Just Like the Olden Days

Nov 2, 2013

Fancy-lucky-vintage-tweed-shirtFancy-Lucky-Vintage-Elbow-PatchesFancy-Lucky-Vintage-Etsy
SHIRT: c/o Fancy Lucky Vintage (similar: here| SKIRT: thrifted (similar: here| BELT: thrifted| PURSE: thrifted (similar: here) | BOOTS: Macy's (similar: here| BERET: c/o Moonchild Vintage (similar: here)

Happy November, people! This year for Halloween, instead of eyeing a bottle of Johnny Walker precariously, I slipped on some sweat pants, tee-peed the living room with black and white streamers, and methodically ate a huge bowl full of candy as I watched Little Shop of Horrors and the like throughout the night. I woke up with a massive belly ache and with my thighs judging me the next day, but it was so worth it. 

Which is why, the next day, all I wore were things with elastics on them, haha. And this floral skirt fits just that bill. There's something so Soviet Cold War about this outfit, isn't there? I don't know if it's the concrete backdrop or the military boots or the Fancy Lucky Vintage tweed blouse, but I feel very Old World in this. I'm pretty sure if I rummage around in some old photo albums in the attic, I'll find my grandma in the same outfit, staring up stony faced at me from her black and white photograph. I kind of...like it. And this Moonchild beret is the perfect "old school charm" detail to tie it all together! Now excuse me while I go ask my father for a loaf of bread. 

fancy-lucky-vintage-shirtFancy-Lucky-VintageFancy-Lucky-Vintage-Blouse

And here's how I styled this same Fancy Lucky Vintage top in this post

fancy-lucky-vintage-etsy-dress

And how I styled this Moonchild beret in this post

New-Old-Fashion

And here are some of my favorite Fall picks from both Fancy Lucky Vintage & Moonchild:

selections

Coffee
Wild-HoneyWandering-Ruby-Olive
Dividers

Linking up with: I Feel Pretty
______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

26 comments :

  1. Obssesed with this look!! Wow is absolutely gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt is just so cute! I really love the floral pattern - it is very pretty!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha practical and cute - I love it! I really like the juxtaposition of utilitarian and feminine in this outfit! Great look yet again!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love that shoulder-padded top!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahaha, did your father grant you the loaf of bread? I love the floral skirt and the elbow patches :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite of your looks in awhile. I like the retrained color palette (I mean, I like you in color too, but this is what I like about this outfit), an how understated it is. The florals provide contrast but are small.

    Also, yes, this is very 1930s/40s USSR to me- at least as Hollywood saw it. You remind me of Garbo in Ninotchka!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this look, Marlen!
    It definitely has some old world flare, which I love :)
    And as for your thighs judging you for indulging in some much needed candy - there will be no judgement from me (mostly because I did pretty much the same thing).
    Have a great weekend!
    -Carley
    xx
    www.littlebirdlee.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that adorable outfit, Marlen!! That beret is gorgeous, especially with that floral skirt and those shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, oh man, sounds like an awesome Halloween! I had a similar one, and it was so worth it :)
    Thank goodness for stylish elastic clothing! This floral skirt is perfect, especially the way you styled it up with your signature layers and adorable beret

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are gorgeous and I looooove all of these dark shades together. Also loving the way you edited these photos!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am seriously loving that first outfit!! The hat totally suits you, but the skirt is just.... LOVE!

    Glad to hear you had fun on Halloween, too!

    xoxo Jackie
    SomethingAboutThat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful outfit! I feel you about the whole candy thing...we have some leftovers from what we got for the trick-or-treaters and I can't help but slowly chip away at it. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, awesome outfit! I love the skirt and the combo with the shirt and the beret.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look lovely as usual c: Love that floral
    skirt! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like my Halloween--the BEST!!!! Love this outfit! Great elbow patches and skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First outfit is my fav outfit!
    You look very chic <3

    xx
    Christina Klein
    http://bychristina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't get over just how perfect your floral skirt is. And may I say, you styled it beautifully with those boots and tweed top! I couldn't resist pinning a few of your shots. Just lovely!

    xo Jessica
    www.thischarmingwanderer.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute outfit! Always a fan when there are some florals somewhere ... :)

    xoxo

    WWW.ZERXZASTYLE.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love your top and the skirt. i'm still hunting for a vintage plaid skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a perfectly good Halloween to me! Loving the print on the skirt and I'm really a sucker for elbow patches :) Looks great!

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. The patches on the elbows are my favorite. I've always wanted a piece like that. You're right; this is very "old world." One of my good friends just purchased a house of his own--the home has dark wood and heavy crown molding and all that. It looks very Old World as well. Your outfit certainly matches his house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all of these, but especially the last one, with the plaid skirt and chambray peeking out from the sweater. Just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Little Shop of Horrors is my all-time favorite movie and musical. Holy crap. You're a winner and we need to be friends.

    Also this outfit is so perfect. I just love that blouse. I'm pretty sure you could pair it with anything. It looks wonderful with your floral skirt and beret. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>