Berry Colors

Jan 24, 2014

bon-marche-couture-etsy-vintagebon-marche-couturebon-marche-couture-skirt

Hat: Urban Outfitters (similar: here)
Vest: Goodwill (similar-ish: here and here)
Shirt: c/o Leading Articles (similar: here and here (only $10!)
Skirt: c/o Bon Marche Couture (similar: here and here and here)
Tights: Urban Outfitters
Boots: Macy's

Today give yourself permission to be:

unapolegetically hopeful
outrageously delighted
unreasonably kind
recklessly wistful
welcoming with abandon
intriguingly candid

And above all, happy. 

bon-marche-couture-vintage
bon-marche-couture-vintage-etsy

And while you're busy being all those things, I'm going to talk about my outfit. Which I love to bits, people, bits! Like I mentioned in the last post where I wore my Bon Marche Couture skirt, this bad boy is proving to be very effective in my wardrobe. It's a dark burgundy color, but it somehow makes everything pop when paired with it, rather than darkened and dulled. I'll admit I have like five different rust colored pants squirreled away in my closet as we speak, and when I was first eyeing this skirt I wasn't sure if I should get it for just that reason. There's a little something too uncomfortably Hoarders-esque about having more than a handful of copies of the same thing, amiright? But the magic of a skirt is its waist line. A vest completely transforms when it's tucked into a high waisted skirt, as does a loudly patterned shirt when its half covered at the waist and forced to be an accent rather than the center piece. Pants can't achieve the same look, which is why I'm quickly finding myself abusing this one item, haha. And if you want a basic staple like this of your own, be sure to check out Bon Marche Couture right here- they have tons!

bon-marche-couture-plum-skirt

And to give you an idea of what else Bon Marche Couture has on its shelves, here are some of my favorite picks. How fun is that polka dot scarf?

selections



Coffee
hey-viv
salt-valley
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

31 comments :

  1. This is stunning! You really know how to use color beautifully. I love the skirt with the green vest, the contrast is delightful.
    Xo
    Carelia

    MySmallWardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours you have going on here! So creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about skirts--and it is something I miss terribly in pregnancy. There are hardly any skirts that fit or look good because I can't (very easily) tuck in my tops any more. :-( I love all of the beautiful colors in your outfit! This might be one of my faves from you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It´s so cool how you present your clothes! Lovely simple blog. xx

    Comme une Giroflée

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the print on that blouse is so cool, I love it. Everything looks great together. Leading Articles I will have to check them out.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just adore that you paired such bright red tights with your berry-hued skirt! So bold and fun - like you :D
    Hope you're having a fantastically happy day!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an adorable outfit! I love all the colors together. :)

    ~Vicki
    decked out in ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're such an expert with colors. I love all these hues together! And that skirt is magical.

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. that skirt color is perfect! and goes so well w/ the yellow vest. such great winter layering! and... i think i majorly need to work on all of those things today since i'll be doing hw and frowing about it most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both the shape and the colors of this outfit. Jewel tones forever :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having a dark red pencil skirt truly multiples one's wardrobe because it just goes with everything! I love this outfit of yours :)

    Also "Welcoming with abandon" :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUPER LOVE THE OUTFIT :)
    love reading your blog, It's very refreshing and genuine and I really appreciate that :)
    anyway, would you like to follow each other?

    SOMETHING REAL SERIOUS

    FACEBOOK PAGE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely!!! I love all of the colors you put together! Definitely adding a dark burgundy skirt to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pencil skirts like this are the best. I have a bunch I thrifted over the years and they go well with all sorts of things. I especially love this maroon shade! I have a skater skirt that's maroon/burgundy-ish and I swear it matches with everything. It's a really versatile shade! I love the print on the shirt you paired with it and all the colors you're wearing look wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - your skirt certainly is something special. It looks like the colour of mulled wine to me... And now I am thinking about Christmas in July celebrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the skirt color (I have a dress in the same hue), and you've just given me inspiration to wear the red tights I got for Christmas!

    MI VIVERE

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderfully put together ensemble! I start to get confused when I get past layer 2, so the intricacy of this outfit is definitely admirable. I've been lurking for a while, but decided to finally comment on say HI MARLEN! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are absolutely adorable and I really love your outfit! Those colors just look so good together. It makes me want more color in my life!
    Hahaha I totally get you about hoarding certain articles of clothing. I totally do that with black. Wow I just realized this comment is literally all about color. LOL!
    xoxo
    lyndsey of hellolyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man, I'm a huge hoarder. I have tons of clothes that, when you think about it, are the same :D
    I'm in love with how you manage colors in your outfits. You always pick the most fun and creative way to mix them up, I'm jelly even! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seriously how do you wear so well! Love your creativity in all the outfits xx

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another day, another great outfit from you! I have to say, I love your hat! Btw I wrote my response to your post about the pastel colors in winter, check it out :) x

    http://inmysuitcasee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love berry and burgundy shades for Winter! Great how you've paired it with those coloured tights and printed blouse :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. All these colours are amazing together!!! You have such a great eye for colour combinations, and obviously layering too.
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such great colors, love this one!

    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this look! These colors are absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a similar skirt in burgundy. It is one of my favourites and very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely love Berry colors in the winter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. aw aw aw, that is such a happy thing to read. You are such a good little writer all the time ALWAYS and I love reading your posts and getting mininspirations. :D Minispirations Ijust mashed those two words together and it's definitely a word.

    And might I say that this outfit is BERRY excellent? BAHAHA BERRYR BAHAHSDJHSSHFJhfsjdkf

    I'm not even funny anymore (sighs and walks off)

    but really, these colors are so gorgeous together--that lime and magenta especially nnnng you are a godessssss (goddesssss)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love LOVE your advice on how to be sprinkled in with some fashion insight!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I jus love your style of dressing, quirky fun and colorful! You nailed it again, Marlen! Love the chartreuse and burgundy mix too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>