HAWAIIAN SHIRTS ARE FOR WEEKENDS

Jul 7, 2014

thrift-store-findsTropical-print-shirt
how-to-style-crop-tops

This weekend was one of those three day affairs that were good for the soul. Fourth of July I plotzed on the beach with one of my best friends and (sneakily) drank champagne from soda cans as (she) worked on her tan and (I) worked on my sunburn. Afterwards we went to an outside patio where we drank spiked slushies and ate fried fish sandwiches under fairy lights that zig zagged underneath the late afternoon sky. The late afternoon sky that soon broke out into dazzling lights, ripping through the black with fizzes of red and white, and pops of blue. I wanted to touch them like sparklers but they were too far away.

After all that one would think that on Saturday we'd be out of commission and lazying around. Maybe some of us would even be trying to get a certain two-degree sunburn under control? But no. We decided to be adventurers. We packed ourselves into the car and drove to the nearest state park where we could go wild climbing all over nature. We tight rope-d across fallen trees, slid through cave holes, climbed underneath waterfalls, peeked into openings like they were Alice's rabbit hole, and followed streams as if they were trail paths. We ate gold fish crackers on fallen logs and quietly sat on boulders that faced the slow moving rivers. Afterwards we were muddy, bug bitten, and very satisfied.

We're also going to build a house by one of the waterfalls, so feel free to visit us if the mood so strikes. That's where I'll be. Living like Thoreau just not as...crazy. I'll make you super shitty tea but, hey, it's the thought that counts ;)

ho-to-style-hawaiin-shirtshawaiin-print-shirt

Now let's talk about this outfit! This is pretty much what my style has morphed into: loose, long skirts, crop tops, prism necklaces, and white sandals. And what's amazing is that this whole look didn't cost more than $30. The skirt was $2 from the thrift store and the shirt was originally a men's Hawaiian shirt that cost about the same. I've really been liking the tropical trend this summer, but I was aware that I could end up looking like my dad on vacation with a full blown men's Hawaiian shirt. So I did the obvious thing to make it less male: I turned it into a crop top! And what's fun about this particular crop top is that since it's a men's shirt the sleeves are really long. Keeping that in mind, I decided to make the hem level with them so the finished top would give off this flowy, buttoned-up-cape look. Now excuse me as I try to convince myself to not wear this four days in a row. 


outfit-details copy
SHIRT: thrifted and hemmed into crop top (similar: here)
SKIRT: thrifted (similar: here, here, here)
SANDALS: Target (on sale now! ugh.)
NECKLACE: Cocorrina
BELT: Calvin Klein (thrifted)
 photo Untitled-9_zps85ce6b37.jpg

39 comments :

  1. I love how you paired this cropped shirt with a long fitted skirt! your hair looks lovely :)
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlen, you are just too cute! I love the reworked crop top. I have actually been stalking my dad's old clothes (some gems from the 80s-90s), and this gives me so many ideas!

    Sounds like you had a fun weekend, lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally in love with your style, its so unique yet elegant! You look so pretty as well. Keep it up.

    Lou of, steal-thestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your top! Sounds like you had an awesome long weekend!

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, let me say that you totally captivate me with your writing. Like, wow. The description you wrote about your weekend was amazing. Secondly, your hair is lookin' good, girl! The way you styled it looks so darling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did with the Hawaiian shirt!

    www.splitneedles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like my dream fourth of July. Especially the spiked slushies and fried fish. Actually, I think I can make that happen any day. I hope your sunburn starts to heal up soon! And I love this outfit. Is there anything more Americana than a Hawaiian shirt? I think not. xx

    The What's In Between

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your weekend sounds amazing! Let me know when you move to that waterfall- I'll be your first visitor! ; )

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shirt makes it seem very edgy somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your weekend sounded like so much fun! I worked on my sunburn a little bit too, but stayed indoors mostly. I'm digging the crop top trend as well and I think you look super cute with your men's shirt turned crop top :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Champagne from soda cans? Ya'll are geniuses! Also, you look amazing in that crop top!!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow your weekend sounds amazing, I'm jealous. I've also got a cropped Hawaiian shirt so im deffo going to try pair it with a long skirt as opposed to my usual jeans and converse combo.

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a special style, I love it! Vintagey, eclectic and different, so cool! I think i don't know anyone who could pull off this combo of skirt and top like you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fact that the shirt used to be mens and you've cropped it down, it looks awesome! Will deffo be trying this!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello lovely, thank you for the sweet comment on my blog, I really appreciate it! :) Wow, what a gorgeous outfit, I love it!

    I have a new outfit post up on my blog, I would love to know your thoughts:

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this outfit this shirt is so beautiful Dear !

    Haha oh no I hope your sunburn is not so bad... Well how can it be good... Lol
    Xxx
    Lorna

    Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooohhh lovin this crop Hawaiian top. Definitely not your usual boring ol' shirt. Knowing you, you totally re-purposed this from a regular shirt. I was going to say that I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before, but of course I wouldn't see this at the stores since you made it yourself. Great look!

    ♥ Gita @ mimiandchichi.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a lovely sounding weekend. =) I love that.
    Your look is so lovely, too! I like how you styled everything. The "crop top trend" looks so feasible in this outfit.
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice:) xx
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that you made that Hawaiian top into a crop top! x
    M

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your weekend sounds amazing, and hemmed hawaiian shirts are totally my jam!!! I also recently wore a mens one just unbuttoned at the bottom and tied up (you know, B-Spears via 2001 style!) Anyway, you look darling and I love the shirt makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your weekend sounds spectacular! I'm envious of your state park adventures - I miss traipsing through the woods like that. I hiked through the rainforest in Panama last winter and want that strong, adventurous feeling again!

    Great idea to crop the Hawaiian shirt! It looks like something that could be sold in a very hip store for about 15 times what you paid for it :)

    ~Isabella
    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your shirt is genius, Marlen, or rather it's you who is genius! You look fabulous and ready for hot days! Crop a few other shirts and wear them 4 days a week! :) It sound like you had the best weekend ever. Love your writing - it's like reading a good novel. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I love what you did to the top, it definitely makes it look so much more feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're too cute!! Love that Hawiian top made into a crop top! So perfect for summer!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think the way you cut that top looks awesome! It's very cape like and unique. Plus tropical print. Hell yes. I really like it paired with this long skirt. Also your hair is looking very cute here.

    It sounds like you had a fantastic week full of adventures! I sat in the air conditioning for most of mine haha. I'm boring.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look gorgeous and this was styled wonderfully with the fun tropical print and denim skirt!
    I really enjoy your blog so far and would love to follow each other--please join my GFC and I'll follow you right back!

    StylizedLuxe
    Instagram

    xo Jess

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, your weekend definitely sounds like a win. I visited the beach as well but didn't get to see any waterfalls. And again, you've got mad skills when it comes to thrifting and altering thrifted pieces. This crop top looks amazing on you :)

    Also, thank you so much for sending me that refinery29 link. I'm am SO excited about my trip to Chicago! Definitely going to take those places into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bahaha, okay, I'll come visit you! Sounds like a marvelous weekend and 4th, I'm quite jealous actually.
    I love this cropped Hawaiian shirt on you Marlen, you look splendid!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like you had a great weekend! (I, too, got sunburned walking in a parade on the 4th. Ouch!) I really love this outfit. The top is so cute! I'm loving the tropical trend, as well. I actually have a big tropical circle skirt coming in the mail either today or tomorrow. :P

    Cheers!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  31. your weekend sounds sososo fun! I'm glad you chose adventuring over laying around. also I am very impressed by the transformation of the cropped Hawaiian shirt!

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ah, so glad you had such an adventurous, reviving long weekend! And loving the Hawaiian print. Looking fabulous, as always! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this top on you! Look so pretty. Sounds like you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great idea for a sometimes tacky mens Hawaiian shirt, especially since crop tops are so in right now and that seems very easy to accomplish. Ah Ive been meaning to make it to a state park since I hear the ones within driving distance of Chicago are lovely.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. There is a spectacular top on Nasty Gal vintage its to die for. I think you would like it. Tell me if you see it online!
    jessC

    www.ineedanothercloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cute Marlen!

    Briana
    herringboneheroine.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>