Expectations in Denim Pinafores

May 7, 2014

maxi-pinafore-outfitdenim-pinafore-outfit-110detachable-peter-pan-collar

I've been thinking about the word "hope" a lot lately and its everyday appearances in my weeks. It usually stops by for tea on Wednesdays, or waves hello from the sidewalk as it takes its evening stroll passed my house. And it's nice that it likes to spend time with me so often, especially since my life reminds me of an unraveled ball of yarn- just a knotted, tangled mess. I have a lot going on and nothing going on all at once, and that makes for some hard small talk at dinner parties (enter blank blinks from both parties at the "so what do you do?" question.)

But even though I sometimes have moments where I glance out the window and catch myself thinking "God...but what am I doing?", most days I just know things are going to fall into place. Eventually. 

And the key is not to have only hope, but expectancy. Don't just hope the best will happen; have some confidence in the fates and goddamn expect it. Don't hope your life will be beautiful that day, or that you'll fall in love while crossing the street, or that you'll laugh at least six times before the evening news. Expect it.

Because if you do, all those things will come running to you, and they won't stop till they'll find you.

They're persistent like that, I've found.

denim-and-floral-outfit-124how-to-style-denim-pinafore-114


outfit-details copy
DRESS: Thrifted (similar: here and here)
SHIRT: c/o Honeymoon Muse (similar: here and here)
SHOES: Urban Outfitters (similar: here)
COLLAR: c/o Francey's Corner

Coffee
whhttt-vintage
Rebel-Closet
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

17 comments :

  1. super:)) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen (and liked) it before in one of your previous post, but I love the floral pattern of your shirt.

    ♥ Gita @ mimiandchichi.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great words of wisdom! I like it, expect good things to happen instead of just hoping :) I also like that adorable collar you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing way of thinking! I often find myself feeling the same way. Sort of stuck in the middle of overwhelming nothingness. It's comforting to see that somebody else is in the same spot, especially when they have such a great mindset about it. I try to be as positive as possible and hopeful about my station in life, even if it's a tad delusional or unrealistic because you never know what could be right around the corner! It could be everything! :-)
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. True dat girlfriend... dare to dream that your life will be different... the very definition of hope if the confident expectation that good is coming... :) And it is, it totally is..
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I die for those shoes!!!!!!!!!! Love a black strappy shoe!

    Stay Chic,
    Alicia
    Lattes & Lacee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how many unexpected outfits I find on here! So great! :) Always inspiring! In other news I am nominating you for the Sunshine Blogger Award... no pressure, but I just wanted you to know either way! Post & Info here: http://simplyalexandramyfavoritethings.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-sunshine-award.html

    -Alexandra
    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  8. That collar is amazing! I totally agree that having hope is great but keeping it is crucial also! I feel like when things aren't going totally perfect its to easy to give up sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute post! you are so right, sometimes my life feels like a total mess and hope that everything will fall into place is the only thing that keeps me standing. As always, I love your outfit :) super unique.
    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I think you just opened my eyes to how I should live my life haha. I'm going to try expecting instead of hoping now :) And that pinafore looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you spoke about not only hope but also expectancy. Too often I find myself focusing on only the hope part. But expecting something definitely helps make those hopes come true! <3

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your advice. It is important not just to hope for something, because when you expect it instead, it will push you to make sure things get done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your advice was amazing and much needed. I'm going to apply it every time I hope for something. Thank you!! And this look is flawless from head to toe, love it xx

    onacruz blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that -- you have to give hope that extra push. Will things into happening with expectation. I hope that I can...I EXPECT that I will get better at doing that. Thanks for this tidbit!

    Audrey
    www.lululinden.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel ya. This is where I'm at right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So true! I think expectancy makes things happen and gives you a whole new outlook and attitude.
    LOVE your lipstick. But then, when do I not?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think "hope but work for it" is a good principle. That seems to be what you're doing! & also, this strikes me as a very Marlen outfit & it makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>