Being Pensive in a Turtleneck (Because in What Else?)

Jan 14, 2014

voyeur-vintage-etsyvoyeur-vintage-turtleneck-etsyvoyeur-vintage-turtleneck
SHIRT: thrifted (similar: here)| TURTLENECK: c/o Voyeur Vintage| PANTS: American Apparel (similar: here, here, and here)| HAT: Urban Outfitters| SUNGLASSES: Gap| BOOTIES: Macy's| BACKPACK: c/o La Poule Noire

This right here is what I look like on my comfy days. The days that I don't really want to do much other than put on thick, fuzzy socks/ watch the snow fall in a lazy fashion/ read a library book that's already way overdue/ take a trip to the memories in my mind I hardly ever visit anymore/ and/or put my chin on my knees and just think about the state of things. 

This week I've been in a bit of a pensive mood, which is easy to get into when the sun sets at 3 PM and you feel like you're Tolstoy himself brooding by the fireplace as the snow rages on outside. But instead of thinking about the tragedy of death as he would while swishing my brandy around in a snifter, I think about just how unclear everything still is. This thought sprung up after a friend asked me for advice on a sticky situation, and I thought it weird that I, the person who is the same age as her, would have a better handle or understanding of what the outcome should be. It seems that I still have the same understanding of the world I did when I was fourteen, which leads me to wonder if anyone ever really gets a good grasp on it? 

I feel like I still have a laundry list of mistakes to get through until things start to become more clear, but I feel like that sentence is more hopeful than scary. What I mean by that is, do you ever get a really good story out of something that went perfectly well? Do you learn something shockingly knew about yourself when you did that one thing that was expected of you? Can you really say yes to life when you keep going down that same road you've been on since day one? Or is it more of a, "Yes I see you there life- just, just give me a minute here- I'll catch up with you...later." 

I'm not saying throw all caution to the wind, but I am saying be brave enough not to want comfort. Want poetry, want discovery, want the road, want sinking feelings and uneasiness, want stars that don't- and won't- hide, want the long way home, want growth and disorientation, want all-nighters, want that one turn that'll get you lost, and want dreams materialized. Dreams don't have to be the jars you put your secret hopes into- make them into living, breathing things; into reality. Go for broke. And if you can afford not to, see why that's the most unkind thing you've done to yourself so far. 


And with that I leave you with one of my favorite thoughts put into words:
“Let’s order too much of something just to see where our limits are. Let’s take a chance precisely because it might fail. Let’s take the hard way out. Let’s go to the moon. Fuck it; let’s go to the moon again. Let’s quit our jobs. Let’s work at being better at what we do by fucking up faster, not less. Let’s fuck up really fast. Let’s wrestle sharks, fight monsters, and disagree with the board. Let’s start a 10-hour drive by announcing “I’m not into you anymore.” Let’s start out to build a better mousetrap, and halfway there let’s decide to jump on the mice’s team.” 
― Mike Monteiro


voyeur-vintage-etsy-turtleneckvoyeur-vintage

Coffee
Mary-Alice
Whhttt
Dividers


______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
_____________________________________

41 comments :

  1. Love the high wasted pants looks great with your whole look. mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are even fashionable when just hanging. No fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these colors together! Amazing outfit!
    -Adara
    adaradella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the what? I love this look!!! So cute!!! Fabulous colors for you!!!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You write wonderfully, you know that? THANK YOU! I needed this inspiration. Mike Monteiro seems like a fun guy to hang out with. Your outfit is very French to me, you should go be chic with them! They would be so jealous of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true. Out of our greatest mistakes, weaknesses and dark times come the greatest lessons, advice and appreciations. It is so important to remember. I love your quote. And we don't see you in trousers super often, but I love this look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful combination my dear!
    http://www.fashionhypnotised.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, Girl. I feel like you and I are just in the same situation right now. I feel ya!
    Lisa | c/oMKE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, my new favourite colour combination is yellow and red - they look wonderful together! That shirt has the cutest collar too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lipstick is amazing. And that turtleneck is so cool.
    I kept reading the title of this as "Being a Pensive Turtle." This is such a good post, though! I really love especially how you pointed out that we shouldn't keep dreams in jars, but live and breathe them. I think everyone tends to think their dreams are not attainable... but why not? With some hard work and a little bit of carefree added in... anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's the wintertime that does that. I'm never so gaze-out-the-window-meaningfully more than in the winter. I realized today that I never do anything for the sole purpose of having fun. There's always another "productive" reason.
    That's a load of malarkey and it needs to change. I liked the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts are so inspiring! I've definitely learned more from mistakes than I have from things that went as I expected them to. I used to hate being wrong or not getting things perfect, but now I'm totally okay with making a fool out of myself or getting things wrong because I always learn so much, or at least get a good laugh out of it hehe

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh man, that's a good quote. I'm amazed I haven't heard it before. Sigh, it seems we never get any better, though I'm pretty sure you're much more wise than your 14 year old self. Just when you get to thinking you have a better understanding of yourself, someone comes along and makes you change that, huh?

    This is such a precious ~casual~ outfit. CASUAL MY BUTT, MAR-EE-LEN.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post...beautifully written. And I can understand this completely...and agree whole heartedly. Just what I needed today. Thank you.

    Also--3 pm..REALLY? Augh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look amazing! that thrifted shirt is amazing! :)

    ~Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ~Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha I really really love comfort. I don't need a crazy life to be happy. I already have enough crap going wrong constantly without seeking it out. I'm sure that happens to a lot of people though!

    But anyway, the colors in this outfit are super cool and I want those pants. They look comfortable - especially with that shirt and your cozy turtleneck. A perfect outfit for casual lounging!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooooooh you are simply too cute.
    "Let's fuck up really fast", I LOVE IT.
    Following you now, you are awesome.

    xx
    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so jealous of how cold it is over there, it was 80º in San Diego today. It should be illegal for it to be that hot in winter. I really love your outfit! Everything from the turtleneck to the riding pants are just effortlessly cool. I'm kind of jealous that you look so fashionable when you're just hanging out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I actually love this quote! Aha, it describes embracing the messy side of life full-heartedly. And honestly, who really figures anything out? I think we just forge ahead the best we can, and the 14-year old knowledge we carry with us only adapts slightly.

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  20. As Chuck Palahniuk puts it: "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." And I truly believe this is the case. People get trapped in their comfort zone and forget the important things in life. So, I'm with ya sister! :D

    Love this casual cozy look. After all, it features my favorite shirt *_*

    ReplyDelete
  21. super fashionable!
    love everything from head to toe :)

    WWW.PUTRIVALENTINALIM.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bonito look, me gusta la combinación de color. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so amazing. The hat is perfect and I love how you styled it. :)

    Keep in touch,
    J
    www.jonnessa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow I love all the colors in this outfit!
    The thrifted shirt is my favorite! Great find :)
    Wish we had snow here during the winter although I don't think I'll know how to dress for it!
    www.voguevillain.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1. I ♥ those pants. Cute and comfy, for the win.
    2. As a quote junkie, I'm always excited to discover new quotes in unexpected places. The Monteiro quote is new to me and I love it. If not now, when? If not us, who??
    Glad to have stumbled across your blog!

    Sarah :: Your Plucky Picaroon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving this outfit, suits you so well!! x

    tuttifruttibyam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. i admit idk if i could handle the sun setting at 3pm. yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are some deep thoughts. I think a lot of us college grads in our twenties are starting to feel this way. Its like okay, life... now what? Hopefully we can all somewhat figure it out sooner or later haha. Oh, and these are your comfy clothes?? You still look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous outfit, love the yellow top xoxo

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for stopping by at my blog, you actually read the whole post, I didn't know that anyone would make it trough :D You have a great personal style but what I like even more is your writing: "you feel like you're Tolstoy himself brooding by the fireplace as the snow rages on outside." xoxo
    http://inmysuitcasee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have been wanting a hat like this but I always feel like I can't pull it off. This post might have nudged me in the right direction! Thanks for stopping by Just Jilly!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Marlen, this might be one of my favourite posts you've ever written! You have completely articulated thoughts and feelings of mine in ways I've been struggling to for a while. Thanks!! I heartily agree. One of my favourite quotes that reminds me of this post is by Joan Burroughs: "bad ideas are never boring." Happy January :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. ugh marlen i needed that inspiration. ive been applying to jobs i dont want just to make some money but deep down i feel like it's super wrong and i've sort of been ignoring it. getting comfortable in life at the risk of losing your artistic integrity is so tough. what a struggle. post collegiate life, man. anyway, thanks for that little nudge, i need to rethink some things obvs.

    p.s. love that yellow color on you


    --Leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete
  34. I always loved those AA pants, but never took the plunge and bought them, mainly because I had no clue how to style them, but you gave me so much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Holy moly! Your legs are so great in those pants. I LOVE this whole look.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely color pattern!

    And I like your pensive thoughts -- especially that image of being like Tolstoy brooding b/c of the sun disappearing in mid-afternoon. :) As a librarian -- and I gotta admit, I did an involuntary gasp at the "books that are already way overdue" line (just renew it! it takes sooooo much collective staff time to run overdue reports, pursue purchasing of additional copies if there's patron demand, etc.) -- I totally get what you mean about not craving comfort or the easy way. Teaching research skills, sometimes I start by asking students who had, or still has, that uneasy feeling in the pit of their stomach when they found out about a paper being due. (Several always raise their hands.) And then go on to reveal that that feeling is NORMAL. That research IS hard. That evaluation DOES take time. It's supposed to be. And they get to learn from that experience. Sometimes we try so hard to "convince" people that no, such-and-such is actually so easy, when that feels at time like a disservice.

    Anyway, I enjoyed your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the mustard and maroon together! You look great!
    Thanks for linking-up with Wednesday Style Connection!

    Jessica

    Afternoon Style

    ReplyDelete
  38. You're so cute and that hat is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness, I've been lusting after these AA pants forever, in just this shade too! They look AMAZING on you! You have such great legs!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>