It seems that I've made it my summer goal not to do anything typical with my warm evenings out and about. Go out for drinks? Sure, but let's do it at a prohibition era bar. Catch a movie? Only if it's on a blanket at the park (with wine sneakily hidden in our bag). And one of my favorite parts of finding these quirky activities is deciding what to wear to them. I mean, are pants or skirts more appropriate to go eat beignets and drink Pimms Cups on restaurant patio decks? So in the spirit of that, here's a new series offering you fun ideas to play with during this weekend, as well as suggestions on what to wear to them.
Chicago readers- these are real events happening this weekend. And everyone outside our area, go find these in your own town! I want to read all about it come Monday :)
- Pair your polka dot dress with a sleeveless turtleneck and wear it to a coffee 101 brewing workshop- then come back here and tell me how to mix honey and cayenne pepper into my morning cup!
- Top off your high waisted pants with a loose, knotted blouse and watch a Sunday night movie at one of downtown's swankiest rooftop bars. Watching The Lego Movie with skyscrapers lit up around you? Don't mind if I do.
- Tuck in a long vest into your skirt to create a dress-like look and go to that ice cream pop-up just around the corner. Now the only question is: do you get the scoop with blueberry waffle pieces or strawberry shortcake bits?
- Throw on some cat eyes and your best straw hat for a lazy, summer-lovin' feel as you take your friends out to the new underground tequila bar in town. Sip on spicy, strong concoctions and watch the bartenders put on a show with their bottle flips and potion lookin' viles. I think that's a solid Saturday afternoon.
- Match your light chambray shirt with some dark-wash high waist jeans and make it a girls day by going to this fun, bar themed salon. They specialize in blowouts, and each style is named after a drink that you choose from a menu (ex: the Cosmopolitan has tons of loose curls, while the Mai Tai is messy and beachy). But fear not- there's still booze involved! They offer you mimosas while your sit in the chair ;)
- Pop a chambray top underneath your loose smock dress and head over to the local library book fair. Fitzgerald and Green books for under $3? Yea, I'm there.