PATTERN MIXING

Aug 11, 2014

dressed-in-the-dark-vintage-floral-skirt
how-to-pattern-mix

This weekend was one of those where I closed the blinds, threw my phone under the couch, and just wanted to hangout by myself. There was lots of couch one-on-one time, where me and my old friend reconnected and made up for lost time. The cushion where I parked it for two days is now alarmingly dented, but sometimes you just need to be a slob and regroup, amiright?

Now that it's a new day (and a new week!) I'm getting my act back together, and the best way to start with that undertaking is to throw on a floral skirt. This Dressed in the Dark Vintage one is such a fun one because A) it's a dark floral and B) the length is hovering just between a midi and a maxi. Not going my usual chambray shirt or sheer, loose blouse way, I instead paired it with a polka dot crop top for a more playful look. At first I worried that the pairing might be a scosh too busy, but the black in the skirt flows with the black dots in the top, so the overall look feels seamless. Seeing how polka dots plus flowers is such a girly look, I added a pop of contrast by pairing it with a sporty visor and chunky cut-out heels. I've been really digging this sporty trend lately so be prepared for me to continue abusing it ;) 

And some of you might recognize the Etsy store Dressed in the Dark because it's run by a fellow blogger, Skye from My Kingdom for a Hat!  She's undertaking a big move right now, so take away some of the packing pain by popping over and saying hi :)

dressed-in-the-darkvintage-midi-skirtvintage-skirts-and-crop-tops
crop-tops-and-maxi-skirts


outfit-details copy
VISOR: Urban Outfitters
CROP TOP: thrifted and then hemmed into a crop (similar: here, here)
SKIRT: c/o Dressed in the Dark Vintage (similar: hereherehere, here)
CUT OUT HEELS: Urban Outfitters

 photo Untitled-9_zps85ce6b37.jpg

15 comments :

  1. super:) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polka dots and florals are a must! I need to try this out... plus I'm loving the maxi skirt too!
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are wearing a visor, and pulling it off! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute oufit, that maxi skirt is gorgeous! xx

    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an unexpected combo, but I love it! I will definitely check out My Kingdom for a Hat.

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sporty trend, and the mixture of spots and floral print! Such a lovely outfit x

    www.totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove polka dots and florals together! You look so cute, as always. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable floral! You look so cue! That's a great way to mix patterns! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a perfectly laid-back weekend- I agree! And this floral/polka dot combo really speaks to me! So pretty and right up my alley :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dot and floral pairing really works well. I think it is that the shirt is light where the skirt is dark and the shirt has a smaller pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've really always wanted to mix patterns, but I'm always afraid that it will look tacky! This outfit definitely doesn't look tacky, so I guess I have that for inspiration, but do you have any tips on pattern mixing? I'd love to see some of the other things you'd come up with! (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to mix dots with florals- it's a big dream of mine- but I never found the right skirt! Funny thing though, I just bought a floral skirt two days ago and it might match a white top like you're wearing! Great post, so inspirational!

    Have a lovely week,
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. pattern play at its best! Love it!
    xo Jessica
    www.NewlyLoved.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so cute in a bill! I love it. You can never go wrong with polka dots and floral prints together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hanging out by myself but I think I may be doing that a little too often lately! Anyway, I think these prints look fantastic together! That skirt is so wonderfully colorful. Also I always love those shoes.

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>