Sherbet Cravings

Jan 22, 2014

new-old-fashioned new-old-fashion-vintage new-old-fashioned-sweater

Turtleneck: Banana Republic (similar: here
Sweater: c/o New Old Fashion Vintage (similar: here and here and here)
Belt: H&M
Skirt: Bear and Twine (for sale here!)
Jacket: Levis (similar: here and here)
Boots: Macy's (similar: here and here)

Sometimes a girl has to put away the burgundy and maroons and  wear a bit of pastel, whether there's layers of snow and ice on the ground or not. I'm all for enjoying the seasons as they come- and I'd be the first to swan dive into a cozy outfit of greys and forest greens- but sometimes I get antsy to play with contrasts. And one contrast I really love while we're smack dab in the middle of these bitter months is winter brights. I always admired J Crew on their ability to take cotton candy colors and make them so winter appropriate that you barely even register that you're looking at Easter egg colors. It's easy to toe the line in a wrong way, and end up looking like you're too eager for Spring to come rather than just trying to dress colorfully. But in the end I think I cracked it- the trick might be in the layers.

When I nabbed this sherbet colored sweater from New Old Fashion, I knew I'd try a hand in toeing that line. And as I discarded one wrong combo after another on my bedroom floor, I inched closer to the understanding that you might have to over compensate with layers to make it work. When popping this sweater over dresses or under collared shirts, the outfits looked alright but they still had something...off. But when I added a turtleneck and shrugged on a light jacket, that's when things started taking off. The extra bulk still made it clear it was hovering a little bit above double digits outside, but the colors said I was trying to fight off winter depression, and successfully at that. And so voila, we have a well balanced outfit!

And if you want a bright sweater of your own- or maybe a flirty dress to get you excited about Spring- be sure to check out New Old Fashion Vintage here. They have so many pretty things in stock that it's always super fun to stock up your shopping cart wistfully, haha!

new-old-fashioned-vintage-etsy
new-old-fashioned-etsynew-old-fashioned-bright-sweater

And here are some of my top picks from New Old Fashion Vintage to give you an idea what else they have- how gorgeous is that crochet dress?!

new-old-fashion-selections



Coffee
rebel-closet
vicoton
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

34 comments :

  1. Pastels are pretty rad, and that sherbet (what a good name for that color!) sweater looks great on ya, lady! I've been feeling pastels lately, too, which is odd since I usually like for colors to scream at people. Maybe it's all this cool weather??

    You definitely don't look like an easter egg, so good job, dude!! ROCK AWN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the perfect combination of color and neutral. I also love all your vintage pieces!
    Carlee

    Little Sloth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wearing orange but it is such a difficult color to style. I really like what you've paired it with here. I've been drawn to pastels lately too but probably because it's basically summer here haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and i love it! you have a wonderful style. i'm following you :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely look, you have done such a good job with this. That skirt is beautiful.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sherbet shade is suiting you so much!!! you are looking very pretty... :)
    Neha
    Let's talk about everything

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the color of that sweater! It's bright, but not too bright - just like you said, "winter appropriate." The entire outfit makes me long for spring while still appreciating winter, in a good way!

    NCsquared Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this look, specially the orange touches, the lipstick color is so chic!

    x
    The 109 Block
    http://the109block.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great look! I love a great printed skirt like this and I'm all about pretty colors all year long. The layered sweaters looks extra cozy too!

    perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so ready for spring--the colors and the weather! I love your pretty color pairing here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a beautiful sweater! looks cozy, too. i love it with the teal belt :)

    xx
    ~Chantilly

    ReplyDelete
  12. That color is so beautiful on you, Marlen! And just a beautiful color in general. Still the Queen of Layers, I see :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marlen,

    I love how that sherbert tone looks on you! Especially with that lipcolor you have on too! I LOVE pastels (if you can't tell from my blog already). And those boots are beautiful too! I love them...especially since it is WAY TOO COLD! They keep your feet nice and toasty!!

    Andrea Fer, Not Quite Grown Up Guide

    ReplyDelete
  14. The light shade of that sweater is gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great skirt. Loving the color combination of the orange and green. mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that orange! I've never liked pastels but this might be one I need to try when Spring hits. It's really the hardest season for me to get into.. I never like the trends. BUT I like this orange. Maybe with cognac boots? Yummy.

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sweater is gorgeous! And I love how you tucked it into the skirt and made it all winter appropriate with the jacket and tights.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh you are rocking this color girl friend! Love it on you..
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree - I don't know JCrew does it with their colors but they totally do! Your pastel look definitely works for winter - in fact I think a little bright is necessary to get us through the gross months!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, another one of my favourites of yours! Loving that tangerine shade on you and the print on the skirt is great! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this color combination but it is the jean jacket with that sherbet that makes it soooo perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all the pops of color! I've started seeing color everywhere again and can't wait! I'm so sick of all these winter palettes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So much cuteness here. Pastels are good all year as far as I'm concerned! I love the color of your sweater and how you layered a turtleneck underneath. Plus your skirt is awesome. I love that print.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You styled the brights perfectly, Marlen, and I especially love that shirt!
    I'm glad to hear you're doing so well - I can see that reflected in your bright outlook (and bright appearance!)
    All the best to you!
    -Carley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these colors! Your hair is looking really great these days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just looking at this outfit makes me happy. It's the pastels, I just know it. Especially the soft mint and orange mixed together, what a happy and pretty combination! :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  27. I looove this outfit! I know you were going for a vintage feeling but somehow it's also really modern and on trend - in my opinion, the best of both worlds! Btw you read my mind, I was thinking about writing a post on wearing colors during the winter; after reading this, I am rethinking my outfit, I hope it's not too bold for winter :) check it out later! x
    http://inmysuitcasee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. You nailed the whole wearing pastels in winter. Nailed it. (summing it up in writing and in style) I always feel like I'm dressing too eagerly for spring, but you got it all right! That colour of lipstick looks wonderful on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great look! love the colors

    www.lifeisjustrosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahh yes that skirt! I love this outfit, so sherberty. I wish their was ice on the ground here...
    In response to your question, I live in Northern California now, but I am moving to SoCal for school. I am finishing my Bachelor's degree at a university right by Disneyland =]

    xx
    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. So pretty! I love how you put this outfit together. I need a sweater that color. It's lovely on you :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>