Ballard, Seattle

Oct 18, 2013

Ballard


Ballard6Ballard5Straylight-VintageStraylight-Vintage-Etsy-Dress
DRESS: c/o Straylight Vintage| VEST: Old Navy| BAG: Urban Outfitters| HAT: Urban Outfitters| BOOTS: Macy's (Lucky Brand)

After four months of living in Seattle, Ballard was left as the only neighborhood I haven't poked my nose into. I don't know if I was leaving best for last, but it definitely sounded as one of the more interesting destinations to spend my afternoon in. Settled by Scandinavian fishermen in the early 20th century, Ballard had a reputation for being a seedy place what with the plethora of open-till-six-am dive bars and blue-collar fishermen running the place. But the hipster invasion soon scooted its way in and now it's more of a charming, Nordic neighborhood than a pitstop port. It's got cobbled, tree-lined streets with mismatched buildings flanking its sides, housing the most interesting bars and restaurants under their old roofs. When you swing into the historic district you can almost feel like you're in one of the first neighborhoods the original settlers shimmied up, and you can spend a slow afternoon reading the plaques on the buildings and treating yourself to tasty treats along the way.

And seeing how it's getting pretty Autumn-y up here, I decided to throw on my trusty Straylight Vintage turtleneck dress and dusty combat boots. The last time I wore this Straylight Vintage dress I popped a chambray top over it as an easy layer, but this time I went for more of an...explorer vibe? Yea, I guess that happened. I buttoned up my cargo vest all the way to the top and then slung a camel colored bag across my chest to really play into the warm color scheme. It's a simple outfit, but all the pieces together make for a fun look!

Ballard1
Ballard2ballard9ballard10
Straylight-Vintage-EtsyBallard8Ballard3Straylight-Vintage-Dressballard7

And since I nabbed this turtleneck dress, here are some other fall favorites from Straylight Vintage:
selections



Coffee
Modern Hearts Fuschia Foot
Dividers

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

38 comments :

  1. An explorer vibe is appropriate when you're exploring a new area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my godddd, you actually are too cute in these pics. I had to scroll down and tell you before I even read the post!
    --Lily
    Fifth Freedom Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ballard sure sounds charming! I love this outfit (then again, I love all your outfits :) Especially love the dress - I like that it's a turtleneck! I've never seen a full dress with a turtleneck before. So cute.

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Pictures, Cute dress. <3

    http://downtownhautefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a really cute neighborhood! Have a great weekend!

    Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a charming neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Ballard, so welcome to the hood! Do I spot a visit to Trove? Best vintage store, hands down. Love the pictures and you got some really great shots that capture the heart of the neighborhood. Love your dress too ;)

    <3 Bri {comfyncurrent.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the vest over that dress! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ballard sounds and looks so amazing. I love the shots of the dresses hanging on the walls!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, love your pix! What store had the hanging dresses?
    What made yall move to seattle, if you don't mind me asking...? I just started reading your blog..its great:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm, that sounds like such a delicious place to be! Cobbled streets? Ancient-y? AND CHECK OUT THOSE BRICKS. Those are some old lookin' bricks. Looks nice.

    Your rad outfit layering never ceases to amaze, Miss Marlen. Oh, btw, I met another person named Marlen the other day. But they actually pronounce their name "Marlen." And it's a dude. THE MORE YOU KNOW!!

    love u

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like such an awesome neighborhood. I'm loving the outfit you chose to wear, the vest looks so good buttoned up over the dress. Oh and thanks again for the recommendations. We ended up getting the mac and cheese at Beecher's and it was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! I love the print of that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos! I love your hat! I uploaded my Venice photos on my blog a few days ago. I thought you might like that, concluding from you other comments on my blog :)

    XX Sonja
    www.redsonjafashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing all your adventures! This store looks amazing. I really want that pink dress! Of course, you look cute as always :). Have a great weekend Marlen!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  16. So just like you, it's been forever since I've commented, but I HAVE been reading (and drooling over) your posts regularly! Gah, you make Seattle look so freaking amazing, and I just want to come visit you and go to cool neighborhoods with cool vintage shops with you. Can I please? Also, you've been seriously nailing everything you've been wearing lately. You look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha hipster invasion, wonderful! These photos look lovely, seriously Seattle is so photogenic.
    Love the dress with the vest over it, perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the boots! and great layering with the outift.

    Enter to win a knit sweater

    http://delicatelyfierce.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't Ballard the best??? I love the ladies at Trove Vintage! All my favorite dive-y bars are in Ballard. Love it there.

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are seriously AMAZING! Never stop writing because your posts are always so inspiring, whimsical, quirky, and funny. I love your pictures too.

    This look is super cute and so Portland-y even if you're in Seattle. Man, if you ever come to Portland or Vancouver hit me up! It'd be sweet to collaborate sometime for our blogs or just chill.

    http://northwestdressed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, 1) Trash can trees?! How brilliant. 2), but most importantly, your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ballard looks amazing!
    And also, I am now going to have to mix olive green and red together at some point in the future :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  23. It can hardly be more autumnal, lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a lovely look on you! I can´t believe that olive green looks great with a turtleneck red and white patterned dress. Great pairing and great pics of Ballard too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love all these pictures! Now I want to go to Seattle! You look super cute too - love the vest!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  26. beautiful photos and love your adorable outfit!
    xx Vera & Rony
    http://wattwewear.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really adorable place! And those dresses are just so divine ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ballard look lovely and such a picturesque area. Your vest with that dress looks gorgeous and perfect for autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  29. so pretty! :)
    xoxo
    http://myheartaintabrain.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow such pretty pictures! i heard it rains a lot in seattle, you picked a good day :)

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm loving the amazing photography you're sharing in your posts lately. So inspiring!!

    xoxo Jackie
    SomethingAboutThat

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the vest buttoned up over the dress! I might have to try that sometime. You look so cute! And ballard looks awesome - love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. okay, now i need to come back to seattle just to visit ballard..and steal your clothes. i love this. xo
    the well-traveled wife

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks like such a cute neighborhood!! Too bad I don't live anywhere near Seattle...my next vacation spot maybe :)
    ~Ellen
    www.everydayfancy.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love this outfit, what a great vest :) Thanks for the inspiration - you're making me crave a hat!

    <3 Megan
    http://kiddotv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. You're making me want to move to Seattle. And I love your hat!
    xo
    Tawni
    Folk & Fables

    ReplyDelete
  37. All of your seattle photos make me so excited for a visit! My bestie moved there over a year ago and a visit is very due!


    --Leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>