Little Moments, Little Things

Mar 12, 2014

wellies-with-skirtshow-to-dress-up-rain-bootswellies-with-dresses

SWEATER: thrifted
HAT: Urban Outfitters
SKIRT: H&M
BOOTS: c/o Joules

This week I seem to be thinking of the little things. Yesterday I was wrapped up in ideas of what I was missing by only going through a day once, and today I'm stuck on the little nuances that make people oh so beautiful. The little moments they go through that make me want to frame their face and happily kiss them square on the mouth. I think this unknown author says it best:
I think I fall a little in love with people when I catch them in small moments, when they think no one’s looking at them, when they absently twirl a strand of hair between their fingers, when they lick their thumb to turn a page in a book. There’s something beautiful about a person who is lost in a thought, or adjusting their shirt, or is scratching a phantom itch on their arm, or even someone who is looking at someone else like I am looking at them.
It's so easy not to look at the details, but I think there's such sweetness in them. I love the way my date fidgets with his sweater button as he talks to me, or the way my mom slings the dishtowel over her shoulder as she stands by the stove. I love the way my friend always loops his arm through mine as we walk down the sidewalk or the way she asks if I want a coffee even when I'm already holding a cup. Little moments, but a whole lotta amazing.

striped-wellieswellies

And while we're falling in love with the people in our lives all over again, let's talk about my killer rain boots. I've lived in Seattle and the tundra that is Chicago and I somehow never owned proper boots. I just went out and battled the elements in my tattered leather boots, cringing as the snow weaseled its way through the holes and into my socks. So when I saw these striped ones from Joules I instantly made them mine. I've been seeing bloggers looking adorable in their wellies and I wanted to join in on the fun! And let me tell you, it's a great feeling walking through a foot of snow and not having anything cold seep through. They definitely did the trick. My favorite detail is the little gold buckle on the side- I feel so chic in them and I'll never have to go home with wet socks again ;)

And bonus- these are on sale now!

how-to-style-wellies

Coffee
bon-marche-couture
sold-for-ransom
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

31 comments :

  1. I'm feeling your little pop of eccentricity today. I wouldn't have expected these boots with this outfit, but I love everything about it. Ditto on your writing. I come to this blog for your thoughts as much as your fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you wrote about the little moments, observing people when they think no one is watching (in a totally not creepy way) can be truly beautiful. Also, I am still obsessed with all your sweaters, and how you layer them. So cute, and looks so cozy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, how did you ever survive a spring before?!? I remember those days sans my wellies. Good-bye, soaking wet feet and water damaged shoes! You boots are perfect too, I love brightness on rainy days. Makes the normally grey day a bit happier! And am I ever envious of your beautiful skirt! I've been on the hunt for a skirt in that exact shade (sort of a staple, no?), but to no avail. Insert sad face here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those boots are killer alright! :D So much win! I love your awesome skirt too and the way you layered the sweaters! ^_^ The white chunky knit is stunning!

    I love to stare at people. I'm kind of creepy, even :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the little things people do are the best! Glad you finally got a pair of boots- they're adorable!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you paired the caramel-y brown skirt with black+white+magenta rain boots - such a cool combination!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC and Bloglovin'? Let me know! :)
    ♥ vivian | seattleite fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. You look incredible :) I'm crazy about your hats and skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i really love this outfit, the jumper+skirt topped off with the hat and the wellies is just a really lovely combination! and i've always liked that quote:-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello darling! you look absolutely gorgeous! I like the mix of white and brown, they two together look so awesome, and in your version it even looks greater because they come in different textures. <3 xoxo
    www.stylehenge.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, living in the little moments can be a beautiful thing! And speaking of beautiful, those are the best rain boots ever! Killer lipstick too :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smiling about this post a lot :) Also smiling about the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got a pair of wellies a couple years back and I absolutely adore them. Although mine have been consigned to dog walking and other unglamorous tasks because my evil dogs ate big chunks out of the tops of the boots! So they are kind of not so "cute" anymore. But ... yours are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable wellies indeed. This is a fun outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again, you slay me with your writing prowess. I believe I've heard that quote somewhere before, but when you shared your own twist to it, it became even more real.

    also, THOSE BOOTS, honey,

    love,
    a

    www,missdecaf,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was scrolling down thinking cute outfit and then BAM- super cute boots making it even cuter! I lived in Oregon until I was 23 and never owned rain boots until living in PHX, haha! Also, I must say it again- you are a great writer and I think seeing these daily nuances is key to that. Can't wait for your book! Have you looked into writing for Thought Catalog? They published my friend's book- not sure what the process is...

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice rain boots! I would love the rain a lot more if I had a cute pair like yours!
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like that quote - I think when I catch a glimpse of people being, well, human I start to really appreciate at them more. It's interesting how it's the little things that you end up remembering and appreciating about people.

    On a sartorial note, I really love this layered look! Those boots are absolutely perfect (and practical)!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are great rain boots! I have some in white and black polkadot. They should hang out!
    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That skirt is from H&M? I thought it was vintage! I swear you find the coolest things.

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those little, fleeting moments are beautiful, and they really "get" me. I love looking at people and tracing their quirks of movement, a particular way they talk, or some detail. I try to capture these moments in my journal or writing, but very often, words just don't do it justice.

    Brittney

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a cute look! the boots are adorable and the whole mix a beauty!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gotta live for the little moments! These wellies are to die for! The only proper pair I've ever owned were when I was about 3. They are actual Wellingtons and look like frogs, and while I still have them, it's safe to say that they definitely don't fit. I've battled the elements in my step-mom's riding boots from the 1970s. Super uncomfy and tough to walk in, but they work… though I'd love a cute pair with cupcakes and sparkles and such…
    : signe : the daily savant :
    : blogspot
    : bloglovin
    Enter the JuicyCanvas giveaway : HERE :

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous outfit, your jumper looks incredibly comfortable! :)

    Hayfa
    http://www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice:)) and BIG GIVEAWAY on my blog-> http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/2014/03/giveaway_12.html x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  25. love your hat and skirt! you look gorgeous <3

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's definitely a magical thing if you can notice the small little things that people do everyday and appreciate them. I love the little details that make up a person an their characteristics :)
    Anyway, also loving the rain boots! How adorable are those??

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  27. The hat! I love it - your layering continues to amaze me!! So effortlessly gorgeous, I love layering and you can sure do it! I love everything about this look. The Joules boots are amazing, I love my Hunter wellies, especially in the snow.

    p.s - the little moments are always the best - little things make me so happy!

    Lucy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm going to keep my eyes out for all the little things I love about the people in my life, and write them down! I love this whole look, too. You look adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>