Styling Vintage Rompers

Aug 28, 2013

Bear-and-Twine, Vintage, Etsy-romper, vintage-romper, how-to-style-vintage Bear-and-Twine, Vintage, Etsy-romper, vintage-romper, how-to-style-vintage
Why must dumpster lids be so heavy? I had to pull a slap-stick routine to toss my trash in- spinning around with the bag all Mo-and-Curly style to give it some momentum- and nearly flew right into the dumpster with it. New goal: amass some sort of arm strength. This is getting ridiculous.

Belltown, Seattle, architecture-photos, lifestyle-photos photo ff9c0904-3c77-4591-b5fe-0944db79f391_zps45fd7934.jpgBear-and-Twine, Vintage, Etsy-romper, vintage-romper, how-to-style-vintage

Anywho, how sweet is this vintage romper? It used to have hems that reached the ground but it was a bit, shall we say...overwhelming?, to step outside in such a loud outfit. So I whipped out the scissors and after a few scathing rows with the sewing machine here we are! And I've recently been hearing comments that a lot of you find it hard to play with vintage, so I thought I'd give you my thought process when styling vintage. 

  1. A quick way to tone down any color or pattern (here's lookin' at you, 80's era) is to add chambray into it. If you've read my blog for even a week, you'll know that I'm a huge abuser of these little jean blouses. I wear them as buttoned up vests over dresses, I wear them to transform dresses into skirts, and tone down loud vests with kitschy patterns.  They go with everything, and what's even better is that thrift stores are up to their ears in them!
  2.  The easiest and most seamless way to modernize your vintage outfit is with your accessories. If you notice on the bottom of my posts where I list where I get my items, most of my clothing is vintage and almost all of my accessories are from stores like Urban Outfitters or H&M. All you need is a good platform shoe or a statement necklace to make that vintage dress you're wearing go from looking like something you borrowed from your great-aunt's closet to something you bought at Forever 21. In this case, I cinched the waist of the vintage romper with a flower belt I got from J Crew. I then topped it off with a wide brimmed hat (because I cannot live without hats) and slipped into some platform sandals to give it that modern touch. 
Ya see? Easy as pie! PS- this romper is for sale in my store right now ;)

Bear-and-Twine, Vintage, Etsy-romper, vintage-romper, vintage-outfit, how-to-style-vintage
Neon bracelet from Studio Mucci- see their other jewelry choices here!
Bear-and-Twine, Vintage, Etsy-romper, vintage-romper, how-to-style-vintageLifestyle-photo, Seattle photo f18f5ec8-b3a4-4b67-96ad-cde088e60b76_zps3008dd3e.jpgBear-and-Twine, Vintage, Etsy-romper, vintage-romper, vintage-style, how-to-style-vintageBelltown, Seattle, architecture, lifestyle-photo

Romper- for sale in my shop HERE
Belt- J Crew
Bracelet-c/o Studio Mucci
Shoes- Urban Outfitters
Hat- Urban Outfitters

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

35 comments :

  1. This romper looks DARLING on you, it looks like you did a great job hemming it up! I completely agree on your vintage styling tips too. I definitely prefer vintage mixed with some current pieces to keep the look balanced or else I feel like I am playing dress up a little too much!
    xo Hannah
    p.s. I've TOTALLY done the whirling dumpster throw before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these photos! You are adorable, and so is that romper!

    xxS

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely easy to end up having worn a chambray shirt every day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chambray is the solution to everything. Haha I'm not even a big romper person but the way you styled it may have just convinced me to get one before summer ends.

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chambray does add a little something special to this! It updates it and grounds the pattern. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing a romper that's not super short and not actually has long sleeves! I guess it's the beauty of finding a vintage one!

    xo Lisa
    Making Life's Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your styling tips, girl! Most of the time I found this kind of posts kinda boring, but yours are great and what is important, they are useful!

    I love the outfit! Your hat is just gorgeous, it goes so well with your cute hairdo!

    Stay good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures and I love your outfit - it really suits you!! :)
    www.theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! There's a vintage romper that's been at the thrift store the last 3 times I've been there. It's adorable, but I had no idea how to wear it. I might have to rescue it if it's there next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this post! the photos are awesome and as always, so helpful. <3

    http://roseandvintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! So cute xx

    www.itslilylocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you look simply amazing. This style suits you so well! Love the romper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute look !
    it's vintage style !

    following you now, follow me back maybe?

    www.heymarsya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chambray tops with everyone and for everyone!!! Definitely smart to mix vintage and nonvintage pieces to make things a bit more modern :)
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I can totally see myself doing something like that! They are all heavy aren't they??? I don't get why! Except here in the mountains, it is for the bears. They even have it all MacGyver-ed up with a bar over it and stuff. I love your romper! The pattern is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your outfit is so adorable!!! I also laughed at your story about almost falling into the dumpster. Yea, back in high school I worked at Subway and yea I actually did fall in...I am happy to say it was the cardboard dumpster and I walked away with no scratches haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such pretty photos! Was that a rabbit in the guitar case?! Haha awesome!
    Thanks for the tips on styling vintage (and on styling rompers! - I never know how to wear them) I love that you always wear chambray & style it SO many creative ways! You always inspire me!
    Jessi
    http://haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ouuu, I love your romper, the shape and print are so nice! Great hat too; I've been searching for similar to yours in colour and shape, the search goes on. Cute accessories too, they're so bright and colourful. I just wanted to say thank you for your kind comments- I appreciate them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I currently have my vintage romper on sale on Poshmark but after seeing this I'm definitely going to hold on to it.

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I soooo agree about tje dumpsters! Love the denim peeking thru, those denim shirts are so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the way you've styled this! The tip about mixing bold/retro prints with chambray is pretty ingenious. Loving that rosette belt as well :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. A classic job of layering with the chambray top underneath! Love this adorable romper on you :D

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  23. That romper is so wicked. So many ways to style it! <3

    -C.C.

    http://rosecolored-telescope-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore the romper. The bottoms seems like a skirt, but you've got so much more freedom since they're shorts! The print is darling too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Something not quite well with your photos! They all show that Photobucket "Look who's popular" thing!

    XX Red Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  26. :( I can't see the photos! Ugh photocucket...I really wanted to see how you styled the romper, I'm sure you looked so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my goodness, that romper is amazing!!! curse being a poor college student! and totally hear the arm strength thing. like, for real. haha

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh no! your pictures aren't showing! and a bunch in your sidebar too. after hearing you pulled out the scissors on this romper i've really got to see it ( knowing scissors are a bit problematic for us both : ).
    Cuddly Cacti
    Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh no! your pictures aren't showing! and a bunch in your sidebar too. after hearing you pulled out the scissors on this romper i've really got to see it ( knowing scissors are a bit problematic for us both : ).
    Cuddly Cacti
    Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh no, it might just be my computer, but it says that photobucket doesn't have enough bandwith for these photos :(

    Mili from call me, Maeby

    ReplyDelete
  31. i dont know what's happening on here, your photos aren't showing. but judging your pretty words, I am dying to see that vintage romper!

    x
    The Young Bridget Jones

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooh rompers are so fun.. but unfortunately all your pictures are loading..
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. ahhhhhhhhhh! this romper is amazing! i love this outfit, marlen!!

    --Leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>