Fun Layering Ideas for Boring Pieces

Apr 28, 2014

floral-spring-outfit
lace-and-floral-outfitvest-layering-ideas

SWEATER: H&M (similar: here and here)
SHIRT: c/o La Meow Vintage (similar: here)
SKIRT: H&M
BOOTIES: Macy's
BELT: Calvin Klein, thrifted (similar: here and here)
LIPSTICK: Revlon, Black Cherry

Remember when I said I was forcing myself to play with my sweaters before it was time to swap them out for summer dresses? Well here's another attempt at that. This floral sweater was a favorite back in my college years, but now I find myself reaching for it less and less. And there's no real reason for my disinterest- I just always go meh when I thumb the sleeve and try to convince myself to style it. It's still a pretty piece though, which is why it keeps making the cut whenever I prune my closet. But in an attempt to give it some more air time, I spent some time today whipping up looks that include this floral number. 

This one is my favorite one, where I popped a sleeveless lace blouse on top, transforming the blouse into a vest of sorts. I really like how the two tops look like one, and to make it look more cohesive I put a belt on top to tie it all together and create some lines. I find that sometimes putting a belt on top of a shirt makes all the difference in creating a pretty silhouette. This outfit would look slightly different if I chose to tuck in the top and then belt the skirt. It's little tweaks like that that make me excited about styling, haha! And I'm telling you, sleeveless shirts in your closet are a powerful thing! They help transform boring sweaters and give new life to patterned tops. 

lace-spring-outfit
lace-and-floral-lookspring-layering-ideas

And here is how I styled this lace top previously, to give you an idea how else to style those sleeveless tops!

La-Meow-Vintage-Top


Coffee
silver
vintage-griffin
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

33 comments :

  1. I really love the muted colors in this outfit! Everything goes together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I love the layering you've done with this sweater! It looks great with the stripes and the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore that sleeveless lace top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the way you've style that blouse in both those outfits, that is such a great idea! It totally adds another element of interest to your outfit.
    Nic
    www.salvageandstoneblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspirational! The sweater is of course not even close to boring. :) But I understand your point, we do get bored even with pretty and exciting pieces... You make it look so fun, I want to jump to my closet and start playing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey wait a minute, I have a sweater like that :)! Now I know how to layer it, thanks missy :)! Looking fab, btw :).

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the floral sweater was the highlight of this post (well, how to rework it), but I can't get over that lacy sleeveless tank. I need one of those in my life.

    Audrey
    www.lululinden.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That lace top is simply perfect in that look! And your haircut is marvellous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like these pieces together! A nice combination of textures, and perfect for early spring.

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have lovely legs! love love the flowery "sleeves". you are so good with layering

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both combinations! You're the master of layering! :D Really great!

    xo Sonja
    www.redsonjafashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this. Something about the leather belt against the lace just really makes it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the old school vibe of your blog! Adorable looks! Look forward to more...
    Www.simpleaesthtic.com
    X,
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are always amazing at making unlikely pieces go together beautifully! love how you styled the lace in both outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The lace and floral layering is perfection! Killing it, as always, Marlen! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It almost works as a vest! Love the versatile lace top and the 2-way layering you did there:) Hope you have a great week!
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that first outfit!! Then again, I'm a sucker for lace and floral...

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a masterpiece of an outfit :) I'm thinking I need more sleeveless tops in my wardrobe now haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also really like this outfit. So springy, and paying attention to the details pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love these combos! I would never have thought of that! :) -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool layering! Lovely inspo!
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing. I always think of you for examples of good layering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this made me *ridiculously* happy, haha thank you!!

      Delete
  23. You did such a good job layering, it all goes together so well!

    Have a fantastic day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this. You look so timeless! That lipstick is just gorgeous. I love the stripes on that dress, and it is my favourite shade of blue x

    Cory
    Blog: http://cranberrydeer.blogspot.com.au/
    Graphics Store: http://frecklesandhedgehogs.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look great in this outfit!
    nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's become a whooolleee neewww thing!I love the belt against the lace, just like Kristian said. Something about breaking the monotony of white with the perfect leathery color of a belt it awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this look; I get it, that you're somewhat bored of thatfloral blouse, but I,personally think that none of thesepieces are really boring...^^

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmmm...I never really layer sleeveless tops over short/long sleeve tops and dresses. Maybe I'll give this a try. Your lace top seems to be really versatile for this kind of layering.

    Chrissi
    fieryfinishvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the lace top! The outfit is so pretty and your hair looks amazing! This hairstyle really suits you perfectly. :D

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Genius! You just gave me an idea for a very ugly sweater I own, which I was thinking of removing. Now I'm planning to layer it and see where it leads me :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>