80's Jean Jackets

Feb 18, 2014

trixy-cat-8trixy-cat-3

COAT: c/o Trixy Cat Vintage
SWEATER: thrifted
SHORTS: Forever 21
BOOTS: Macy's
HAT: Urban Outfitters

Ralph Walso Emerson wrote, “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”

And I just loved that.

At first the idea is kind of counter-intuitive- who wouldn't strive to feel that way?  But when you get down to it, "happy" is way too limiting. Don't strive for happy. Strive for value, for connection, for something that makes you feel alive and not just content. It's almost like having to go the extra mile, and that takes bravery. But a life worth living usually does :)

trixy-cat-7 TRIXY-CAT-1

And I have been getting great use out of this Trixy Cat Vintage southwestern jacket while there's still snow on the ground. Lately I've been feeling my style shift towards a more relaxed, minimal route, and since this jacket is most definitely a show stopper I knew I wanted to pair it with some super simple pieces. And instead of going my usual route with this white cable-knit sweater and putting a chambray top underneath, I went with a grey turtleneck instead. And I love how cozy it turned out! 

 Trixy Cat Vintage has a store full of SUPER eclectic pieces- everything from Hepburn-esque tea length dresses to boho feather print maxi dresses- and it's a great store to visit if you don't really subscribe to one type of style (like me!) So if you have a moment, be sure to check them out here. You won't be sorry (especially after you see the cape coats!)

Also, they own a female based skateboarding company too, called Gypsy Boards. Each board is hand crafted and hand painted, so if you know how to skate be sure to check them out! 

trixy-cat-6 trixy-cat-2

And here are some of my favorite picks from Trixy Cat at the moment- especially that floral dress. Not only is the bow super charming, but it looks like a water color painting!


Coffee
lucy-blue
jeja-vintage
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

32 comments :

  1. Love this, so vintage as I said before - perfect mix and still looks chic not over the top. Love the whole look!

    Have a great day,
    Lucy xxx

    Florals & Corals

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is definitely way more to life than being happy, because there are moments no matter what you do you aren't going to be happy. And to just allow yourself to be and get done what you need to is important.
    I love this look, that southwestern type jacket is sooo cool, love it with the chunky knit sweater :)
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote -- it really changes the way you think about life. Happiness is such an underestimated concept, people don't really consider what all goes into it. Love your jacket...and I applaud you for being able to brave the cold with merely one layer of tights!

    sampzandsuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a similar jacket (but without the print) from my aunt and I love the 80s flair it has about it :D I should wear mine again, too ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! love the hat xxo
    Jamie
    www.candystilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the jacket paired with those shorts!
    Lisa | c/oMKE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice:)) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the Emerson quote.
    And your hat?! Ah! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh that jacket is gorgeous !! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. But for me this is also happiness..

    About the outfit. It's perfect! I am amazed by your creativity once again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love love love this look! You look soo cute! xx

    blancheneve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. WERK!
    And happiness does seem like a low goal. It can be easy to be blinded by happiness,.
    Connection and understanding and peace sound like a mixture that will get us somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another favorite outfit- I love the shorts with the hat and the jacket just goes with everything.

    I think, doing all of those things does bring happiness. Maybe not in the immedient and continuous sense, but overall. That is what I like about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw. That is such a wonderful quote, Marlen! I will no longer strive for happiness BUT CONNECTION-NESS AND USEFULNESS! Because happiness and the latter definitely don't go hand in hand all the time. if you were happy all the time there's no way you could be growing!

    I love dem tights and dat belt. You are snazzy as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think striving for value brings about happiness - I think at the end of my life, knowing I have made a difference in the world in some way will allow me to go in peace. That Emerson quote also reminds me of something my mentor says quite often: "Advocacy is the rent I pay for living on this planet." I love this as well because it reminds me that making a difference in this world is our duty as human beings.

    Now on a sartorial note, I honestly love everything about this outfit - the jacket is just the coolest thing ever! And, of course, your hat is absolutely an adorable addition to such a casual cool outfit! I look amazing!!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the southwestern look of the jacket, it makes me think of Nevada or Arizona. I personally feel that all those things bring happiness. For me the purpose of life is not only to be happy but to make others happy as well.

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the vibe of this outfit and that jacket is such a great piece. Also, very inspiring quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Kristian. Also, I love those shorts! They look really cute with the long overshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love what you had to say about happiness Marlen! Agreed, it takes bravery, but to strive for that extra mile and accomplish it would create a life worth living <3
    Love your rad denim jacket too! ;)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh i love your jacket!!! It is soo unique!! And you look super adorable! <3

    http://anshul90.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You really do have the perfect sense of style! I'm in love with your jacket.

    - I also think the quote is perfect; happiness will be an inevitable by-product of striving to be compassionate and (dare I say it) 'useful'. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Arh, again with this awesome jacket! Can't believe how cool it is! And of course, the way you style it, is pure perfection! Love the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is such an awesome vintage jacket! :)

    Hope you are warm enough with the shorts - so much snow I imagine it's really very cold for you! We are in the middle of a mini heatwave here, I'm jealous of your cooler weather!

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that quote. It definitely rings true. Also, what a cute outfit! It totally says "summer during winter" and I just love that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this whole look!!! I got out of pjs and into yoga pants..i try and blame that on the cold...but clearly you live in the cold nad still manage to look cute...i need to step up my game lol!

    Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happiness is the quite the topic, isn't it? I think it's hard for people to come to the realization that it's impossible to be constantly happy. We are obsessed with happiness though - "how to be happy" is on the cover of almost every magazine!

    You look super pretty, Marlen! That red lipstick looks great on you and I love that jacket with the shorts and tights!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Look at your little legs in those shorts! Cutie patootie (how is this word actually s'posed to be spelled?)!
    : signe : the daily savant :
    : blogspot
    : bloglovin
    Handmade Silver Bracelet Giveaway

    … and check out my new blog, : the daily wonder :
    for art, photography, poetry, prose, recipes, crafts, dances and all things inspiring! I’m always accepting submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this look. The jean jacket is so cute and I love how it's kinda matched to the belt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those shorts sure are beautiful! What a great Goodwill find!


    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it! You make the '80s look cooler than cool :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>