DRESS LAYERING IDEAS FOR SUMMER

Jun 19, 2014

fight-for-flight-vintagefight-for-flight-tropical-print-dress
fight-for-flight-black-and-white

Remember this black and white Fight for Flight dress from a few days ago? Well I've been having some fun with it! If you're ever out shopping and happen to come across a neutral toned pinafore, I beg of you, buy it. This mustard suede one literally goes with everything. I'm hard pressed to find something it doesn't jive with, and I love how easy it is to make a fun outfit on the fly by just popping it over something. Now granted, I'm going to be wearing this tropical print dress on its own for most of the summer, but for the sake of the post I wanted to show you a more creative way you can wear such a bold pattern. I had a few comments where some of you love the tropical/Hawaii print trend, but feel like you look too crazy in it. 

Which is understandable, not everyone is comfortable wearing loud patterns. But you can always quiet them down with a little bit of layers- like a pinafore or a vest! And before you ask me how I'm wearing two dresses at once- the pinafore is suede and so it's a thicker material (just like how a denim pinafore would be) and the Fight for Flight dress is thin and slinky. Because of that, it doesn't bunch and look bulky. If you have something like this in your closet, go try it! You might just like it :)

fight-for-flight-dressfight-for-flight-etsy

And Fight for Flight Vintage is a fun little boutique that has a sharp eye for 80's and 90's items. Right now they have an abundance of grungy flower dresses, printed high waist jeans, and leopard dresses! Here are some of my favorite picks from there to give you an idea of what they're all about:

selections



outfit-details copy

DRESS: c/o Fight for Flight Vintage (similar: hereherehere)
PINAFORE: c/o Omnia Vintage (similar: herehere, here, here
SANDALS: Target

 photo Untitled-9_zps85ce6b37.jpg

24 comments :

  1. That velvet dress is amazing, so appealing and chic:) You look wonderful, as always:)
    Wish you a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the print of that blouse, and the sleves are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look is so unique, but has a classic vibe I love...like, I can see a movie character wearing this! (I'm a costume designer at heart!) I have yet to ever layer two dresses, and I'm going to make a goal of it - I think I already have some that might work. Exciting!

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaw this is so cute. I like how you're wearing all neutrals but it's still a bright and exciting outfit. :D GOSH you are impressive, Miss Marlen.

    PS) HOW'S THAT WORKING COMING ALONG HUH? YOU GETTIN' SHIT DONE? I'M WATCHIN U *does the eye thing*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for suede! THat's what I'm all about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love this! I love the print on the black dress, but even more so paired with the pinafore. I feel like the pinafore simultaneously subdues the pattern and adds depth to it. (Because it's somewhat concentrated into a smaller area of fabric? Does that even make sense?) Either way, love this look!

    sampzandsuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I am LOVING your hair right now. It's so sharp and striking on you, and you look amazing. Plus, the lipstick! I think you wear lipstick the best out of anyone I've ever known.
    This outfit is so fun! I love the big shoulders, haha! Is that weird? I have a secret affinity for dresses with 80's shoulder pads, even though they would never work on me. But anyway. The mustard pinafore with that black and white print is perfect!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is wonderful. You are definitely in your element! I'm loving the way your hair is looking lately too. Such a cute bob!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mustard is gorgeous! Love the way you layer things xx

    aforvogue.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. The answer to any fashion problem is always layers! At least, that's how I feel like :P
    Haha, and you prove that!
    Love how you reused this dress...with another dress! Haha, genius :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well duuuh, this pinafore is a dream come true to any layering maniac. It goes with everything and it looks so original! ^^ love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its true I Love patterns but sometimes its too much. Nevertheless its a really pretty outfit on you girl , classical vintage rocks.
    Xxx
    Lorna

    Love From Paris,
    Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting my blog; it was lovely to have you! :) Your blog is so cool- I love all the vintage you consistently wear!

    Miranda
    littlegoldpocketwatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a wonderful way to tone down a bold print! I love patterns but often have a hard time figuring out how to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I think I've seen this dress before in the past but you manage to keep it fresh everytime by layering it and styling it different ways. You are so cute and creative!
    xoxo
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right I guess I didnt give much thought to that if the materials differed, one being much lighter then the other it makes for easier layering. I guess I just assume that if you have the heavier layer like the pinafore doesn't it make for feeling hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I wouldn't recommend doing this when it's 90 degrees out, haha, but it doesn't feel very hot. I'd say it's very similar to having a vest on top of a dress. It's an extra layer, but it doesn't feel like you're sweating the whole day :)

      Delete
  17. That's a great pinafore (I need one! I used to love them when I was... 23 - I need to find that photo! :), and combined with this gorgeous print... just love it!

    I love the subtlety of your style...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your advice about calming down loud patterns by layering. It is an interesting take on things but your blog shows it works!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mustard and suede in just one piece of cloth! This must be heaven! I love that dress, it's a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so sweet, and your hair is always the cutest. :) I'm loving your blog redesign as well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Splendid combo! I never would have paired it with that bright mustard pinafore, but it's magical. Glad you love the dress :) xoxoxo Becca

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>