Grunge Me Up

Jul 10, 2013

 photo 8a947656-cf65-4c90-81f6-d86096d52b55_zpsc79f048e.jpg
 photo 8bf28458-8f62-4f36-bc29-b762d1069c2c_zps25d3107a.jpg
 photo fa69c4bc-6d67-4216-a130-04afdcee13f5_zps44bd95df.jpg photo JulyBlog122_zps9ce4e488.jpg
When I first received this dress from Aristocards, I wanted to do this whole bohemian, bangs in my eyes, 3,000 rings on my fingers type of look. Like a dirty hippie vibe, if you will. 

But then chop went my hair and I looked like I should have a patch of white sunblock on my nose when I donned my floppy hat, so that idea had to be scrapped.

But there's just something about this dress that could not be sweetened up. Like it had its own aura, and the aura eyed me and was all like "you put a cardi on me and you die". 

So a cardi I did not put on. Instead I decided to just really channel the 90's kid inside me and go for a full-on grunge look. The dress, thankfully, was appeased. 

Also, I have now fallen in love with the whole denim-collar-matching-the-Levis-jacket look. This may or may not turn into a 90's blog now. Keep an eye out for Kurt Cobain mixed with Blossom looks- you'll love it. Also, this just shows you that no matter what the piece, you'll always find a way to make it your own :)

Aristocards is a vintage store that's got a huge curation of bold prints, and the inspiration behind Andrea's choices is contemporary art, nature, and world travel. So ya know it's got some interesting items to get your creativity flowing. You can come check it out and say hi to Andrea HERE!

 photo JulyBlog068_zpsabe3ada6.jpg photo JulyBlog061_zpsa144ac3f.jpg
 photo 3614ad5a-93e4-46c0-81f1-bef34bc236ef_zpsff551de7.jpg
 photo 16c2fd39-ade3-4945-b985-49050563d873_zps99b1b076.jpg
 photo b79ec301-95e6-4ed8-8671-14917b7a9a21_zpsff7f0ae2.jpg
 photo JulyBlog115x_zps3ff93220.jpg photo JulyBlog101_zpsc15914a7.jpg
So sweet story: Yesterday I was trying to pick out what to wear from my intensely messy closet, and whilst doing so Marc kept trying to execute Judo moves that he's been learning on Youtube on me. This is what living with a boy is like, people. So as he tried to lock my knee for the third time in a row as I scowled at the ball of blouses I had on the floor, I snapped and told him to go play on his own. I even threw a scowl.

But instead of doing as I said and walking away grumbling, he did this cute little frown-smile hybrid and made to go hug me, but instead put an arm around me and spun us into a waltz across the living room floor. Haha yea, one cannot stay mad at this guy. He makes it irritatingly impossible. 
 photo b73cedfc-d5f1-41e5-8e22-473833151863_zps7f4ad830.jpg
 photo 441c9ed9-c758-4862-bfd8-b6feb82f74ac_zpscd83411b.jpg
 photo ad2d70c8-dd16-4644-868b-6bac71829826_zps62a5ed1f.jpg photo JulyBlog086_zpsbcb4a4c7.jpg
Also, this is what we've been doing all week. Just walking around and sight-seeing. Ah the life of unemployment. 
 photo 211b17ee-6f48-46b4-b51f-a306a4185fc9_zpse4131069.jpg
 photo ac540255-f97c-4f83-a787-a8a3dab3fdfc_zps71d274d8.jpg
 photo JulyBlog095_zps17b16e0b.jpg photo JulyBlog219_zps7ca35e36.jpg
Marc's been working on his frowning, haha. Muuuch better, wouldn't you say? See his original try here ;)

Now, since I nabbed this one-of-a-kind dress, I thought I'd pick a few of my Astrocards favorites for you. Which ones your favorite?
 photo astro_zps6a908cfa.jpg
1/ 2/ 3/ 4

Dress- c/o Aristocards
Jean jacket- Levis, thrifted
Shoes- UO
Plaid shirt- stolen from Marc

PS- I'm in a Lucky competition and need your votes to win!! Follow this link and vote for yours truly- you don't have to sign in or anything!: http://lcky.mg/16jjH5K

PPS- Today is your LAST CHANCE to enter my $25 Adelaide's giveaway! The store has the most girly dresses you could hope for, so make sure to enter here for your chance to win one!

And while you're at it, increase your chances for some swag by also entering my Sweet and Sour Vintage giveaway HERE!

______________________________________
             Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

          BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!  ______________________________________

29 comments :

  1. Beautiful shots of the city!

    Steve is stuck in the 90's in the biggest possible way, which I don't really mind because it makes me feel that much more confident wearing the greatest fabric known to mankind aka flannel, on an extremely regular basis.

    Thank goodness I'm not a size small (said no woman ever? this comment is history in the making folks) because if I was I would have already spent $58 i don't have on that Aristocards maxi skirt. Gorgeousness.

    <3becky
    www.loosefromthezoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair! It's really super pretty. But I know how you feel.... It feels impossible to do the bohemian look without long waves.

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures/scenery! And I love your shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh love the skirt!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress wants what it wants!! And it wants to be grunge, it looks ammmmazing like this. So many denim layyyyers, I'm feelin the grunge vibe
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love denim jackets paired with dresses--definitely helps add to that "tough" look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures of Seattle are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, i'm melting over the waltz story. Hehe, that's so cute :) Also, his frown face has definitely improved. Way to go!
    I love the grunge feel you went with, that dress does have that grungy aura, doesn't it?

    Enter to win a Snoozer Loser pendant!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you seriously live in a wonderful place, look at all these pics, amazing! Love the grungy take you did on the dress, I'd have liked the bohemian look but the grunge one is totally cool! Marc and you sound so cute!

    Cee. ♥
    Code Overdressed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this dress. I think it'd look great with the bohemian look you described but like it in the 90's way you styled it, too! See, I would have committed a sin and wore it with a cardi and some sweet flats (to be work appropriate). What kind of sleeves does it have, if any?

    Katie
    Katiemariev.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks so much for dropping by in my blog.
    such a lovely outfit! love your blog. care to follow each other? let me know.

    kisses,
    Joan
    www.streetblush.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the surrounding and the pictures - surrounding is just picturesque! :)

    xoxo

    http://zerxzastyle.blogspot.com/
    http://facebook.com/zerxza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg I seriously laughed out loud at that "throw a cardi on me..." line!


    ReplyDelete
  14. You've definitely got a serious 90s look. Something about the actual photos as well as the outfit makes it seem that way too. If there are 90s colours? I love all those boats! I always love walking by harbours and looking at all the names people give their boats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has been so interesting to see the direction your blog has taken these past several weeks. The shift to highlight different vintage shops really is different from what I've seen on the blogosphere. It is nice.

    Also- your boy is adorable. But you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. okay, omg your hair! so adorable!

    and this dress is awesome. it works so well for you. I think you can wear whatever you like and not think twice about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the dress, the whole look, everything! Loved your blog and will come back for sure! I find it very inspirational...

    Oh, I just started following you on GFC by the way! Hope you come by my blog sometime too! Would love to know what you think about it, and maybe follow me back if you like it? We can also follow each other everywhere else;)!

    These are my links hun <3:
    Instant Milk link
    Facebook page link
    Twitter link
    Bloglovin link

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos!
    Fish sounds soooo good right now. :)

    xo Lisa
    Making Life's Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tot. cool how you make any look your own! Can you imagine being our age in the 50’s where you HAD to dress a certain way all the time? My mom had to back then and in the 60’s and still talks about hating it and loving when the 70’s came around and she didn’t “have to” style her hair. Cute story about you and your man. I think mine and I need a vacay from work for a bit to be sweet like that again… I prob shouldn’t admit that. Anywho, Seattle looks awesome and this dress is equally awesome, as is the denim jacket. I had no idea it was jacket weather in summer still in Seattle, crazy!
    My blog: Cuddly Cacti
    My E-Shop: Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome pictures. I love the one of the boats!

    S&R

    New Post!
    http://www.cattaildown.com/my-blog/2013/07/cosmetic-pouch-essentials.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gah, I love this look! So up my alley. The mix of prints is great and the layers of denim look fantastic. Bookmarking this one for sure- great inspiration! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos, as always! I seriously cannot get over how amazing you are at layering. Seriously. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i'm in love with your photos, so gorgeous! following you now on bloglovin.. :)

    Ira
    Randoms of Ira

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOve that you went for the nineties vibe! The nineties were way cooler than the bohemian times anyway, haha ^^ This is such a pretty dress, and I'm not sure I've mentioned it, but I love your shorter hair ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I feel like I've been missing out - when did you get that fab hair cut?! It suits you awesomely! You are so pretty girl :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dress, yes.
    Awesome pics, yes.
    (2) skirt, yes.
    frowns getting better, yes.
    love this post, YES!:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holy crap, your hair is gone and you look absolutely adorable! You really pull it off, cutie patootie. (: And you rock the grunge look too! Who knew?

    May the Force be with you.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how 90s this is! The double denim with the collar and jacket is fantastic. So is the print on that dress!

    I really enjoyed the story about judo moves too! Don't you love how they make it difficult to be angry at them?

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>