SIX OUTFITS TO TRY THIS WEEKEND

Aug 16, 2014

Weekends are meant for playing and exploring, and when one does that she needs to dress the part. You can't just wear any old dress to that one rooftop bar you were meaning to hit up all summer. And will pants or a jumpsuit work better to that one book reading you heard about last week? In the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to try out this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them. 

Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)

six-outfits-to-try-this-weekend

  1. Crop an old men's Hawaiian shirt and pair it with a maxi skirt, then hop onto a water taxi and spend an afternoon in Chinatown. While there, pop into the tiny Chiu Quon Bakery and load up on BBQ pork buns, moon cakes, and tiramasu, all of which hover around a $1 a piece. Nom nom nom.
  2. Take a sleeveless chambray shirt and pop it over a sleeved dress for a vest-like look and head over to The Hideout's Veggie Bingo night. Sip on beers, get aggressive with your scoreboard, and win fresh groceries from local farmers and gardeners.
  3. Take a sleeveless top and pair it with a full midi dress as a way to add extra color/texture and head to The Dawson, where you hunker down by an outdoor fireplace on their patio and order camp-inspired canteens for you and your friends. 
  4. Shimmy on a maxi pinafore and pop on a detachable peter pan collar for a touch of sweetness and head over to the Canning 101 class to learn how to make your own homemade jam. Afterwards, feel free to leave a few of your tries on my kitchen table.
  5. Put on a sweeping midi skirt and pair it with an even longer duster vest for some drama and head over to Second City for an improv show that moves along by taking shouted suggestions from the audience. Raunchiness obvi ensues. 
  6. Pair a long vest with a midi skirt to play with fun proportions and then belt it at the waist for a polished look. Afterwards head over to Bee & Tea where you can order a bubble tea with tapioca pearls and an embarrassing amount of bao. And I say embarrassing amount because you won't be able to help yourself with flavors like BBQ pork, chocolate hazelnut, and thai curry chicken. Swoon.

30 comments :

  1. This blog post is so brilliant! Wow, the veggie bingo night sounds right up my street. Such a shame I'm all the way across the pond haha. I've recently gotten into midi skirts and dresses so this is just the inspiration I needed.

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every single one of these outfits- they are so cute and carefree for the weekend! I love the sleeveless shirt and midi dresses picture- the skirt is so cute.

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how fall-ish all of these outfits are. Somewhere in the last week, I got really excited for fall and now I'm sad that it's kind of warm today. Oh well!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely!
    the hawaiian crop shirt is really cute!

    peacequiethere.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number six is my absolute favourite and I want to emulate it right now! I'm going to experiment with what I've got tomorrow and see what I come up with! Great ideas!

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! These events all sound fun! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am incredibly partial to your crop top. The Hawaiian print makes it even better. :D

    love,
    a

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must find an old man's Hawaiin shirt to crop *_*
    That outfit was one of my faves!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of these! Such a good idea to crop the shirt
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the number 4!!
    Xxx
    Lorna

    Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, sounds like you have quite the weekend planned! :P I do have a pull out from the paper of the best roof top bars in London and I keep meaning to check them out, thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are loving these looks so much and the tips are perfect. So in love with the first outfit and definitely have to steal your Hawaiian shirt!

    xx 365hangers

    ReplyDelete
  13. These outfits are all so perfect -
    I LOVE the first one and thank you for that tip,
    I still have a Hawaiian shirt from my dad laying
    around somewhere, I will defintely crop it, too. :)

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this inspiration. I will definitely be coming back for more. I also recently featured you on my blog!

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  15. #2 and #3 are soooo gorgeous! And, Chicago sounds totally awesome. It seems like nothing interesting goes on where I live. Veggie bingo? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you cropped that Hawaiian shirt, it looks so perfect on you! I am and will always be amazed by your styling and layering skills. You have it down to a science :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such great looks! I love the cropped Hawaiian shirt, so fun!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Um sooo fabulous!! Love all these looks!! The second one with stripes and chambray is my fav!!

    <3 Shannon
    upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these outfits! You have such a creative eye! I love the colors in the Hawaiian crop top look!

    Best,
    Christie
    www.classifybychristie.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are so lovely and those outfits look amazing on you!
    Take a look at my blog :)
    http://coldinvitation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. your style is so dang fun! I love how you are adventurous in your clothing! and you can pull anything off!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your style is so unique! Love it

    Check out my blog: alexandranicolexo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your style is so unique and eclectic! Love it! Always with a bohoesque hippie touch and always chic! <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can I first just say that I'm absolutely swooning over your blog layout. It is classic and chic, but altogether unique as well. Absolutely beautiful! And I love the concept of this post, too. You look great in all six looks but I definitely think the knotted chambray is next on my list of looks to try! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm really digging your blog layout, Marlen! It's really neat and clean and very chic.

    I also really like the layering you've got going on here--big fan of shirts under dresses, guilty as charged!

    Demi | carbonchic.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have such a fun, vintage style! I love it!!
    xo Erin
    www.winkandatwirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that you incorporate local events with your blog!
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. all these outfits are so cute! I love the layering <3

    http://britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like the cropped Hawaiian shirt!

    www.madeinmauve.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>