Jewels & Poetry

Feb 3, 2014

ellen-face-etsy ellen-face-vintage-blazer ellen-face-vintage

HAT: H&M (similar: here and here and here)
BLAZER: c/o Ellenface Vintage (similar: here (in maroon) and here (in black))
DRESS: Zara (similar: here and here (in grey) and here)
TURTLENECK: Banana Republic (similar: here and here)
BOOTIES: Macy's  (similar: here)

You know when you sometimes read something absently- just skim your glance over a string of words the same way you flick through faces in a crowd-  and not even realize you've done it? But then, somehow without your say-so, it starts to stick. It gets filed away back there with the rest of the trifling things you saw that Tuesday, but this one thing starts to stick. And it grows roots. And then the words move from something chance-like and fleeting and into something deliberate and living- like the two of you were very much meant to meet and it was all serendipitous and intentional. It moves from something abstract into something breathing. It becomes apart of you, and just like a person, this little snippet of writing starts to change you.

That's what this random quote I read about a year ago did to me a few days back. The little scamp snuck up on me. I remembered reading something months and months ago that Janet Fitch wrote, and yesterday when I found myself standing in front of a shelf of Shakespeare in Barnes & Noble her words came floating back to me:
“Always learn poems by heart. They have to become the marrow in your bones. Like fluoride in the water, they'll make your soul impervious to the world's soft decay.”
How dreamy is that? Poetry can be your shield- something so soft and graceful can be your iron fists against all that's bad. Sweetness beats bite. Paper beats rock. 

And so I'm suiting up with a Midsummer Night's Dream, armoring myself with longing hearts and fairy spells, at least for the time being.

How about you? Have you ever loved a written line so much that you had to put it to memory?

ELLEN-face-vintage-blazer-etsyellen-face-vintage-etsy

And on a more sartorial but equally dreamy note, let's talk about all these jewel tones I have going on! I'll say it once but I'll say it again: vintage for the win. I remembered seeing a rust colored, crushed velvet blazer in J Crew for $100+ a few months back, and thumbing the pretty sleeve sadly, I forced myself to back away before I did any real damage to my bank account.  And then lo and behold, Ellenface Vintage has something identical for a fraction of the cost! And I mean a fraction- the whole store is crazy reasonably priced, where a bulk of the pieces hover around the $10 mark and a few barely make it over the $20 price tag. If you want to treat yourself but don't want buyer's guilt, I definitely recommend cruising through their shop here!

ellen-face ellen-face-velvet-blazer

And to give you an idea of the some of the items Ellenface Vintage carries, here are some of my favorites. A girl can never have too many plaid midis, amiright?

Ellen-face

Coffee
tanaka
new-old
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

29 comments :

  1. Nice:)) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving these colors, especially that of your dress. I've been really into jewel toned greens lately. And this happens to me a lot with music lyrics.. I will randomly think of a line from a song that happens to resonate well with me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great look! love the color and texture.
    Marie @
    In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this simple little black dress. and i like the bit of a drop waist on it.

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The brain is such an amazing instrument that way. Or I like how when you see something, pay no attention to it and then remember it days or weeks later. I love the color of that blazer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely loving that blazer..the color is just perfect. And that quote...so beautiful. Crazy how something stick and just resonate within your soul! I have definitely had moments like that....and I always find them so interesting and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute and lovely look!
    The hat is absolutely great :)

    http://coco-colo.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look adorable. What a great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your dress! and the whole outfit is very lovely, especially colour-wise:-) and that quote is wonderful, i wish i knew more poetry by heart, but i usually just remember a line/sentence or two.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the what? I LOVE this look!!! Girl friend.. you are rockin this mini dress like you were made for it... slam dunk... seriously... gorgeous..
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great dress from Zara it looks great on you. mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, aren't you cute as a button! love your style and your mix of colors is superb.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my favorite look of yours. I seriously love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This look is adorable from head to toe. You find the best hats! I'm sorta jealous because I struggle finding hats that fit my big head. lol

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. this outfit is so MAGICAL and I would love to steal it from you and take it for a spin on the city~ or on the campus~ but yes, I love the turtleneck and blazer style. It's very English teacher-chic, wahaha!

    erg, I love reading things and highlighting things to revisit them... I keep a pen at my side when I read for fun so I can underline the things that resonate with me, so I know that feeling. Words can be so absolutely magical. u ____u

    ReplyDelete
  16. We performed Midsummer's Night Dream in high school (due to a dearth of guys I played a fairy who had many of Oberon's lines but was a girl...) and I literally was having dreams in iambic pentameter. Mmmm, I've always loved memorizing poems and such though. Probably partly doing a lot of plays growing up and partly a fourth grade teacher who gave out awards for memorized poetry. My favorite one to say though is still Blake's Tyger.

    Also- that is the most darling little hat on you and compliments the new hairstyle well!

    Oh, what lovely sentiments though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know just what you mean. I sometimes remember the most random things suddenly and I just can't shake it off for the rest of the day. This is such a beautiful quote. I never really thought about poetry like that but I think I think about this the next time I pick up some Pablo Neruda.

    And wow, I am so loving the color palette here - Such deep and rich colors working harmoniously together! You look lovely!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the colors of this! They're so rich and gorgeous. You always have the best layered looks, too. I love the socks with the boots! :) And gotta love Shakespeare. I was in A Midsummer Night's Dream in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, that really is a beautiful line. There are a few quotes that I've learned along the way, but nothing like that. I love it!
    Great jewel tones too, that emerald shade is something I keep meaning to add to my closet <3

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  20. This might be one of my favorites of your looks! Smart and playful at once, and the hat looks darling with your hair.

    That quote speaks beautifully of why we make art and why we absorb it. I love that you're reading Midsummer - it was my favorite Shakespeare for years and I have many of the lines committed to fond memory. I got to costume an outdoor production of it a couple of years ago, which was a dream come true.

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blazer!
    And that 1970s plaid skirt - I'd love to wear that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't tend to think of vintage clothes really being great deals....possible because I mostly only look at and long for the super gorgeous formal dresses that are rather pricey...but that is a great find and way cheaper than the J.Crew version!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what a beautiful quote! I'm a lover of poetry, so am keen on the idea of it acting as a barrier to life's stresors. Thanks for sharing! Loving the outfit here too- that blazer is ultra nice and I'm liking the lipstick choice! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so very beatnik! Love your hair and lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The jewel tones look fabulous on you...especially with that lovely snowy backdrop behind you.

    I find that I'm loving inspirational quotes so much these days, and thanks to Pinterest, I can actually remember and come back to them later.

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that you've been amping up your own writing lately. This post is an example of something that makes me think and smile--and not just at the dress shape!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>