GREAT GATSBY EXTRA

Jul 15, 2014

how-to-style-sheer-maxi-skirtsblack-dresses-in-summerprism-necklaceslace-maxi-dresses 
When you live in a place that's basically Winterfell (Chicago = ten months of winter, God help us all) you make the most of your summers. And I have been squeezing mine dry. On Friday I went to a BBQ joint that made you feel like you were eating food straight off the grill in your best friend's back yard, with tables strewn across the grass and fairy lights criss-crossing over themselves to stitch a roof over your head. We shared a tray of waaay too much smoked BBQ, gabbing the way girlfriends do, closing our eyes over queso corn and gesturing enthusiastically with forks over mouthfuls of pulled pork. If I could, I'd move in there while the waiters weren't looking. A plan is being drafted, stay tuned.

Then switching moods, yesterday I decided to make my Monday fancy and go to one of the oldest hotels in downtown Chicago to watch black and white movies over cocktails. Walking into the lobby made me instantly wish I had white silk gloves and some dramatic, draping sash swishing down the side of my dress to the floor. Talk about glamour. It was all chandeliers and mirrored ceilings, white leather couches and callaillies. I felt like I'd see Daisy and Gatsby breeze past me any moment now, their laughter egged on by the pink champagne cocktails they just had at the bar. The movie was House on Haunted Hill, a spooky 1950's movie that made you giggle over its cheesiness as you sipped pretty cocktails with names like Vampire's Delight and Witch's Brew. Watching old movies is fun alone but made extra entertaining when you have a room full of strangers, your eyes meeting and dancing over the rim of your glass as both of you share a laugh over the skeleton that was supposed to be scary but looked like he was just doing the hula. Now I can't wait for the next one- and that'll give me just enough time to find those white silk gloves ;)

black-and-white-outfiturban-outfitters-sheer-lace-skirt

Speaking of fancy, let's talk about this look, shall we? Let me introduce to you all my favorite things: the black column dress, the prism necklaces, and this sheer, lacy delight of a skirt. When I put it all together I almost passed out in front of the mirror out of happiness; I had to grab the wall as I weakly fanned my face. 

I found this skirt under a pile of clothes in a super sale in Urban Outfitters and instantly had to have it. I didn't know how to style it or what to do with it, but goddamn it, it was going to be mine. And trying to figure out how to not show my knickers to the world has been fun. So far I've been putting it over solid column dresses, over knee length frocks to show some leg, and I saw a photo of pairing it with a blazer to create a contrast with the delicate fabric and the sturdy jacket. I can't wait to try that one. What do you think- do you have any ideas? I'd love to hear!

outfit-details copy

DRESS: thrifted (similar: here, herehere, here)
SKIRT: Urban Outfitters (similar: here, here)
NECKLACES: Urban Outfitters & Cocorrina

 photo Untitled-9_zps85ce6b37.jpg

39 comments :

  1. Oh this look is too fun! Just perfect for sipping champagne and tossing your hair like you don't care.. I love it! Well done.
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know that you live in chicago! I'm from chicago as well! so i can definitely relate to the making most of your summers. this skirt is freaking beautiful btw, it's so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS LOOK! I love the overlay of the UO skirt. My husband and I are going to a Jazz Age Lawn Party next month and I'm on the search for the perfect roaring '20s shoe. I have a dress in mind already that own. Man I love this time period of dressing!

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very fun look indeed.

    That movie event sounds absolutely FANTASTIC to go to. I wish we had more things like that here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine u wrote that in one breath, it is impossible not to see u are in love with certain kind of things. and that is always great, it doesn't matter what it is about (-: And that dress fits u just like that, great. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love that skirt, it looks lovely on you!

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the vibe of this outfit so much! That see through skirt is absolutely stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect!:) xx
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah- queso corn sounds good! It probably says a lot about me that that's what stuck out to me first. Ha!
    I love this look! I don't think I would have known what to do with the skirt, but seeing it over a black column dress it's like 'of course!' Brilliant! :-)
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Yes, More yes, and then a smidgen of yes heaped on top for good measure.
    I am in love with this skirt. I actually just found myself running through my head all the ideas of things I could wear it with, as I plan to embark on a search for something similar immediately.
    And I am so jealous of the retro movie night!! I would love to find something like that here in NYC (that didn't cost an arm and a leg)

    <3 dani
    www.shopdisowned.com
    http://blog.shopdisowned.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. To say that I love this look would be a gross understatement because woah. It's amazing and perfect and I just want to copy errrrthing. Fantastic find with the sheer skirt - lucky ducky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 10 months of winter? I thought Scotland was bad! You poor girl! That skirt is phenomenal! I just adore your cute hair! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Classy yet fun, love anything to do with see-through mesh fabrics. I like that you layered on top of the dress, but you could have gone more extreme and do the short shorts under and you'd have been cool too.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, Toronto was rather Winterfell-esque this year too! Love the way you've layered that skirt- great inspiration, as always! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dunno about you, but hula hooping skeletons have always frightened the poop outta me. I luuuuuuhve this look on you, Marlen. That gauzy, Gatsby-esque piece is the funnest thing I've seen in a long time. SWIRL AND TWIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marilyn ( I just read your About me page)! I must say, you are a very good writer. That, and I am loving your skirt! ;-)

    www.girlinahotcity.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your skirt is absolutely stunning! I've never seen one like it! Thanks for checking out my blog as well :)

    Best,
    Christina

    looksbylau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ommmmggggg obsessed! Right when I saw the title of this post I knew I was going to love it and it didn't disappoint! Gorgeous!!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOLY CRAP THIS SKIRT. I'm in love. Also in love with the necklaces. This whole outfit is perfect, and so are you. That sounds like the most amazing night, and I want to visit Chicago again and go with you. One day it will happen.

    Also, Game of Thrones reference in the first sentence? Win.

    www.room-334.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This skirt!!!! *_*
    Gah, I can't wait till I move, the city I'll be living in will have an Urban Outfitters, so they'll be taking all my money :P
    Haha, love how you styled it and can't wait to see it with the blazer!
    I'd wear it with a loose, cream colored crop top I have for a boho feel. Layer it with long necklaces, some cool bracelets, and aviators, it'd be perfect for summer. Haha, that's how I imagine I'd wear it at least

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahah I know what you mean, I've been squeezing my Summer as well, although in a more asocial way :D Love this sheer skirt, can't believe how perfect it is, you can mix everything with it! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow nice outfit!! Love your accesories the most~! Those necklaces are so enchanting!! Amazing! Lovely post, amazing blog!

    http://thefacelessstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a perfect look in my eyes! You are definitely making the most out of these few summer days.

    www.whydelilah.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This outfit is fantastic, it sounds like you've had some magical evenings lately.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your dress is so formal yet so trendy, its amazing how the skirt looks like.

    www.theblogbyrj.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG This outfit is GORGEOUS! Seriously it may be one of my favorites that you've styled on your blog, that skirt is amazing! Also omg its so funny how I always know what you're talking about…. did you go to is it monday black and white movies and drinks at the Drake? Ive been planning on doing that sometime in the future haha
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look gorgeous in this outfit, love your maxi skirt and i know you'll never fail to be a head turner in this whole look<3

    Join my Giveaway here!
    Visit my blog: www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the sheer skirt overlay! I would have never thought of that. I will definitely keep it in mind for inspiration down the road.

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this look! Oh my Gosh.... sounds like you had tons of fun. I just know if we met we would hit it off.... a girl after my own heart. Sipping fancy cocktails and watching Black and White movies.... so fun!
    xoxo
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your writing is beautiful, I could picture every last detail. It sounds like such a perfect evening, watching an old movie over cocktails in a fancy old hotel. I need to find something like that in NY. I love this look so much, pairing that skirt with a maxi dress is genius!

    prosecco in the park

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this look. So elegant :) And that movie events sounds like so much fun! My mind is always focused on live music events but I should really start paying attention to movie screenings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That place you went to sounds amazing! I'm a horror loving gal, so anything spooky definitely peaks my interest (especially in months like July when the spooky vibes are particularly low. Can it be October already?!) And House on Haunted Hill is a pretty awesome movie (:

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are KILLING it with the 90s grunge hotty look! I know what you mean about squeezing summer for all it's worth- all my years in Oregon were like that, I couldn't waste a second of nice weather. You are lucky to live in such a rad city, sounds like there's always fun stuff to do!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That skirt is amazing and you've styled it beautifully! This is too good. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. that sounds like an amazing night! gotta find out if there's anything like that in phoenix. i think you've kind nailed the look here. the only other thing i would try is a shorter skirt, like you said. love the idea of a blazer to contrast the sweetness
    xo jac
    thesunshinedistrict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. You did a great job combining the white skirt with the black dress! You're the layering queen!
    As Linda B said, I would love to see it with a blazer!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>