Stripes & Florals

Apr 4, 2014

dressed-in-the-dark-etsy-skirtdressed-in-the-darkdressed-in-the-dark-vintage

I was going to write this whole rambling, thinking thing today but then I stumbled upon this excerpt from Your Forces and How to Use Them and it just fit so perfectly in this spot inside me that I had to pass it onto you. So, this is for you:
“Promise yourself, to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet. To make all your friends feel that there is something in them. To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. To think only the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best. To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own. To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile. To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others. To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble. To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud words but great deeds. To live in faith that the whole world is on your side so long as you are true to the best that is in you.” - Christian D. Larson


dressed-in-the-dark-floral-skirt
dressed-in-the-dark-skirt

SKIRT: c/o Dressed in the Dark| SWEATER: Forever 21| SHIRT: thrifted| BOOTIES: Macy's

And on a more sartorial note, I knew this Dressed in the Dark skirt would become a fast favorite in my wardrobe. I can't stop reaching for it! The colors are so perfect for for my recent springy mood and the floral pattern is really fun to style.  Today I decided to go with a more demure look with a buttoned up chambray and a striped cardi (because who doesn't like florals and stripes together?)  And one of my favorite styling tips recently is to tuck in your thin cardis into your skirts, turning it into a vest slash blouse. I always had a bit of an issue with the proportions and lines that cardigans created when I wore them with skirts (I felt too fumpy in them) so tucking them in has been an amazing eye opener of sorts!

And Dressed in the Dark is a small Etsy boutique that is slowly stocking up all your summer staples under one roof. They've got floral skirts, sailor collar dresses, plaid numbers, and sassy vintage hats. And- bonus!- most dresses are in the $20 mark. If you feel like shopping, be sure to check them out here!

And here are some of my other favorite picks from Dressed in the Dark, to give you an idea what they have!:

dressed-in-the-dark-selections

ONETWO (only $30!)| THREE


Coffee
minnie
wildwood
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

24 comments :

  1. those are definitely some words to live by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh your skirt is just the loveliest! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't seem to pull that combo off--but it looks great on you!! Adorable! Also...what a great excerpt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled seeing that dress again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an amazing combo! I love the skirt and the lovely colors. The entire mix is perfect. You know I admire the way you layer and this is by far one of my favorite layered outfit from you. I know I know, I will probably say the same next time lol. I can't help it, you have skills girl.
    Carelia

    "Polka dots and wine" Blog post on:
    MySmallwardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That excerpt is really encouraging! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore this outfit. I love the trend of stripes with floral, it's definitely more of a trend this year!

    Julie,
    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. that excerpt is excellent. there is such power in positive thinking


    --Leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so in love with your skirt darling!
    Baci,
    Coco
    Coco et La vie en rose / Bloglovin / Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful quote- perfect way to start the weekend! Looking lovely, as always :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stripes and florals look wonderful together, especially the way you've styled it, thanks for sharing these great etsy stores x

    ReplyDelete

  12. That excerpt is perfect! Must save that for a later reminder :) I LOVE that skirt!! it's very pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh I love the print on that skirt and it has a nice structure to it. It will be perfect for spring and summer, and with you're layering skills I'll actually say it will be perfect year round!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gah! I love mixing prints! That skirt is amazing.... how the heck do you tuck two tops into that skirt? You must be a wizard.
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love how you tucked the cardigan, it is a new thing to me. And your hair has grown! It looks lovely xx

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Madly in love with you skirt! Soo pretty, Marlen! xx

    blancheneve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is the cutest skirt! I love how you styled it <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. This skirt certainly is super lovely!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful quote, definitely a breathe of fresh air in such a cynical world. Great skirt! I'd totally wear that in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one pretty outfit, I really like your skirt, the print is just right, I can`t help but love a good floral print, also you look lovely!
    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>