Pricey Pies in My Mouth

Jul 31, 2013

 photo 6bd72e96-5494-4228-8e5f-f617b5d3fa5d_zps1a1e0e13.jpg photo 55a48c7b-6048-45e8-b1f0-d3c2bb4aaede_zpsf12ff17d.jpg photo 46cb372f-9b0b-47c5-91f4-4b284637076c_zps02c1c9ec.jpg
 photo IMG_5307_zps473599dc.jpg
First off, thank you for everyone who gave me War of the Dishes advice, haha! It was all very helpful and insightful, and I've started redrafting my battle plan. The war paint is back on my cheeks, and this time with a renewed vigor. And it's nice to know everyone goes through it at one point or other- with all sorts of roommates ;)

But now back to our regularly scheduled programming! Even though Marc and I are working on a teeny tiny budget, sometimes the siren song of treats gets to us and we just hand over our credit cards with our hands over our eyes. This little pie shop was one of those times. We were wandering around the neighborhood when I spotted the display window and nearly pressed my nose up against the glass. What's this?, I asked. Mini....pies? I didn't even have to put my big puppy-dog eyes on Marc- he grabbed my hand willingly and marched us right in. And Lord was it glorious. I could sit there all day, just working myself into a blissful sugar coma. 

But a big old no for the coffee, though. I bought a "short" cup for $3.50, assuming it'd be a decent sized small. And instead I got this dixie cup that was 3/4ths foam. Like, what was in there was the exact amount of mouthwash I use in the morning. When the waitress handed it to me I nearly blanched. And what's funnier is that while I was eating my pie and eyeing my cup scornfully, the receipt blew right over on top of my pie, mocking me. I'm shaking my fist at you, barrista. 

 photo bae85e9b-82d4-47a0-81cf-0524de7e81ed_zps6d0797e4.jpg
 photo 0e178b21-ae66-41a9-b659-01dfd877f4ea_zpsad88f397.jpg
 photo IMG_5318_zpsa0b7c7db.jpg
 photo fd269a99-d1a7-404c-8c06-8b222808d49f_zps5a968b7d.jpg
 photo a6a9b577-d133-491b-bbd0-6895962b916e_zpsd44c7f4d.jpg photo IMG_5340_zps5e00a8ec.jpg

 photo c58122d1-4866-4347-9c13-7d590a435c2a_zps7b86d81c.jpg
 photo 8b831443-5b0a-4b93-b8aa-0b88a4aa7265_zpsea36f1ab.jpg
 photo IMG_5314_zpse55047d7.jpg

Dress- for sale in my shop, Bear and Twine, HERE
Hat- UO
Sunnies- UO
Sandals- H&M

PS- Don't forget to enter my Folk and Fables giveaway- it ends Thursday!

 photo 5_zps6d2a7d1b.jpg

______________________________________
             Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

          BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!  ______________________________________

26 comments :

  1. Oooh, those pies look heavenly! Now I'm drooling, even though I've just had my lunch :)! And let's talk about your dress - it's beautiful!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking beautiful as always, Marlen! I'm loving those shades on you.

    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I always want to try everything there, but I've only ever had one thing since they don't make many gluten free options. It all looks so tasty, though!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw personal sized pies at the bakery on Sunday and they're just TOO cute/tasty to pass up. YUMYUMYUM. But 3.50 for a small coffee?! Rip=off!!
    You look darling covered in this floral patterned dress!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah this post is too cute! Those look so yummy and your dress is so perfect and vintage-y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. visiting here with a smile~ =)

    Regards, www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh.. love this dress.. love the sandals and now I want a mini pie.. thanks for that... slipping deep into a sugar coma sounds heavenly right now! :)
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm pies. But for real. Why was the coffee so teensy? That sucks. At least the pies were delicious though!
    I'm kind of in love with your sunglasses here. I like how they're sort of a combination between round and cat eye sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your outfit, the print on the dress is to die for! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute dress! The pies look yum!
    Greetings from Vienna :)

    www.alexavoncanisius.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omgggg these pies look so delicious. And I can't get over you in this mini dress! So so cute!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post - the food looks lush and I adore your cute outfit!! :) Thanks for the comment on my blog! :)
    www.theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such lovely pictures!! Those pies look so scrumptious. What flavour was it??

    Teffy || Teffys Perks Blog ||

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dress is absolutely darling and those leather sandals are so perfect for summer! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment! I loved how the entire town was Bavarian, even the Starbucks, which I knew I had to take a photo of! You should have seen the McDonalds sign too!

    xo jen
    Pearls & Lace

    ReplyDelete
  15. People make mini-pies?!

    Also- lovely outfit, but really, I've just been loving everything about your posts lately. Not that they weren't always great, but something just feels like its been stepped up a notch. The shots of the areas you explore, I think are a big part of it, as is the promotion of vintage/second hand. Great post as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm, pie. It so funny that you're not happy with the coffee size, when I went to the UK and ordered a coffee they served it up in this giant takeaway bucket - I was agog! I much prefer a shot of motor oil to a giant milky does-this-even-have-coffee-in-it drink :-/ never mind, you had a delicious pie to quell your disappointment.

    ♥ Paula Shoe Fiend.
    http://shoe-fiend.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look so fantastic! I love your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You never fail to make me smile Marlen...haha, your writing is simply infectious! Glad you guys treated yourselves, its good to do every now and then. And mini pies? Yes please! Too bad about the coffee though...haha, that's a rip off!
    I'm discovering I love long sleeved dresses. Or mid sleeved dresses in your case, whichever. Aha, its so cute! Love the pleated part of the skirt too.
    Ah, as for roommates breaking up...yes. It was a rough night, but I'm feeling better now. However, I am in a different living situation as of today, and a much healthier one I believe. I was getting taken advantage of for my cleaning lady ways. Unfortunately, its tougher to get two teenage girls to do dishes than it would be to get a love interest to do so, I believe...maybe...I don't know. We'll have to compare.

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those mini pies look so fun! And this dress is so unique looking. You pull it off well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. your outfit is so very pretty!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. TINY PIES!! We have some neighbors who make tiny pumpkin pies. So delicate and cute, they are. I'm sorry you got totz ripped off on the drink but hopefully the tiny precious pies made up for that.

    Also good luck on the dish situation. What if you had every one of your followers message him on Facebook? omg that would be creepy to the max tho

    Your dress has REALLY EXCITING SLEEVES and pleat-y goodness and wow it's just really cute. Like a really cute curtain. I MEAN THAT IN A GOOD WAY. I can't pull off cute curtains. They look like ugly curtains on me huhuh uuhu (walks away sobbing)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my gosh, you grab sweets at the cutest places! i am always stopping for coffee and treats.. even though i am on a strict budget as well! it's something about the simple act of relaxing in a cafe that i can't pass a new one by when i spot it.
    i also love this dress (and it's in your shop!?). and the hat as well!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those pies look lovely! Thankfully I'm not a coffee drinker, but I can sympathize that that cup looks ridiculously tiny!
    This dress is so adorable. I love the pairing of the puffy sleeves with a short skirt, it is so interesting and fresh!
    By the way if I haven't said it yet, I am in love with your Etsy shop. You've been a really huge source of inspiration for me over the past few months actually and I wanted to commend you on your awesomeness :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, super fun photos, as always! Those pies look incredible and I love that dress! The floral is so pretty on you :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>