Layered Like an Onion: From Summer to Fall

Sep 5, 2013


Layered-Like-An-Onion_zps32bcaef8
It's about that time again- that time where you start saying your tearful goodbyes to all those summer dresses and rompers that have been with you through thick and thin (through boxed wines and sunburns) this summer. Some of them will get briskly packed away into storage boxes with promises to write and stay in touch, but there will be a few that you just can't close the door on yet. But never fear! Layered Like an Onion is here! Today I'm going to show you one way of many to carve out some more alone time with those cute floral numbers. So roll up your sleeves and let's begin.




Final-Answer

Step One: Pick out your romper. This one in particular is from my vintage shop Bear and Twine (which is on sale right now, wink wink), but any ol' romper will do. I'm usually picky about sleeve cuts and such when taking you through the layering process, but since it's just about fall and I can now get away with twenty-seven-hundred layers, that's not going to matter as much. So just get that thing on your body. 

Step Two: We gon' layer- pop a collared blouse on. I think it's a rare day when I leave the house without some sort of collar poking out from under my dress; it's just such an easy way to spice up an outfit. It either adds a burst of color or lets you play with pattern in a non-overwhelming way (here's an example of just what I'm talking about). I chose a pussy-bowed one in particular this time around, mainly because of "step three". Pop down to see why.

Step Three: Grab that jean jacket. Denim neutralizes just about every pattern and color out there, so it's going to be the perfect piece that ties your outfit together into a nice, clean bow. Pair it with any summer romper or dress you have, and try and not look fall-esque. Go on, I dare you. And as you can see, by having a pussy-bow blouse the bow peeks out and doesn't drown under the jacket like a normal, collared blouse would. It adds more of a pop that way!

Step Four: Ah, we're coming to the end now- which means we need to top off our look with some accessories. Put away the citrus colored clutches and instead go for the dark, structured purses. Something about them is so "I'm going to go study under the autumn tress with a pumpkin spiced coffee in my hand". Yea, they convey a lot. And then ta-DA!, we have an outfit that moved it's way over from summer to fall. What do you think- pretty easy?



______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:


BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER • MY SHOP!
______________________________________

17 comments :

  1. love this one Marlen!! that mustard blouse under is the perfect length and color. and your instructions made me laugh. denim totally can make any summer dress perfect for fall. i can't wait to give your layering a shot once it cools down (it'll be 108 today : (
    Cuddly Cacti
    Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say - freaking mater, level pro at layering! I'm gonna use that tip and dress like it, loving this styling.

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! That dress is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest I like it from step 2 and then add a belt with pop flats

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the lesson in style you've got going on here! I love layering blouses underneath dresses... Wishing I could actually do that today, but it's so dang hot outside right now... Bloody Arizona!


    Sincerely, Dani Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my serious summertime sadness will be putting away pretty skirts and hiding lovely tops under jackets!
    This entry idea is lovely :) Love your blog!
    xx Corinne
    cateyesandthighhighs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable! I love that you wore a blouse under the romper!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this one! That blouse is darling and I love it with the denim jacket!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, this is the cutest post I have seen in a long time! Love this and your layering is so perfect! Have a good day and thanks for your comment today!

    Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Swing by and let me know dear! xx Pip
    Easy Outfits by Pip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute look and I'm also digging the layout of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of pairing a blouse underneath a dress or romper! Usually I'm just a cardigan or sweate ron top of the dress but I love what you suggest!

    www.amemoyrofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love denim mixed with prints. Fun ideas, as always! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great tip! I try my best to think of ways to wear anything I buy throughout as many season as possible. I always love new ways to layer, so I loved this post. You're adorable!!

    xoxo Jackie
    somethingaboutthatthing.blogspot.com/

    PS - Loving the title of this post. <3 Shrek!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It always makes me amazed to see how you layer things! I think I could never rock a top under a dress ... I have to try it because you look way too cute while doing it! Love your tips:)

    xoxo

    www.zerxzastyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet post, and a clever way to demo the building blocks of an outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>