Happy

Jan 21, 2014

bon-marche-couturebon-marche-couture-vintage-skirtbon-marche-couture-vintage

Hat: Urban Outfitters (similar: here)
Skirt: c/o Bon Marche Couture (similar: here and here and here)
Dress (worn as blouse): c/o New Old Fashion Vintage (similar: here and here)
Vest: c/o Mousevox (similar: here and here and here)
Boots: Macy's (similar: here and here)


Yesterday I was reading by the fireplace with my legs propped up on the coffee table in a way that’s particular to a Sunday evening, when my parents horned in with glasses of wine in hand and told me to beat it. Apparently Pawn Stars  was on and I had no clout when it came to stakes on the couch. Sassy. So I made my way to my room and, upon entering, I had a moment where I flopped onto my bed and hit that one spot the bed has tucked away all sneaky like- that one spot that feels so comfortable you want to derp out like a fat cat and spend the rest of the night doing nothing but sinking further into the blankets. And while I laughed as I stretched and made myself fold deeper into the fluff, I felt something close to stupid happy. Wonderfully, irrationally, stupid happy.  At that moment it all just came full circle that, in a word, I was delighted with life.

The moment reminded me of the quote by Haliz that goes, “Ever since happiness heard your name, it has been running through the streets trying to find you.”  It always made me think of happiness with legs, running through dark cobbled, winding streets, peaking into windows and getting lost through forking alley ways, trying- in a hurry- to find you and spend and evening or two in your company. And I think this weekend it finally found the street I lived on and came inside for a spell.

The reason I think that is because the weekend was filled with little things that, upon looking closer, are big enough to save a person: walking snowy city streets arm in arm with my best friend, eating at gastropubs that are across the street from art museums, cold air that kisses your cheeks pink, warm coffee as your socks dry inside dimly lit cafes, conversations inside shadowy bars, and lips that are swiped in red. Happiness found me, and I hope it stays for a stretch or two. 

bon-marche-couture-etsy

And when a lady is happy on the inside, the outside reflects just that. Which is why I'm pretty much wearing all my favorite things today; just piled on one on top of the other. It's a good thing all my favorites somehow match each other or else things would have gotten really weird really fast, haha. This skirt from Bon Marche Couture is one item in particular that is quickly becoming a staple in my closet. It being the color of wine and having a tulip shape, it pretty much goes with just about anything and everything during winter. It's hard to not find something it'll match, seeing how it goes so perfectly with all of the dark colors we bundle on this season. And Bon Marche Couture as a store is wonderful. The owner, Emily, has an eye that appreciates classic taste but also anything out of the ordinary, which pretty much makes us soul sisters. And what's even better is that she wants to make her pieces affordable to everyone, pricing most of her things below the $20 mark! So if you're in a shopping mood, I definitely suggest you window shop her pretty store right here!

bon-marche-couture-skirt

And to give you an idea of what else Bon Marche Couture is packing, here are some of my favorite picks! I'd live in that midi striped dress-and it's only $15!

bon-marche-couture-selections



Coffee
southwest-vintage
bottle-blonde
Dividers

Linking up with:  Funday Monday, Style Sessions

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

42 comments :

  1. That dress is some kind of wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the plaid + red pencil skirt combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you styled the skirt, it looks great on you! Thanks for the shout outs too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happiness quote is beautiful! And that really does sound like the perfect weekend, that's so wonderful!
    I love wearing all my favourite things at once, definitely a good reason to smile
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, those happy negligee moments, when you realize how precious are the little things. Priceless ^_^ I have those moments too. A cup of coffee (or beer, depending on the time :D) and my favorite show, make me the happiest.
    You look dashing dear! This burgundy red is definitely your color! The belt is perfect and love the dress worn like that underneath ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have these happy moments as well sometimes
    and it could pop up after reading a sweet text
    message or something you've seen or heard.
    Or dreamed.
    You look lovely as usual c: Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look radiant. These colors are perfect, and they really complement the grass peeking through the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I call a perfect outfit! The colors are beautiful and I love every piece! Amazing really :)

    Sybille xx
    http://thenewnewgirl.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to think about staying in the moment particularly in times when the situation is completely peaceful such as being able to sit outside while having a glass of wine and catching up with a friend....life is so busy and over scheduled that I try to really take in the moments when you don't have anywhere to be but in that moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy you are happy! Really, just reading this post I have a massive grin on my face. I love this outfit and that orangey lipstick looks fantastic xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love that Hafez quote on happiness. So beautiful.

    Speaking of beautiful - the color palette in this look is stunning! I love burgundy/berry shades in the winter and, of course, your hat is the cutest thing ever! Lovely outfit!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, good to hear you are so happy! Great outfit too! Love the colour combination! :)

    Love,

    Sonja
    www.redsonjafashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore this vintage style on you, the outfit is styled perfectly! Excited to check out the etsy stores you got it from. Glad I found your blog, new follower via BlogLovin :)
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do find it funny people search for happiness - it's inside of us! Lovely post, another awesome (and I think for the first time I mean to use that word literally for it is actually awe inspiring, haha) quote!

    And gorgeous outfit! Like always, seamless layering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress is amazing! love the colours in this outfit :)

    www.retrostreetstation.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love the layouts of your posts, you put so much effort in and they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad that you got to refresh a bit. :)
    Lisa | c/oMKE

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that feeling. And you look wonderful to top it off!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That skirt is beautiful! Love the plaid paired with it. AND THAT HAT. I need. Love it all!

    Jody
    www.jodybeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your outfit!
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely blog :)
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you shop on Etsy! I run a shop over there as well so I love when my fellow Etsians are getting love! You look great! I especially love the collar on that plaid shirt! So cute!

    Jen
    witsicle - a personal style blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, It is so strange as I don't even know you but I feel so glad you found happiness. Happiness is such a wonderful thing and when you finally get it, it is amazing. I love your look so vintage Parisian. Also what lipstick are you wearing? it is perfect, I think i need it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow! I love your outfit it's so perfect and cute!

    http://www.ohmydior.org/

    ReplyDelete
  25. For the billionth time, please write the next great American novel. Please. I would buy the dookie out of it. I love how you write.

    I'm so glad you're happy. I feel like you've gone through a lot in the past few months. And your outfit reflects how peppy you are. So cute and vintage-looking! :D

    love,
    a

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful words, and beautiful lipstick!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love those moments when you just realize--I am happy. And I hope it stays a while for you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah yes, that absolute feeling of happiness...so glad it found it's way to your place :)
    You look so cute as always, and I bet it made you feel extra happy just wearing all your favorite pieces! I love it

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  29. So in love with this outfit. I want that hat. You look amazing! Fantastic post, love. If you get a free moment, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. xo

    www.fashboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. “Ever since happiness heard your name, it has been running through the streets trying to find you.” - I love this quote, it´s oozing with positivity! :)

    On another note, I´d vote this as one of the best outfits to try when you would like to wear a skir in the snow. Love all the colors together, Marlen!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i'm all for little moments where you feel happiness. and i make sure i'm aware enough to not overlook them! i just got out of my bed like an hour ago, and am missing its comfiness you described.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can we just stop for a moment and talk about how glorious your use of the word "derp" is? Ok… moving on… I miss my bed at my mum's house. I have the same kind of spot! I definitely agree with you about the way feeling good inside is able to reflect on the outside. I've been noticing lately that in my outfit pictures, when I'm traveling, I tend to look a lot more relaxed and happy, as opposed to the ones I take at home in the few brief moments I can find before running off for a 13-hour workday! I look haggard and blah and the feelings on the inside are totes obvi on the outside!


    : signe : the daily savant :
    : blogspot
    : bloglovin
    60-Day Subscription to Panther Legwear Giveaway (5 winners!)

    ReplyDelete
  33. so pretty! really like the combo between the plaid shirt and the vest x

    tuttifruttibyam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a great mix of items, very beautiful colors and textures. The sleeveless top worn as a vest is so smart. Your hat and bright tone lip color make it all pop. I always forget how important the right lip color is, this is a great reminder here. Your style is so refreshing!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hope happiness extends her stay ;)

    xJo
    http://www.myselfexpressed.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. ok so somehow...in the midst of holiday craziness and not being caught up on blogs and you still posting so consistently, I've missed everything that's happened to you lately! I had to read old posts to get caught up on everything, and MAN, I'm so glad you're feeling really happy. It's amazing to me how happiness was something that came so easily when you're younger, but as you get older, you're constantly striving but it's harder to find. Still, amidst all the transitions in your life, if you can find little cozy pleasures that make you feel content, that's a special gift!

    I've been piling on favorite things to stay warm in this cold as well! Love your lipstick. And really glad you're doing alright, Marlen!

    perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this outfit and I love your happy! I hope it stays awhile, too. =]

    Your writing is always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This outfit is just so adorable! The color of that suit is just sooo perfect!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've been super-loving your posts lately, Marlen! Such great writing, full of emotion! I can relate to all so much of what you say. I am glad happiness found you. Reminders I need to appreciate the little things more...

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>