Text for Tired Eyes

May 14, 2014

crop-top-lookhow-to-style-crop-topnew-old-fashion-vintage-midi-skirt

I have become obsessed with the poet Tyler Knott Gregson, and below is exactly why. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I want to chuck my heart at his feet. Sigh.

Text for Tired Eyes:

I want to be your fanciest shoes and I want to be the way they actually hurt so you cannot wait to take them off. I want to be the sound of fingernails begin clipped in bathroom walls when the clock is rounding 12 and searching for single digits again. I want to be secretly annoyed you never clean them up. I want lazy Sundays and busy Saturdays and the freedom Friday brings and the apprehension of a Thursday at 2:45 pm and the quite moments reading on a Wednesday when it snows and a Tuesday where we rent the best new movies and a Monday filled with lethargy. I want the weeks and the months of you but I want the hours and the seconds more. I want the tiny ticks between a second and I want whatever lives between those. I want to be all the fairytales we tell all the kids we ever meet and the way we are actually talking about ourselves. I want the Christmas lights and the glow in your eyes and the sound of paper crinkling and the little bits of glitter dust left after tying all the bows. I want the dancing. All the dancing in all the places to all the songs and the shuffling of two sets of feet that have waited a lifetime to orbit each other. I want the road and the sky and the plane and the car and the exhaustion and the elation and the sea and the mountains high. I want the fever you chill and the cold you soothe and the drive to the hospital when the room must be of an emergency variety. I want the humming and I want the soft lullaby of your sleeping next to me. I want to be the one to remind you of the strength you’ve always been made of and I want to be the one to hold you when adrenaline is all that remains when that strength runs out. I want to be the reminder that you don’t ever need a reminder that you are made of wild things and they frolic inside you without a single thought to who may be watching or what thoughts might be filling their heads. I want to be the eyes that widen on your face as you realize your worth. I want to be the roots of you and the soil they love the taste of.

crop-top-outfithow-to-style-midi-skirt

PS, pro tip: This turtleneck isn't a crop top; I just tucked them hem under the wire of my bra. It sounds ridiculous, but it works, haha.

outfit-details copy
SKIRT: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage (similar: here and here)
SHOES: Urban Outfitters (similar: here)
CROP TOP: thrifted
SWEATER: Urban Outfitters

Coffee
vintage-griffin
lucy-blue
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

27 comments :

  1. That's not a crop top?! That's amazing! Love this outfit. I wished we lived closer so we could wear our pink/ blue paisley dresses at the same time hahaha! (But really, I'm serious). Glad someone can relate to the woes of moving! I move so often I don't even really mind it for the most part, but my current landlord is a NUTJOB so its stressing me out! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now I'm sitting on my couch weeping like a ninny. That passage is so beautiful. I'm glad there are people like that in this world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! Crop tops and midi skirts have to be one of my favorite combos! So pretty!!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha I love your crop top creation. I'm all about midi skirts right now and I just love the ruffle waistband on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, so beautiful! I had to go look up more of his work and I'm not usually one for poetry! Thanks for sharing it! :-)
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? he has a book of it that I'm just about to buy- I can't wait to pour over it!

      Delete
  6. You look beautiful
    Love the outfit.
    Great post.
    xoxo
    http://stunningchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a genius idea! It looks like a great crop top!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That paragraph is absolutely beautiful! I definitely would like to check out his work now:) And wow love this outfit-it's so cool how you turned the turtle neck into a crop top! I have always wanted to do that. Anyway, thank you for sharing and I hope you have a fabulous week.
    xo Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that skirt!! Those shoes are so perfect for a midi skirt! I love how you made a not crop top a crop top!!

    Maggie
    www.PolishedClosets.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome outfit! I'm so glad I discovered your blog <3

    Sweet Madame Blue

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was such a moving piece of poetry! I think it describes not just love, but life in such a real way. The big moments are fantastic, sure. But when I think about all the things I love in living, it's the little moments; farmer's market runs on Sunday mornings, snowy days sleeping in, rolling your window down as you drive home from work on a summer evening. Thank you so much for sharing, I'll definitely be looking more into his poetry!

    Also--I am going to definitely be taking your hint and just rolling my hems into my bra as well! Freakin' genius.

    The What's In Between

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful words and an awesome look to accompany them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! It did work, I never would have guessed it without reading that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How is that not a crop top?! I'd look like a hot mess if I made this same attempt!

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cool pieces ans outfit
    Very great photshoot to :)
    http://heyhadrien.blogspot.com/2014/05/club-arctic.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely poetry! Thank you for sharing. I also love the shape of your skirt, so classic!
    xx,

    Paisley

    paisleynotplaid

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look very lovely in this outfit! I love the combination of the crop top with that skirt a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely poem; thank you for sharing it!

    I also love the color scheme of this outfit, and I cannot believe that isn't a crop top! So awesome!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  19. cute idea! love the look of that midi skirt :)
    xo jac
    thesunshinedistrict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous passage. I hadn't heard of him, but now I'm going to have to find more! And I think this is a new favourite outfit. The colours and proportions are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look impossibly adorable here :) Love this cardigan - such fun bright stripes!

    I hope this writer will be well worth of your precious heart... when he finds your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this outfit so much! And I know I say this every time, but I LOVE your hair like this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good call on the turtleneck tuck! I love the short top paired with the midi skirt and those stipes- oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all - I LOVE the writing that you posted here. It has an all-encompassing feel about it that I really like.
    Secondly, you look amazing in this outfit! I really like the sneaky bit of mid-section showing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>