, steal-thestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://asset-7.soup.io/asset/8029/2192_70b7.gif

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow i love you website its awesome nice colors you must have did hard work on your blog. Keep up the good work. Thanks
    From Ice Bucket Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  28. You styled that hat just perfect.Great looks!
    http://www.fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore all the ways you styled the hat (I think my favorite is the classics though). I love vintage everything but haven't adventured into hats too much, maybe that'll be the next thing I try to incorporate into my closet!

    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  30. i have a big crush on your overalls! you look great :)
    --jill

    www.thejjreport.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I find these posts really helpful. I tend to shy away from vintage as well, but I really liked the last two looks and could see them in my everyday wardrobe.


    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post! I definitely need more hats in my life. I think I am either a cozy dresser or a classic dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  33. all these looks are adorable!

    xo,
    Christina, Esq.
    http://mommusingsesq.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a really cute little tutorial. I have quite a few vintage hats, and I usually just pair them with my other vintage items. I'll have to start working them in with the rest of my wardrobe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So adorable! Great sense of styling! Really love the dungaree!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. First step: purchase vintage hat. Hehe. I really like your minimalist look. I still need to find some overalls that work for my body type. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete
  37. YOU DRESS THE BEST!!!!! You make unexpected (to me) outfits look AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  38. So fun!! I love hats but don't have any vintage ones... not sure how that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You look so fab! You definitely rock the vintage look. I don't have any vintage hats at the moment but I LOVE vintage! I used to go to the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena when I lived in California and I would love browsing the beautiful dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm kind of dying over those last two outfits!! Seriously so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  41. "Cozy dressers" and "Classics" are my favourite looks!
    Have a great day!

    Jenny
    www.stuff-i-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I suck at styling hats, not to mention vintage ones! The second outfit is my favorite, those glossy loafers make my day! ^_^ I loved this post so much, would be so happy to see more of these ^_^ You have the greatest sense of style!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Right were you when you said that us who don't have the rockabilia sense are a little intimidated by their pieces. This hat ir gorg tho, I wish I could fine one and try to style it, you make it look easy!!

    xMM
    THE LAME LIP
    INSTAGRAM
    LOOKBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  44. As you said, some of us are a little intimidated by rockabilly style because we have no clue on it, but you made it look really easy to style! I want one of those hats noooow

    xMM
    THE LAME LIP
    INSTAGRAM
    LOOKBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the minimalistic look. Cute.

    pinkandnavystripes.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Too cute, and great looks. I love that green classic dress on you, it really suits you.
    x x x

    http://labanna.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  47. Call me a Comfy Gal in a Cozy Dress... those are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>