Duster Vests

Apr 2, 2014

fight-for-flight-etsyfight-for-flight-midi-dressfight-for-flight-vintage

So as you know, I got a thing for vests. They're probably my most favorite layering piece- there's just so much you can do with them! And they're just the thing for summer when it's too hot to layer on sleeves and all that good stuff. So you can only imagine my excitement when I started seeing these long, housecoat looking vests starting to crop up around the street style blogs- finally something that isn't your usual denim or cargo variety!  The length of it is a bit of a statement, but it'd be so well balanced with a short summer frock or classed up with some high waist jeans. These two photos in particular absolutely sold me on the idea:

2


3


This piece would instantly make an outfit interesting and with not much effort (which is always a win!) And so the hunt was on. But the hunt didn't last very long because no one- and I mean no one- was selling these. The closest thing I've found were summer kimonos or crochet vests, and that's obviously way off the mark. But feeling determined to own one of these bad boys, I decided to get crafty and make my own. Part of the appeal of these vests for me is that they look like coats- I really like the sharp lapels and the structured feel to the shape. So I went to a thrift store and hunted up a long, structured winter coat and took some scissors to it. All I had to do was snip off the sleeves and- voila- my own fancy vest for only $6! I really like how it turned out and now I kind of want to do the same thing to a trench, too- I'll definitely be thrifting more this month ;) 

And this was just the right touch to my sunflower dress from Fight for Flight Vintage.  I love the easy summer vibe this denim and floral dress gives off, and because of it I don't really want to style it up to the nines. It'd ruin the whole mood of it, so I wanted to only add minimal, easy layers. I think the duster vest was just the perfect touch (and I like how it's longer than the hem of the midi dress), and I added a touch of modernity to the look with cut-out heels and socks. I really like shopping at Fight for Flight Vintage because of the lady behind it- Becca. She genuinely loves fashion and vintage and wants to share that love with all the other gals around her. She chooses each piece she sells because of its styling potential and likes to think of the girl she knows will rock that piece and make it her own. And right now she's offering 20% off with code BIRTHDAY20 so if you're in a browsing mood be sure to say hello!

fight-for-flight-sunflower-printfight-for-flight-dress

DRESS: c/o Fight for Flight Vintage| VEST: thrifted| BELT: thrifted| SHOES: Urban Outfitters (recent!)| SOCKS: H&M men's

And here are some of my favorite picks from Fight for Flight- how dreamy is that tulle dress?!

fight-for-flight-items

ONE| TWO| THREE

Coffee
bottle-blonde
sarara-vintage
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

18 comments :

  1. Vests are really fun for layering and adding depth to an outfit. I have a few that I should really probably wear more
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this dramatic duster vest is perfect! I love the boldness of it :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these are the coolest vests ever! I love your idea of making your own, too. Smart thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a vest like this before, it's a unique piece for sure! I love the skirt too with the flowers on.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO cute, but I also really love your skirt!

    www.lavishingg.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love (love, love) that you made your own because you couldn't find one! Bravo, I think it turned out so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's innovation--just cut the sleeves!! Way easier than trying to start from scratch in making one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it! super cool idea to just use a coat!!


    --Leeds
    At This Volume

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look marvelous in your vest! I love it! It's like a summer time Sherlock mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice vest! Love this idea!
    http://www.fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a really hard time styling vests. Can't believe what magic you can do with yours! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so going to be thrifting this week to make a duster vest of my own :)
    Probably be too scared to wear it though!

    Gems x
    Fashion, Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute outfit (: and it looks so good with your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm so impressed that you decided to just make one yourself, turned out great! i also love your throwback sunflower maxi :)
    xo jac
    thesunshinedistrict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love vests and yours is wonderful.
    I really like how you've styled it with that
    lovely dress and these pretty shoes. :)

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this vest and it looks perfect on you! you look so gorgeous <3

    xoxo

    http://thestylemaze.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks awesome! I agree with Danielle's comment =D

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>