Pop That Collar

Feb 5, 2014

franceys-cornerfranceys-corner-etsy

COLLAR: c/o Francey's Corner (the same black one here)
TURTLENECK: Banana Republic (similar: here and here)
SKIRT: c/o Whhttt Vintage (similar: here (only $13!), here (only $15!), here, and here)
VEST: Urban Outfitters (similar: herehere, here, here, and here)
BOOTIES: Macy's (similar: here)

Yesterday I saw this lovely picture on Pinterest of a yellow fire-hydrant (bare with me) with the words scrawled in white paint "love was found here".  And I had to take a moment to prop my elbow on the table, put my chin in my palm, and stare out the window dreamily. Can you imagine if moments like that were earmarked and labeled all over the city? It'd be like the sweet carvings of hearts and initials into old trees, just with more of a story. How many moments would we find? "First kiss" on a park bench, "first fight" in the couch section of Ikea, "first spark" by the parking meter outside a bar, "last heart break" outside the lobby of someone's apartment, "first time I trusted her" on the pier in the lake, "first time I made him laugh" by the stop sign on the cross walk. It'd be like the pushpins on a map, just instead of towns we'd be tagging memories. It makes you want to look at the spot you're standing in a little harder, and makes you conscious for the first time of all the stories that have been overlapping each other over the years and years, like voices in a crowd that mixed and mingled in a whispered conversation we didn't realize was happening.

And that made me think, do I remember where all my stories happened? Do you? If you have a favorite one, share it in the comments!

franceys-corner-collar

As for the outfit, this one is one of my favorites! I love the simplicity of it, and I love how the detachable collar added that flair of interest to it. It was just the right detail for taking it from prim to just a little bit quirky. I got this awesome collar from Francey's Corner, which also has quite a few patterned ones too if you're looking for a bolder statement! As for the layering in this outfit, the checkered vest is actually a mini dress, and I just slipped my maxi skirt over it to give it a vest-like feel. If I said it before I'll say it again- sleeveless dresses are the best. 

franceys-corner-etsy-collar

And to give you an idea of what else Francey's Corner has in stock, here are some pretty picks from their shelves! As you can see they have patterned collars, basic collars, and ribboned or un-ribboned ones. You can't go wrong!

collar-selection


Coffee
shop-vtg-minnie

deja-vintage
Dividers


______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

18 comments :

  1. What a beautiful thought! Now I'm staring dreamily out of my window, thinking about where my push pins are, all over the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are adorable! I love your style, and that collar - so cute!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your over-sized collar is just the most darling thing (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this - as I do most things - compulsively. I have an eidetic memory, so I doubt I could stop even if I wanted to. Sometimes all it takes is the refrain of a song or a certain angle of the sun. I still remember the exact bench we were sitting on when my partner and I became official.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweet meandering made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be very interesting indeed. It would be pretty cool to see though! I love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of just instantly adding a collar to anything! It's like the cherry on top, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww that would be so cute! I don't remember where all of my stories took place but my first date with my boyfriend took place at the Louvre. I also remember that the first time we ever hung out by ourselves was at the Galeries Lafayette in top floor which has one of the best views of Paris. I really enjoyed this post and of course your outfit. :-)

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That skirt! Love it! Looks great with that cute plaid blouse!

    xo Sonja
    www.redsonjafashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I wish the city was marked like that. i LOVE that idea!!
    Also, LOVE your outfit, this is the perfect layered look. I am totally digging your hair like this too
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely outfit! Your skirt is simply wonderful! :)

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok I ALWAYS pop my collar just to add a little, you know! And I always have at least one person come and fold it down during the day.
    Lisa | c/oMKE

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the skirt! Great outfit overall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable! I absolutely LOVE your hair cut/color, too!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoops! Marlen I totally just deleted your comment on accident : / Thanks for appreciating my scarf though. :) -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in love with your style !! Very original and retro (just as I like )
    xo Gabi
    http://kontempluj.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>