Trying Out the Minimal Look

Apr 25, 2014

smock-dress-outfitgap-smock-dress

DRESS: Gap (on sale right now for $6!) (similar: here, here and here)
SHIRT: thrifted (similar: here and here)
SHOES: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage (similar: here and here)
BAG: American Eagle
SUNNIES: Gap
LIPSTICK: Revlon, Black Cherry

I know I say this all the time, but you all are so amazing. Thank you so, so, so much for all your lovely words and emails about the sneak peek to my book- you definitely made me feel a lot more confident that it's not just one giant ramble.  Now if only we can find a way to get into one giant group hug and I'd be happy :)

Now onto the fashion! I've mentioned how over the winter my style turned into a more "less is more" look, and now that it's finally spring I've been testing if that's actually true or not. Before I needed patterns, colors, and layers in all my outfits, but now all I want is a pretty smock dress and some fun sunnies. When I bought this simple Gap dress last weekend, I had in mind this experiment: I'll put on a few pieces that make me feel pretty, and call it a day. If I still felt stylish throughout the day, then maybe, just maybe, I really was crossing over into the minimalist dark side. So on Saturday the games began.

I put on this baggy smock dress, popped a chambray collar underneath, slipped into some darling New Old Fashion Vintage loafers, and grabbed a canvas bag before heading out the door. And you know what? I felt ah-dorable. The smock dress made me feel classic with its stripes, I loved the way my loafers tapped on the sidewalk as I strolled around in the sunshine, and I felt wonderfully farmers-market-y with my simple bag and round sunnies. It may be official, guys. Simple might really be best after all. 

And if you subscribe to that look as well, then I think you might really enjoy New Old Fashion Vintage. It's one of my favorite Etsy stores to shop through, by far. Amelia has an eye for feminine vintage dresses (hello 50's halter dresses!), full skirts, classic shoes, and fun summer accessories. Definitely check them out here, and bonus!, they have a $15 or below sale going on right now.

new-old-fashion-vintage-shoesstriped-dresssimple-stripe-dress-outfit

And here are some of my favorite picks from New Old Fashion Vintage to give you an idea what they have- how pretty are those suede peep toes?

selections


Coffee
southwest
tanaka
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

36 comments :

  1. Black/white stripes and enim? Perfect!! So effoerlessly cute! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned this baby before I even finished scrolling to the bottom. LOVE the simple stripes and chambray, and completely feel ya on less is more right now! Have a wonderful weekend :)
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, THIS is my favorite outfit. It's so simple and yet so chic. I love when shoes make that tapping noise when you walk. It makes me stand up straighter and somehow makes me more confident.

    And I'm also a fan of Revlon's Black Cherry. You are rocking the hell out of it in this outfit. It goes so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this look - the minimalism is really great!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, you would be ALL THE RAGE in this look in Finland! The dress looks very vintage Marimekko, and the way you've styled it is super cute!

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  6. a minimal look with maximum chic effect! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this look on you, Marlen! The layering is fab, as always, and you're totally rocking Black Cherry! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great:)) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh such a great look, sometimes simple is indeed the best!
    I love that etsy shop, they have so many cute things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I *love* that deep red lipstick, especially with the black and white stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. really love your hair and cute look! + your lipstick is to die for

    http://www.hippiegonemad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to be a minimalist. And stripes? Oh you can never go wrong. love this look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i absolutely am crushin' on this less is more look of yours. i def got into a bit more minimalist style these last few months myself as well. i think the chambray collar peeking under and the vintage shoes ads a lot and makes it very "you" while looking really chic and put together w/ the stripes. and ah, $15 sale. i'm off to look at that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it. Simple, clean and classic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok so this is the littlest detail of this post but black cherry by revlon is one of my go to lipsticks! I absolutely love it! & the name & the color. Anyways I'm just excited to see someone else rocking it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Lawd, you definitely look like you should be gracing the website of a Street Style blog. I like the minimal on you. Let's your adorable smile shine. :D

    love,
    a

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has to be my favorite outfit! I just love it! You look effortlessly cool with the striped dress, the dark lips, and big sunglasses. I'm definitely going to be pinning this because the outfit is incredible!

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. YOU ARE SO CUTE!
    Seriously, this is such a chic yet completely playful outfit! I adore the smock dress and your denim collar underneath :D

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  19. supeeer:)) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are most definitely rocking the minimalist look. That dark side isn't half bad! xx

    blancheneve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aaaaw, well of course we'll be supportive of your awesome writing, who wouldn't!
    You did a magnificent job at styling this, the whole ensemble is an awesome mix, looks so chilled.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this cute and simple look! And your red lips really put it together:) Also, congrats on your new book! I can only hope that I will be as successful in my blog as you are in yours.
    xo Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look totally chic in your minimal attire :) Aren't loafers so much fun to wear? I feel so sophisticated when I wear them haha. Yours are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't you just love days when you feel, to quote yours truly, "Ah-dorable?!" I'm totally digging this minimalist look you've been rocking as of late. It very much brings to mind french women and their style, a few great pieces can go a long way! Or even Miss Hepburn herself, she always had such a great classic style. Lovely look, Marlen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw, yeah you totally pull of the modern minimalism thing well! I don't think I could do it but it looks so adorable and effortless on you! I love the bold stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, you even make minimalist fun and interesting! You should definitely feel adorbs in this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. YOU ARE TOO ADORABLE. You manage to make minimalism interesting and unique, and that's definitely a skill. The loafers are perfection, and the dress just lovely. I have been meaning to read the sneak peek of your book as well; can't wait! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are looking cute!! The shoes are awesome. You look like an interesting minimalist to me. I can only say, once in a while can be refreshing trying to be someone else…lol. I just tried the other day and my boyfriend couldn't believe I was walking out without hat, rings AND purse. I felt naked.
    Carelia
    Mysmallwardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a simple classic dress it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now this is my kinda look - I love vintage but I am still very very minimal - scandi style is my fave and this look is perfect - I love those loafers! You can pull off anything xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such a cute outfit! I'm all for simple, so this outfit definitely has my heart (:

    ReplyDelete
  32. I haven't visited you in awhile so I had to catch up on all your posts... I love this casual look. It's super comfy looking but striking (bold stripes) at the same time. Loves it!
    xoxo
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this style for you, actually. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like this look. Great inspiration for layering.

    - Christina www.cityloveee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>