Weekends are meant for playing and exploring, and when one does that she needs to dress the part. You can't just wear any old dress to that one rooftop bar you were meaning to hit up all summer. And will pants or a jumpsuit work better to that one book reading you heard about last week? In the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to try out this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them.
Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)
- Crop an old men's Hawaiian shirt and pair it with a maxi skirt, then hop onto a water taxi and spend an afternoon in Chinatown. While there, pop into the tiny Chiu Quon Bakery and load up on BBQ pork buns, moon cakes, and tiramasu, all of which hover around a $1 a piece. Nom nom nom.
- Take a sleeveless chambray shirt and pop it over a sleeved dress for a vest-like look and head over to The Hideout's Veggie Bingo night. Sip on beers, get aggressive with your scoreboard, and win fresh groceries from local farmers and gardeners.
- Take a sleeveless top and pair it with a full midi dress as a way to add extra color/texture and head to The Dawson, where you hunker down by an outdoor fireplace on their patio and order camp-inspired canteens for you and your friends.
- Shimmy on a maxi pinafore and pop on a detachable peter pan collar for a touch of sweetness and head over to the Canning 101 class to learn how to make your own homemade jam. Afterwards, feel free to leave a few of your tries on my kitchen table.
- Put on a sweeping midi skirt and pair it with an even longer duster vest for some drama and head over to Second City for an improv show that moves along by taking shouted suggestions from the audience. Raunchiness obvi ensues.
- Pair a long vest with a midi skirt to play with fun proportions and then belt it at the waist for a polished look. Afterwards head over to Bee & Tea where you can order a bubble tea with tapioca pearls and an embarrassing amount of bao. And I say embarrassing amount because you won't be able to help yourself with flavors like BBQ pork, chocolate hazelnut, and thai curry chicken. Swoon.