Gingham & Turtlenecks

Feb 20, 2014

wildwood-vintage-dress-etsywildwood-vintage-gingham-dressWILDWOOD-VINTAGE-PLAID-DRESS

HAT: Urban Outfitters
DRESS: c/o Wildwood Vintage
TURTLENECK: c/o Voyeur Vintage
JACKET: J Crew
BOOTS: Macy's

This whole week has been me holed up in the library with cups of mediocre coffee, typing away and hoping that one day my name will be on the shelves, too. The reason being? I'm finally writing my book! 

It getting published is a whole other story, but about a month ago I sat down at my laptop and the white, blank Word page didn't seem as intimidating as it used to. It seemed...slayable. Before I'd stare at that blinking vertical bar, developing an eye twitch that'd go in time with it, watching it taunt me. But this time around I just sat down at my desk, stretched as if going in for the long haul, and started typing. And somehow kept on typing. Now I'm just waiting for the magic to wear off, haha (eek).

Now if only I can somehow convince my mom I'm actually working and not moodily journal writing all day...

wildwood-vintage-etsywildwood-vintage-dress

And here's that Wildwood Vintage dress again! This time around I decided to amp it up with a bit of color and added in a splash of mustard in the form of a turtleneck. I've really been digging how turtlenecks look like with dresses this year- they just add in this coziness factor. 

And Wildwood Vintage is a super feminine, super whimsical boutique on Etsy. Freshta has a penchant for floral dresses, 60's shifts, and full skirts, so she stocks her shelves full with those adorable pieces. Everything is super reasonably priced, ranging from $10-$30, so if you find your style leaning more towards the sweet and girly side, this is definitely the place for you! Be sure to stop in and say hello here :)

wildwood-vintage-etsy-dress

And here are some sweet picks from Wildwood Vintage- I love the Parisian vibe of that striped blouse!

wildwood-selections


Coffee
silver-sillhoette
shop-vintage-minnie
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

29 comments :

  1. Ah, that's so exciting that you're writing a book! You'll have to keep us posted on the progress :)

    I love both ways you've styled this dress, but I absolutely love the bit of mustard peeking out here! I'm a sucker for black, white, and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your book! The dress is lovely and the jacket is really adorable :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's your book going to be about? :)
    By the way I really like the way you layered your outfit in this post, each piece works perfectly together.
    xoxo
    Sierra Calah ♥ Berry Stylish  

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! I'm so happy for you, truly. I think you have an immense amount of talent! Whatever you write, you've got one loyal reader already :)

    And I've been totally digging your looks lately! They're a perfect mix of classic and casual pieces. This dress is a gem and I can't wait to see how to style it in the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on beginning to write your book! I know from experience that it can be really difficult to get started on a project like that, so I'm so happy for you that you have started it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, good luck with your writing! can't wait to go and buy your book once it's out;-) and that dress looks lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so exciting! Congrats! I hope that it all goes well for you. I think the writing is actually the hardest part. Good for you! I love the gingham dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this look and I need that jacket! You look amazing!

    Thanks for the lovely comment!

    www.stylecastle.co.uk

    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. How thrilling! I am super excited for you and your writing. Do not let anything distract or hinder you from your goal. You are so capable, do not forget that. Keep writing forever.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really exciting news about the book! Mine's out with a publisher right now so I know what an accomplishment it is. And, as a side note, I love that J Crew coat.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you layer! YOu should consider doing a "how to layer" post.

    That hat is adorable!

    Tiffany Ima
    Style Honestly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous - love the hat and polo! Been looking for a belt like this also!

    Have a lovely day,

    Lucy xxx
    Florals & Corals

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dress is lovely!

    Well done for working on your book! What's the topic and how long are you aiming for?

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so exciting! You will be a fantastic writer; good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so cool you are writing a book!! :D I love the dress, gingham is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this! Am I correct in assuming that the dress is really a summer dress that you re-purposed with the turtleneck addition? I gotta try that out. So many of my dresses are sadly hanging idle in my closet because it's still too cold to bust 'em out.

    BTW - I love your blog and have started following you on Bloglovin. Feel free to follow back if you'd like ;).

    -Gita
    www.mimiandchichi.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome outfit and super cool pics
    Good job! :)

    http://heyhadrien.blogspot.com/2014/02/white-walls.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhhhh oh em gee Marlen! Go you! What are you writing about, if you'd care to divulge? I started working on a manuscript last year but haven't touched it since. I keep waiting for that 'perfect' moment to type away. You know when you have the house all to yourself and a huge cozy couch and throw with rain pattering outside...

    Sigh, rub off some of that motivating magic on me please!
    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeaaaaah! GO MARLEN!
    Keep slaying those blank pages like you do outfits and you're going to be published in no time ;)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  20. that dress is the cutest! definitely checking out her shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so cool that you are writing a book! I get a lot of anxiety about writing so I really admire people like you who like writing and are good at it. I like this mostly monochrome look on you and mustard was a great choice for your pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Obsessed with this! That dress is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whaaat- that's awesome, Marlen! Starting seems like it would be the hardest part, but since you've already done that...wishing you the best of luck. Can't wait to [hopefully] get to read it?

    One more thing- I finally went thrifting today for the first time in a while...I saw SO many things that made me think of you. Items where I was like, oh, this is interesting. Uhh, maybe not my style. This looks like...something Marlen would wear. Just had to let you know :)

    ♥ perfectly PRIYA

    ReplyDelete
  24. How exciting! :D I can't wait to see the finished product. Also your outfit is great. Love the jacket!

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. okay. that dress is PERFECT. also, congrats on starting your book! thats great news!!!!


    --Leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh how exciting that you're writing a book!!!! Good luck! Also, I'm totally obsessed with this gingham number. So cute!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are an inspiration to me! I've had so many ideas floating around for years, and while I've written things down here and there, I have yet to actually start my own book. I love writing, but I often forget that you have the power to go back and change things. I tend to write in a way that basically skips over a rough draft, but I'm learning that it's okay for things to be rough!

    I can't wait to hear more about your book! :D

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>