Layered Like an Onion: Crop Top Edition

Jul 12, 2013

 photo JulyBlog075_zpsf44fa77f.jpg
So after seeing the awesome crop top post Jenna from Smitten whipped up, I wanted to take a stab at styling this summer staple, too. I know a lot of people are all in when it comes to crop tops, but I also know that quite a few girls worry it might not be modest enough for them, or they just don't know how to style it that's not Britney Spears circa 2001. It's a fine line, I know. So here's one of my favorite ways to make it work!

 photo JulyBlog004_zps948f3288.jpg
Step One: Put a collared shirt under it! I chose this polka-dot one because I like how the dots add some pattern to the look already, but for all the people living in frying-pan-hot states, a short sleeve shirt works just as well. Just make sure it's collared!

 photo JulyBlog026_zps1b738d2e.jpg
Step Two: Add a high-waisted bottom! High-waisted shorts work well too, but I just feel more comfy in skirts (just because I don't need my thighs judging me all day long). I also made sure to add a belt so it creates a line just under your rib cage, and makes the outfit look more proportional. If you're not that big into layering, then your outfit is done here! But if you're feeling adventurous and, my personal favorite, sassy, move onto Step Three.

 photo JulyBlog040_zps398acba4.jpg
Step Three: Top it all off with a vest. I would especially recommend this if your crop top does not have thick straps like mine. Tank-top or spaghetti straps look a little strange when layered over tops, so you can easily hide those with a little vest. I chose this military one just because I'm wearing a jean skirt. And if you don't have a vest like this, I suggest going to the thrift store and finding a military jacket, and then snipping off the sleeves. Or you can try Old Navy- they always have these every summer ;)

If you yourself have styled a crop top recently, leave a comment with a link to your post! I'd love to feature some of my favorite looks this week to go along with this theme!

Also, do you have any other specific pieces you'd like me to show you how to layer? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

PS- The winner of my Adelaide's Vintage giveaway is Elana Katz! Yaaay! I'll be emailing you with the details. For those of you that didn't win, don't worry. I have two more giveaways going right now: enter HERE and HERE
______________________________________
             Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

       BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!  ______________________________________

29 comments :

  1. THIS IS GENIUS. I actually quite like the way the crop top looks with just the blouse underneath but all the layers are so great together. You bet your bottom dollar (who says that?) i'm going to be trying this :)
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a lovely crop top :)



    http://chocolatefashioncoffee.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya when it comes to shorts....I just can't. Too much inner judging. But skirts I'm all about! Also can I just steal all your layers?! I sometimes love to layer and other times lazy and feel overwhelmed. You make layering the best ever!
    Much love,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING tutorial!! I love the final look, and it is such an unexpected way to wear a crop top! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm always so impressed with your layering! Love the idea of wearing a crop top over a dress or another top. I've seen some amazing-looking crop tops, but have put them back quickly cus my stomach is not ready to face the world ;) But this is a great solution! Love the way you've paired it with the denim :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see everybody wearing crop tops recently, but I haven't seen them layered before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love that way the crop top looks layered over the collared shirt!

    Hey, if you're not already planning on it, you should head to Urban Craft Uprising this weekend. My friend Katie and I will both be volunteering on Saturday if you want to say hello!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. my go-to is high waisted skirts too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!!! Layers are my favorite, and you did it perfectly- such fun/cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the way you styled this. thank you for providing an idea to style a crop top that is different and does not involve showing excessive amounts of skin! it's a breath of fresh air :)

    MI Vivere

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love this post! What a cute and creative way to style a crop top! There are so many cute ones out right now in the most adorable prints, and I always pass them up because they show too much or don't work with local weather.

    -Jessica
    www.thischarmingwanderer.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are a genius! i have to say i'm usually not a fan of crop tops but maybe that's because they're usually not fitted. i like the button down underneath, i'll have to try something similar soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're pretty much a layering genius. Love this segment. Teach me your layering waaaaaaaaaaaayz!
    xo
    ashley
    www.thephotogramps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOh loving the layering! This is a great look for those of us afraid to bare the midriff ;-)

    <3 Paula Shoe Fiend.
    http://shoe-fiend.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  15. love how you style it!
    i have just followed your blog via GFC
    follow mine if you like it <3
    xoxo
    style frontier

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Marilyn!
    I love this post! It is so helpful...
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment... I love your blog and I am your newest follower... Please follow back if you like my blog... <3
    Neha
    Let's talk about everything

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a really good way to wear crop top if you don't want to be Britney Spears! haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! so helpful, might have to give this a go... :) xx

    http://roseandvintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! As always! And that green vest is pretty rad too!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. You styled it amazing! I would've never thought of all these possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "and my personal favorite, sassy"--haha, don't you LOVE THOSE DAYS? Those are the best days of all. I really like this, because I always see cute crops tops but am all, "What if I eat three apple slices and suddenly poof up?? AND LOSE MY MODEL FIGURE???/" and that is why I fear them. This would be much easier... or layering it over a dress, even!

    also yea in response, I totally am a slow poster. u ____u I only post like once a week but gosh what do you expect I AM A BUSY GAL WITH MY VIDEO GAMES AND CLASS TWICE A WEEK

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooooooh! Good call on the crop top with a high-waisted skirt! I've been trying to figure out how to wear a crop top all summer and I just can't figure it all out. It's one of those trends that the teacher side of me (you know... the one that has to follow a dress code) just can't take the plunge into!


    : signe
    : the daily savant :
    : the daily savant : Blog Lovin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great outfits! So pretty:)

    bloglovin.com/blog/3880191

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love this outfit! the crop top is so pretty, and the shirt is cute, too. you are a professor in layering! ;))

    Juci
    http://pinterjuci.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhh this crop top is so cute! Love how you remixed it!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  26. My latest look, totally involved a crop top. I layered it up, as well, but a bit differently.

    Check it out here!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are a layering queen! I would have never thought to do this.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>