Layered Like an Onion!

Jul 2, 2013

 photo JulyBlog026_zpsfc21069d.jpg
Step One: Alright, I finally get what you've all been talking about when you say it's "too hot to layer". Seattle decided to turn into a frying pan these past couple of days, and so I've been lying on the carpet in Hanes tees in front of a fan for the past 48 hours. But when I was forced (against my will) out of the apartment, I wanted to throw on something easy and that wouldn't give me heat stroke.

Enter this dress from Lost in Drawers. They have a ton of cap-sleeved, floral dresses to choose from, and I've been wearing this one in particular into the ground since I got it. So, you know, Step One: Put on the dress.  
 photo JulyBlog029_zps16381725.jpg
Step Two: Next, I've seen all these different ways to layer a dress. Put a skirt over it and make it into a shirt, put a collared blouse over it and make it into a skirt, layer a second dress under it, use it as a vest and pop a blouse under it- the list goes on and on. But for them extra hot days where comfort is key, I decided to pair it with a pair of baggy overalls, turning the pretty floral dress into a girly accent piece. 

 photo JulyBlog054_zpsd5ce1e86.jpg
Step Three: Lastly, I know that with overalls there's a huge love-hate divide between people, where some are embracing it and others are backing away with their fingers crossed in an X-like fashion. I heard the main complaint to be that the overalls morph some people's bodies and make them look more short or stocky then they normally are. And my easy-fix for that problem is to create a line that will cut your body at the waist, erasing that stocky effect! My favorite way to do that is to tie a cardi around my waist (especially when belts just won't work). That gives you an extra layer to create interest in the outfit, and is a fun chance to play with patterns!

What do you think? Do you have any fun tips for styling overalls?

Dress- c/o Lost in Drawers
Overalls- for sale in my shop HERE
Shoes- UO (recent)
Cardi- F21

PS- Don't forget to enter my Rust Belt Threads $50 Gift Card giveaway! It's July- I know you need some new summer dresses. Go enter HERE!

______________________________________
             Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

                BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!  ______________________________________

23 comments :

  1. I like this step format.

    I would have never thought to put overalls over a dress. Your layering ideas continue to blow my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY? YOU CAN PUT OVERALLS OVER A DRESS AND LOOK GOOD. YOU"RE A WIZARD, MARLEN.

    That was in all caps, but it wasn't meant to be and I'm too lazy to re-type it. Read it in a Hagrid voice plz and thank u.

    I really think the overall trend is cute. If I got one, I'd definitely belt it or something or try to find one that was a little more tucked in at the waist. You styled it soooo cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. layering is a tricky technique..you can't just pile up clothes or it will be look to bulky..but here I must congratulate you Marilyn, job well done :)


    thinkerbellethoughts.blogspot.com

    P.S I love the fonts you used in the first photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outfit, and especially the dress! You look great! :)
    xx nathalista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, I just looked through your blog and you are the expert at layering! I have to layer because Ireland's weather is so changeable it could be hot and sunny on minute and cold, windy and raining the next!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cool way to style some humble dungarees. So 90's! I love this trend right now, especially the leather dungarees however they look horrid on myself LOL, I'm too short for 'em!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, out of all your layered looks, I think this one's my fave! I like how it ended up and the way you're rocking the overalls. I won't lie, there's a rack of overalls over at Walmart that I pass by every now and then and I can't help but kind of fiddle with it and wonder if I should get it...
    You're making me think I should!

    Haha, and oh man, these girls are killing me. Thankfully, my other roommate Corina is pretty cleanly and has a penchant for decorating as well. So at least we all balance each other out :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the dress alone but the end result with overalls and a cardi is super cute and fun. The cardi really does act as a belt but also adds so much to the out fit in terms of color and texture and pattern.
    Jen
    http://fashionablyfestive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the overalls and think you look adorable in them! I lived in overalls as a kid, so there's a big part of me that's happy to see them return (even if I never wear another pair again). Hope you're settling into life in Seattle! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, you are so good at layering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Basically genius and so so cute!! That dress is adorable to begin with!!

    Http://streetlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love your style! Such a pretty dress, and what a clever idea to layer overalls over it. You're an amazing writer by the way! Will most definitely follow via Bloglovin

    www.thischarmingwanderer.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post! There's no reason not to layer in the summer, it creates a lovely look

    andrea-herinfinitevariety.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like I said a trizillion times before, you're a master of layering for sure! Love how you take us step to step to the perfect "onion" look :). And you're freaking gorgeous, as always :).

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel a bit nerdy and not very fashion forward but I just love the dress plain without additions. I don't do the whole x thing but I'm not that enthousiastic :)

    xx

    liquoriceandpumps.blogspot.com

    ps: if you could send some of that heat to the hague, the netherlands that would be much appreciated ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh....I've never thought of that...putting overalls over a dress!! Blew my mind!! Glad you're enjoying Seattle...it really is great here!
    Plus you really do rock that short hair!
    Xoxo

    jamncookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay, I love overalls! I'm searching for one long ago and haven't found it yet! All the three layers look good, that dress is beautiful and I think it is soo cool you were wearing it under the overall. ;))
    Have a beautiful day!
    Juci
    http://pinterjuci.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely outfit!:) cute and comfy at once♥

    www.lorietta.cz

    ReplyDelete
  19. You pull off overalls like nobody else. This is so cute, I actually want to try it, but I know that overalls would make me look five and stocky, and I'd rather not go there. :D Great ideas, though! And I love the outfit on you!
    And I've said it twice already, but I'm so in love with your hair...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally loving you in these overalls, you look adorable! I think the classiest way to put a spin on them is to wear a striped boatneck tee under a dark-wash pair. And a pair of sexy wedges always makes them look more feminine and less hillbilly!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you look great in overalls! I never would have thought to wear a dress with them, but it really works! I'm definitely embracing the overall trend. It's the 90s kid in me. I can see where people are worried about stumpy stockiness though. I guess I just ignore it? I'm already short so... heels help? Haha. I think these look cute on you though!

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>