Layered Like an Onion: Summer Blouse Edition

Nov 15, 2013

Layered-like-an-onion
When I chose this polka dotted number from Something Borrowed there was a voice in the back of my head that piqued up and asked "ummm whatchya doing? You won't be able to wear that til come come June." 

To which I answered, "Challenge. Accepted." What can you do, sometimes you run across a summer top in mid-November and decide you can't pass it up! And in this edition of Layered Like an Onion, I'm going to show you a way to layer that bad boy up so you can wear it even though it's nippy outside. So let's begin!

Layered-like-an-onion1

Step One: Put that top on. This is a real crucial step in the process- there's no going forward til we have that down pat ;)

Layered-like-an-onion2

Step Two: Layer a long sleeved top underneath for warmth. I usually go with a collared blouse for these layering moments, but since my Something Borrowed polka dot top already has a collar I had to skip that. When first piecing this outfit together I originally tried putting a chambray shirt underneath, but the blue and purple looked way too loud together, so I went with something light and white instead. I also really love this choice because mixing dots with dots is one of my favorite combos- it's so easy and quirky all at once! The last time I mixed polka dots was in this post in case you want more proof on how awesome it is ;)

Layered-like-an-onion3


Step Three: Just because it's Fall doesn't mean you have to put the colors away! To offset that eye catching purple hue and to make it become a little more Autumn-esque rather than summery, I reached for my trusty mustard skirt. Sometimes all you have to do is throw in a Fall color to make it more season appropriate!

Layered-like-an-onion4

Step Four: Accessorize! This is where I usually reach for a wide brimmed hat or colorful necklace, but this Vintage Griffin scarf was the perfect thing to tie my color scheme together (similar selections can be found here). That and adding a silk or knit scarf will instantly give any summer look more of a November touch!

Aaand that is how I move my summer blouses into the chillier months. What do you think, would you try it? Below is how I wore this same Something Borrowed blouse in this post- another easy way to transition those tops is to just slap a cardi over it!

Something-Borrowed-Shirt

And seeing how my polka dot shirt was the star of the show, here are some of my favorite picks from Something Borrowed for your browsing pleasure :) How awesome are those tartan pants?!

selections



Coffee
mousevox microcosmos
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

30 comments :

  1. Queen of all layering skilllllz I bow down to thee!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mix and matches with this cute
    polka dot blouse c: Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love polka dot on polka dot! It's so fun and looks great! Beautiful look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously love your layered like an onion toast. Your styling is always so creative and awesome xx

    http://thecurvygirlinthecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polka dots and pumpkin skirt! I love it. Also now I want pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post to inspire us to layer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mustard skirt is unbelievably lovely! xxxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always loving polka dots! I really enjoy your layered like an onion posts! Thank you for the idea for wearing a scarf! I just bought two and I'm anxiously awaiting them in the mail! Do you have other ideas on scarf outfits?
    Also, thank you! I love red clothes, but I've been straying away from them. I may start wearing more red :]

    http://cal-a-mari.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. Polka dots are my favorite, loving the layering look. mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, you brilliant person you! I am so loving this awesome post, you are the ultimate layering expert, would have never thought of this! ♥ Love how you wore the shirt both ways, adorable! Perfection!!

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are seriously the queen of layering!! I just might start buying summer tops because of your tips :D

    xoxo

    WWW.ZERXZASTYLE.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  12. The coloring in this outfit is perfect. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooray for more awesomely skilled layering. Sleeveless tops like this are some of the easiest layering pieces, I think. I love how they can be underneath sweaters without sleeve bulkiness and over top of long sleeved things like you did. And you are completely right about just adding a fall color to make any outfit autumn-appropriate. I love this outfit you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable! The pop of color was perfect. I'm not bamf enough to go with the scarf, but you look fabulous and so high-fashion whilst wearing it. Bravo! :D

    love,
    a

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your layering ideas are always inspirational! So creative. Loving the polka dots! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! You've styled the layered like an onion challenge beautifully & so stylishly! <3

    Sophie xo soinspo

    ReplyDelete
  17. It doesn't matter what season it is, you always make what you want to wear work! I love it :)
    I always come across the perfect summery tops in the winter, so I'll have to get creative to make them work right now

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look so chic!! I love your ideas!! :)

    Feel free to visit my blog as well if you wish! <3


    Diana
    www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com
    New Video: 7 Ways to Layer Your Clothes Like A New Yorker

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a versatile piece to have in ones wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is SO fun! I love how you showed each step of the layering process! The second look is just a fab also!
    -Carylee
    morepom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post! I love polka dots and I have a blouse like yours. Thanks for sharing the ideas of how to wear it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you made this tank winter appropriate. You styled it so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute! I love the polka dot on polka dot action! Haha

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this! Layering is the best. It's why I can't bear to pack away any of my wardrobe during season changes. :P

    ~Vicki
    decked out in ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these posts so much! I definitely need to try something similar to this with my summer tops. I always think to layer long sleeves under dresses, but never under shirts for some reason. Thanks for the inspiration as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A+ layering! xx

    blancheneve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>