THAT IMPATIENT SUN OF MINE

Aug 1, 2014

how-to-style-vintage-blousemousevox-vintage-floral-blousehow-to-layer-summer-dresses

Man, all this sunshine is being a terrible influence on me. I'm sitting at my kitchen table trying to get work done when here come those rays spilling through the open window, crooking their finger as they fall all over my typing hands, asking me why on earth I was still cooped up when they've been waiting outside for me for the past hour. And it's rude to keep a guest waiting, that sun would chide me. It's only here for another month or so. Fearing it'll leave without me, click goes my laptop as I snap it closed and abandon all that needs to be done.

It's terrible; I've no patience for anything productive now. Take Monday for example. Rather than returning home after a meeting in downtown, I instead bought a yogurt and a book of poems and headed to the park. I lied down on the grass and let the sun kiss freckles onto my cheeks as I dogeared pages I liked, and nearby there was a symphony practicing for their evening show underneath a trio of trees. So as they played their fairy-tale music, I read words laced with dreams, and as violins softly murmured and strings began to soar, I started to fall asleep with the sun behind my eyes.

This is the sort of stuff Julys are made of. Let's hope August is just as sweet.

floral-blouse
mousevox-vintage-etsy

And while I'm hanging out with the sun, I feel like I should dress the part. So out come my summer dresses and my best floral blouses. Some of you might remember this Mousevox Vintage blouse from a couple of weeks back, back when I wore it with bell bottomed pants. This time around I went for a softer look by popping it on top of a midi dress and knotting it at the waist to make it tighter. I like how the beige color of the dress sets off the riot of colors in the top and let's it do most of the legwork in the look. Mousevox Vintage is all 60's summers and vintage California girl, which makes sense seeing how it's based in Oakland. Rachel, the owner, nabs items with simple lines and clean shapes, and usually gravitates towards floral dresses, shifts, white sandals, and delicate blouses. If you have a simple and elegant style, then I would definitely go check out Mousevox Vintage here!

mousevox-vintage-floral-top

And here are some of my favorite items that they have right now, to give you an idea what they have:

selections
  ONE| TWO| THREE

outfit-details copy
DRESS: thrifted
SANDALS: Urban Outfitters
BLOUSE: c/o Mousevox Vintage
PURSE: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage

 photo Untitled-9_zps85ce6b37.jpg

19 comments :

  1. Lovely summer colors!:)

    www.gamesoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are enjoying summer to the fullest! I agree, the lovely sunshine is so hard to turn down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking some extra you time when the weather is this nice! Soon it'll be cold and grey again and you can get back to being productive at your normal level.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that skirt! Your park time with the poem book sounds so lovely! That's why I love summer!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your July sounds like cheesy scene from a movie, haha, so awesome! :D I'm kind of sick of this Summer already, I want Autumn and rain, and no obligations to go outside and "have fun" :D
    Love this outfit to death! The top is gorgeous, I love the design, looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang. The way you describe things makes everything you do sound so magical, and I love it. Now I really want to go lay in the grass and read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, sweet summer...

    Love how you tied that top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what I love about summer--sunshine and endless fun! I think it's good and healthy to indulge! Love this summery blouse too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this look, especially how you styled the shirt! Did you knot it and pull it under the shirt? However you did it, it's really cool :)

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, you're afternoon in the park sounds absolutely lovely. You're so artsy Marlen - a book of poems, lounging in the park, listening to a nearby symphony....haha, I love it!
    Anyway, love your bright and cheery top and your adorable wicker clutch - perfect for summer.

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad my office window doesn't face the outside, or the summer sun would be tempting me endlessly! I absolutely love that blouse on you, Marlen! Embodies summer perfectly. Have a wonderful, sunny weekend :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yet another flawless look! Love it! xo

    www.blancheneve.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The way you describe summer is magical!! I'm dreading the day when the sunshine leaves... I wish it would last forever. You look like a dream! I'm obsessed with your perfect vintage style. Always.


    Jessi
    www.haircutandgeneralattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading a book outside while listening to a symphony? That sounds like the perfect summer evening to me. Lovely outfit!


    ~Vicki
    decked out in ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why bother forcing productivity! I bet those symphonies and beautiful words will leave you inspired, especially when you're shacked up this Fall. I am the same, summer makes me so lazy. I just sit around parks with books or set up camp on patios, Sangria as my diet for the fleeting time summer is actual here..

    ReplyDelete
  16. super!:) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was just telling my husband how I like that so many of your outfits look like something from Paris Street Fashion (only, you know, more color) and then you just provide another great example :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>