Bright, Floral Shirts for the Win!

Feb 6, 2014

honeymoon-muse-6honeymoon-muse-1honeymoon-muse-3

SHIRT: c/o Honeymoon Muse (similar: here and here)
SKIRT: H&M (similar: herehere (only $13!), here (only $15!), and here
TURTLENECK: Zara
TIGHTS: Forever 21
BOOTIES: Macy's (similar: here)

So I read an interesting tidbit yesterday, and it goes something like, "Don't do what you want. Do what you don't want. Do what you're trained not to want."

And it kind of blew my mind. I don't know about you but I was under the impression that I was supposed to throw all caution to the wind and just do what I want when I wanted, or at least strive to. That's at least what tumblr keeps telling me. But to take a moment to think about the other side of the coin- the things I haven't been wanting to do- and the reasons behind them is really telling.  They're either too challenging, too vulnerable, or too time consuming. They're bad ideas. They most likely won't work. 

 Most of my "nos" are nos because they're risky business. It's hard stuff, challenging stuff, stuff that will make you grow whether you win or lose. And growth is a scary, messy business. An uncomfortable business.

So now the question is, do I have guts or do I have guts? Erm, let me get back to you on that one, haha.

honeymoon-muse-4honeymoon-muse-2

And this Honeymoon Muse blouse is quickly becoming the star of my closet. How is a normal floral top THIS amazing? I wore it the first time in this post and mentioned Honeymoon Muse is a boutique chock-full of vintage clothing, shoes and accessories curated for the vintage junkies and the fashion mavericks. It's stocked mostly with 80s and 90s vintage with an emphasis on club kid, goth, grunge, and avant garde clothing, so it's got a little summin' summin' for everyone. And I give you one tip this winter it's get colored or patterned turtlenecks. This outfit wouldn't be the same without this checkered Zara one :)

honeymoon-muse-5

How I wore the top last time:

moonchild-vintage

And for your browsing pleasure, here are some of my favorite picks from Honeymoon Muse- that red maxi skirt is only $18 and the floral one is $23!

selections-1


Coffee
cut-and-chic
height-of-vintage
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

27 comments :

  1. You look beautiful! That top is definitely amazing and I'm glad you shared this awesome store :) Your words are also incredibly inspiring and are causing me to reflect on my life at the moment haha. Thanks for sharing :)

    xo www.inventedromance.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I just discover your blog by Chictopia. I really love it. Your photos are great and your retro inspired looks :) I will follow youuu
    Greets from Montreal
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely outfit - that top is so pretty! :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote has kind of blown my mind too and got me really thinking!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love this top, it is definitely amazing! I love how you have styled it in both pictures.
    Love your blog, it's gorg!

    xo
    Chantalle
    ceceandgrace.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never think to mix the turtleneck with the floral sweater but you pull it off so well! and I love the variation in skirts!
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, oh man. I love this look! Perfect blouse, by the way. It truly is a win. :)

    and BANGS? I love. :D

    love,
    a

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A different undershirt creating a different neckline makes that floral shirt a lot more versatile than I'd thought it could be. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, loving those bright, cheery florals on you! Killer red lip too ;) Have a great weekend! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you mixed prints. From what I can see the Zara turtleneck looks amazing. Great outfit as usual! :-)

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your outfit looks really cool, something vintage about it and it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup, bright floral prints for the win! Especially when paired with a bright green skirt against a dreary, snowy background :)
    Way to brighten things up Marlen!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blouse is da bomb, I can see why it's becoming the star of your closet, it's amazing. And that is a very interesting tidbit, me likey
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your hair has gotten a lot longer since last time, geez it's been a while!
    Glad to see you're still dressing as cute and stylish as always! I love that bright floral shirt and I totally appreciate that you're a fellow H&M junkie! I love that store. Cute and affordable clothes! :)

    -Minda
    http://northwestdressed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when an item of clothing is super versatile like that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this floral blouse! The colours are especially pretty x

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a very interesting quote. I like quotes that, when I read them, they make me think for a minute. I love the blouse! Hopefully it brings spring sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the shirt. So bright and alive. Just love it.

    Joana x When You Dream Big

    ReplyDelete
  19. This floral top looks awesome with everything! I think I need a red floral something in my life because you make it work with all sorts of things. I also love the pattern of your turtleneck underneath it. So cool. So so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm. Definitely food for thought. Also, I love the triangle-y collar next to the bright florals!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I keep meaning to respond to this, because I love what you wrote! "Do what you're trained not to want." I've recently begun to realize that there are many things I automatically write off of my mental list of wants and to-do's because I deem they're not practical, interesting, or "for me," based on a set of rules I've never deeply questioned.

    Thanks again for sharing your musings! :)

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
  22. That shirt is just so adorable! I really love the pattern!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>